Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real IRA claims that 'The War Is Back On'

Options
  • 03-02-2008 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere on boards. Mods, feel free to close this or move it if need be.

From today's Sunday Tribune

Real IRA: 'The war is back on'

THE Real IRA says it is preparing to launch a new offensive after a major three-year internal reorganisation.

The paramilitary organisation said police officers in the north would be primary targets in its campaign.

"With more attacks on the RUC/PSNI we believe we can reach the stage where British soldiers are brought back onto the streets to bolster the cops.

"This will shatter the facade that the British presence has gone and normality reigns.

People will once again be made visibly aware that we remain occupied, " the dissidents said.

In its first interview in five years, two members of the Real IRA army council met the Sunday Tribune at a location near the border. The newspaper was also given photographs and a DVD of six heavily-armed Real IRA members on a training exercise near a British security watchtower along the border.

The Real IRA said that, after substantial restructuring, which saw some members in Belfast and elsewhere dismissed and units that "weren't up to scratch" disbanded, it now had "a new confidence".

The attempted murder of two police officers in Derry and Dungannon in November showed "the IRA believed it could kill a cop and take whatever the state threw at it". The Real IRA hasn't bombed Britain in six years. When asked if this was to change, the army council representative said: "We will attack Britain where and when we see fit. The law of averages suggests the longer a target hasn't been hit, then the more likely it is to be attacked."

The paramilitary group warned of firebomb attacks on shops and businesses in the north. Although it views members of the Stormont executive, including Martin McGuinness, as "British ministers" and hence "legitimate targets", it is unlikely to attack them.

"Targets aren't always chosen on legitimacy but on whether hitting them would be politically expedient or counter-productive and on the likely effect on public support, " the Real IRA leader said. But this decision would be "kept under review".

In a controversial claim, the Real IRA alleged it had "minimal involvement" in the Omagh bomb: "Our codeword was used . . . nothing more. To have stated this at the time would have been lost in an understandable wave of emotion. That is the only detail on Omagh we're prepared to give at the moment."

Previously, it had been claimed in some quarters that while the Real IRA made the bomb, Continuity IRA members planted it. However, the Real IRA is now alleging it didn't even make the bomb. Coming 10 years after the atrocity in which 29 people were killed, and without any detailed information to support its claim, the Real IRA's statement will be treated with scepticism.

The Real IRA denied reports it wanted to unite with Continuity IRA or INLA. It would work with both "on issues where there is common ground", but there would be no joint operations. "We are not seeking to amalgamate three armies into a 'super republican group', " the army council member said. He denounced Sinn Fein and Provisional IRA leaders for urging people to pass information about Real IRA attacks to the PSNI. The Real IRA said it wasn't engaged in any direct or indirect talks with the British or Irish governments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Neither breakingnews or rte.ie have it up on their site. What is the source you are getting this from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I quoted the source at the start. It's from today's Sunday Tribune Link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

'oohh look at us, we're still relevant'

bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

On who's behalf are these guys fighting at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Would a cat pic depicting a message to these retards along the lines of..

"SHUT THE F*** UP AND DIE" be appropriate in the politics forum? :D

I doubt it, but its what im saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You have to love the justification behind it:

"Emm ..well ...basically "the Brits" have all but gone out of NI, so we are going to bomb the shyte out of it so that they have to come back and we can prove to you once more that this is in fact an occupied territory"

yeah ...right ...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

the ira are idiots. if they're not blowing up innocent people they're fighting with each other and beating teenagers to death!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

hmmmm, this will be interesting.....

I presume the yanks now owe the brits a big favour when it comes to fighting terrorism

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I hope they're just a shower of mouths trying to make themselves sound important. It would be a real sickener if they were to spark things off again. You can think what you want about the situation in the north but anything is better than having to get soldiers back on the streets, shootings, bombings etc. Who the hell wants to go back to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Good friend of mine lives in Donegal and involved in Sinn Fein. His comment about the attempted murder of the PSNI officer dropping his kids of at school : "There was bloody uproar. People all over the place I was talking to were angry. What the f*ck do they think they're up to ?"

Folks, face it : the overwhelming majority of people all over Ireland have given their solid support to The Good Friday Agreement. The PSNI is definitly not the Orange militia the RUC used to be and future constitutional matters regarding sovereignty have been designated to be dealt with by referendum North and South. The local powersharing cabinet is up and running and all in all doing a good job. Equality and human rights issues are being dealt with in a very serious way. All this to the satisfaction of a vast majority of people North as well as South !

SO WHERE THE HELL DOES THE REAL IRA THINK THEY GET THEIR MANDATE FROM ?????

It's not like it's 1969 again and Nationalist communities are under attack from Loyalists and the RUC militia.

Never mind that, the warped logic behind the reason for trying to step up the attacks on PSNI and maybe commercial premises would make Osama go green with envy. Straight out of the looney bin ****e.

Looks like this particular sort of "patriot" needs to stir a bit of trouble to divert police and customs efforts away from ciggie and diesel smuggling and in the meantime under the guise of "revolutionary tax" a bit of racketeering will provide the bread and butter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

There's still alot of British soilders around my way.

I don't see all that much of a difference between now and five years ago.
    But the 'powers' that be, say there is.

Still i don't agree with all the fire bombing that's going on,though i 'm not gonna condemn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

All these guys no matter what label they give themselves, Real IRA, Continunity IRA, pIRA, UVF, UDA, INLA now they are all at the end of the day gangsters. Small little people pretending to be men.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Idiots. Just when everyone's pretty much settled down and gotten back to worrying about nothing more than what pint to order at the pub, they want to start that crap up again.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There are 5,000 in the entirety of the north at the moment when resident battalions are not deployed elsewhere - significantly less when they are. Considering the high tempo the uk military is operating under at the moment I think it's fair to say that it'll be unusual for there to be anywhere near that many in the north for any period of time over the next few years.

There were 27,000 deployed in 1972 for perspective..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

I'm well aware of the statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Firetrap wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere on boards. Mods, feel free to close this or move it if need be.

From today's Sunday Tribune

Real IRA: 'The war is back on'

The paramilitary organisation said police officers in the north would be primary targets in its campaign.

"With more attacks on the RUC/PSNI we believe we can reach the stage where British soldiers are brought back onto the streets to bolster the cops.

"This will shatter the facade that the British presence has gone and normality reigns.

People will once again be made visibly aware that we remain occupied, " the dissidents said.

I.

So this basically boils down to 'were going to stir **** in order to provoke a response from people who don't want to be there at all.'

God this is like saying were going to stick our hand in a fire in order to prove that its possible to be burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Still i don't agree with all the fire bombing that's going on,though i 'm not gonna condemn them.

So will you condemn them if they start murdering people then Bob?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭SeanW

I saw this in one of the Sunday papers too.

>_< what a bunch of ****wits. There's no more mistreatment of the Northern Nationalist community, the troubles are over and everyones happy not only that the killings have stopped but that NI is starting to get an economy together and start making progress - with a government of Martin McGuiness and Ian Paisely sharing power no less.

I hope the PSNI can handle these dipsticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,239 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just when I was begining to think it might be safe to visit Belfast...

As for USA owing Britain: forgive me for my youth, but didn't Bill Clinton expend a lot of energy in trying to resolve the Northern Ireland situation?

If they call themselves an army, why resort to acts of petty guerilla terrorism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's great... just what NI needs... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Some scumbag firebombs a shop in my town, I'm going to condemn them. Some jumped-up bully who thinks he's a big man because he's got a gun puts innocent lives at risk, I'm going to condemn them. Someone who has to resort to violence because their ideas are so friggin' insane that they can't get an electoral mandate deserves nothing whatsoever but condemnation from right-thinking people.

Sadly, there seem to be enough of the other kind of people around to allow these scumbags to stay at large.
    I'm well aware of the statistics.
    Since when did facts change anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Firetrap wrote: »

LOL ..

So to shatter the "facade" that normality reigns they are going to start blowing up the police ... brilliant!! Oh the irony, you couldn't make that up.

what a bunch of morons :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The real IRA must be getting bored living in the real world to come out with this crap. Everybody has moved on, thankfully. They should go out to Afghanistan and join the Taliban or Al-Qaeda if they want to kill innocent people. Ireland does not need this crap not now or ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

I think its time for the special branch, and military intelligence to get serious and root these lunatics out for once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I think as part of our counteroffensive to these f*cktards we should kick all the chuckies off boards :).... plz? passing the majority of one's time in generic anti-brit thread #142938472 in the history & heritage forum saying "The IRA never killed any innocent civilians, and if they did it was justified." and "800 years of oppression" (without tongue in cheek) should be damned sufficient grounds for dismissal from our internets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

peasant wrote: »
    You have to love the justification behind it:

"Emm ..well ...basically "the Brits" have all but gone out of NI, so we are going to bomb the shyte out of it so that they have to come back and we can prove to you once more that this is in fact an occupied territory"

yeah ...right ...

Ah yes but you see, the Brits havent gone away you know & they remain in the form of one million Unionists & the North's current position within the United Kingdom.

Sadly for all concerned, the 'Real IRA' do not recognise that we all voted in the GFA to allow the people of this island to determine their own future (Irish & British alike) the problem being that the 'Real IRA' do not recognise that the majority of people living in the North are indeed British & wish to remain so, thankfully those narrow minded IRA trouble makers are in a tiny minority.

I doubt very much if they have the capacity or the ability to launch a Bobbing campaign, specially after 9/11, which also spelt the 'death knell' for the Provisional IRAs 35 year campaign.

Terrorism will no longer be tolerated on this island 'Hopefully' . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

It's a plain message from the Irish People to any RA Upstart.
    F**k off you don't represent my interests you f*c*ing tools.

Seriously, It does sounds like the peoples front of judea had a meeting.

I condem them, Fukem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

I think its time for the special branch, and military intelligence to get serious and root these lunatics out for once and for all.

That's a ridiculous comment to make as it is the same extreme being taken by the R.I.R.A.
    passive wrote: »
    I think as part of our counteroffensive to these f*cktards we should kick all the chuckies off boards :).... plz? passing the majority of one's time in generic anti-brit thread #142938472 in the history & heritage forum saying "The IRA never killed any innocent civilians, and if they did it was justified." and "800 years of oppression" (without tongue in cheek) should be damned sufficient grounds for dismissal from our internets...

This is a comment that would have went down well in N.I. about thrity years ago. I think you might have been born just a little to late. The great freedom that the internet and boards like this provide is that we all have the right to air our views. You may agree or disagree with them but you may not censor them. I will fight that position till my dying days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

How do the Real IRA not see that far more has been achieved in the last few years of peace for the Republican cause than in all the decades before.

Putting aside their disturbing and sickening lack in value of human life , they are showing themselves as utterly ignorant and stupid in their understanding of politics of the North. They will not achieve anything but cause huge suffering to both Unionists and Nationalists.
    Anyone that suppports this kind of behaviour show be locked up in Guatanamo and tortured like the terrorists they are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I thought the real IRA gave up and this bullsh!t years ago, before the provos? Its probably people who aren't even connected to the real IRA but who have taken on the name. The last group of wackos basically.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement