Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real IRA claims that 'The War Is Back On'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

dav32cs wrote: »
    Oglaigh na hEireann had a minimal part to play in this event.
    Oglaigh na hEireann had no involvement whatsoever I should hope.
    There are still basically the same amount of troops in NI that is in IRAQ!!!!
    Why does that surprise you though? Iraq is foreign to the British Army. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is home soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm away on the beer in a while so I'll try and be brief,

Wicknight,
    For example, in 1993 the Provisional IRA placed two bombs in litter bins outside a Boots and an Argos in Warrington, Cheshire (the purpose of placing bombs in this manner is to produce shrapnel that will injure indiscriminately), that killed 2 children and injured 54. The first bomb was placed to drive shoppers into the blast of the second bomb

First of all you haven't a clue what you're on about. Bombs are placed in litter bins as they are effective places in central business districts (CBDs) to utilise. They hide the bomb and the person placing it looks like they are simply disposing of rubbish. Anti-personnell devices are usually wrapped with corrogated cardboard with nails taped to the indents, that or smarties tubes filled with ball-bearings. Likewise, if their intention was to massacre civilians then a lot more than two would have died, the majority of IRA bombs went off without injuring anyone due to warnings issued. If you want an example of bombing with a view to civilian massacres have a look at Hamas or Al Qaeda.
    Now perhaps you want to explain to me what the military significance of Argos is that excuses the murder of 2 children?

Those sort of bombs were placed with a view to damage CBDs through structural damage as well as the revenues lost and insurance paid out. The likes of Warrington, Manchester, Coventry etc were to expand the campaign outside of London and demonstrate the IRA's capacity to strike anywhere in England.
    Funny, I thought they were a group of thugs and murderers.

Yeah, that's right, a shower of illiterate, estate-bred eejits devoid of humanity... :rolleyes:

OB,
    Leaving aside the fact that I don't believe for a second that they didn't intend to kill people, any attempt to dilute the guilt of those involves sickens me.

Sure you're always going on about how things "sickens me", I'd say you need to keep a bucket handy everytime you log in here. I'm not justifying the Omagh bomb at all, neither am I a supporter of the RIRA or armed struggle in general. My only point is that the Reals didn't sit around one day and come up with a scheme to see how many Nationalists they could kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

In fairness its about time the RIRA etc etc realize the only way the north and the south will be united is if the nationalist birth rate continues higher than the protestant one. Then the majority (in theory) would eventually want to be with Ireland

Even at that the UK would probably keep east of the Bann.

So its about time these half assed schmucks got over their wasteful lives and did something useful, only knowing these kinda people they probably couldn't hold up a job at Tesco's. These Real IRA folks aren't nationalists. They are a group of useless knackers who are too lazy to live a proper life and just want an excuse to feel like their real men.

I tell you the real men are those like Hume who, in the middle of the Troubles, never picked up a gun as the easy way out and kept persisting at peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

murphaph wrote: »
    Oglaigh na hEireann had no involvement whatsoever I should hope.

Different viewpoints mate no need to try and pick out little points that you know will go nowhere....
    turgon, your statement on the birthrate needing to be 'higher than the protestant one' just shows your coming from the false secterian POV which you have accepted.
    The way you make such a generalisation about working in tesco,lazy schmucks...knackers etc....I'm sure you've met a few of them to form this viewpoint or is this just further showing your narrow mindedness???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Different viewpoints? To be honest, implicating the Irish Defence Forces is a pretty massive screw-up there.

• Advertisement

No not really if you actually think about it.

Different viewpoints mate no need to try and pick out little points that you know will go nowhere....
    Hardly a little point. People who call the PIRA "Oglaigh na hEireann" despite the fact that that is the official name of our defence forces often believe our country (26 county RoI) to be illigitimate. Do you believe this to be the case or no?
    turgon, your statement on the birthrate needing to be 'higher than the protestant one' just shows your coming from the false secterian POV which you have accepted.
    True. There are a good proportion of catholics who are unionist, even though many wouldn't say so in public but come to the crunch would vote against secession from the United Kingdom. In fact I'd confidently say there are many more catholic unionists than protestant nationalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

FTA69 wrote: »
    Likewise, if their intention was to massacre civilians then a lot more than two would have died...
    What they INTENDED to do is irrelevant; it's what they ACTUALLY did that's important, i.e. killing and maiming. What's more, the IRA was fully aware of the strong possibility that human lives would be lost as a direct result of their actions.
    Those sort of bombs were placed with a view to damage CBDs through structural damage as well as the revenues lost and insurance paid out.
    And in doing so, it was accepted that human casualties were a strong possibility, particularly in the case of the Arndale Shopping Centre bombing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

djpbarry wrote: »
    What they INTENDED to do is irrelevant; it's what they ACTUALLY did that's important, i.e. killing and maiming. What's more, the IRA was fully aware of the strong possibility that human lives would be lost as a direct result of their actions.
    And in doing so, it was accepted that human casualties were a strong possibility, particularly in the case of the Arndale Shopping Centre bombing.

I agree but the same point could be made about any army in the world.

For the most part the only difference between the IRA and the UK/US/French armies is backing by a recognised government.

Lord Mountbatten is a case in point. Absolute atrocity where innocent people lost their lives, of course it is recognised as such. Now the killing of Uday and Qusay hussein by US armed forces.....again many innocent people lost their lives yet it is seen as a successful military operation.

My point is every army takes part in atrocities.

Hardly a little point. People who call the PIRA "Oglaigh na hEireann" despite the fact that that is the official name of our defence forces often believe our country (26 county RoI) to be illigitimate. Do you believe this to be the case or no?

True. There are a good proportion of catholics who are unionist, even though many wouldn't say so in public but come to the crunch would vote against secession from the United Kingdom. In fact I'd confidently say there are many more catholic unionists than protestant nationalists.

Oglaigh na hEireann was the title first used by the Irish Volunteers and then the IRA before 1922. After the splits you can go different ways on your viewpoint. You either support what happened or dont at this stage and you opinion on the usage of Oglaigh na hEireann will depend on this.

The fact that the notion of 'catholic' unionist being afriad to say their loyalties in public just shows what the British planted seed of hatred has done to our country. This does not spread back only over the last couple of decades but back 100/200 years, the religious card was being played and stoked by the british and unfortunalty it has carried through to this day.

to the above post, every bomb was given with a warning before it exploded. On some occasions people were injured or killed unfortunatly asa result. They vary between people not wanting to leave their shops (Canary Wharf), lines getting mixed up, coincidence etc
    I think its very naieve of you to hold you viewpoint that the IRA purposely tried to kill as many civilians as possible and I bring you back to the way this is portrayed in the media. Killing civilians does nothing to further the cause as seen from the fallout in Omagh so just think about it....

• Advertisement

Babybing wrote: »
    How many atrocities have been committed by the Irish Defence Forces?

to the above post, every bomb was given with a warning before it exploded.
    Oh, well, that makes it all ok then, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

So if I decide I'm going to blow up the British Embassy, as long as I make a few phone calls before hand, everything's just fine and dandy? Even though there's a very good chance that someone will, at the very least, be injured in the blast? Do you actually expect the Gardaí to say, "Oh, yeah, no problem; we'll be sure to seal off the area for you!" ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

For the most part the only difference between the IRA and the UK/US/French armies is backing by a recognised government.

Lord Mountbatten is a case in point. Absolute atrocity where innocent people lost their lives, of course it is recognised as such. Now the killing of Uday and Qusay hussein by US armed forces.....again many innocent people lost their lives yet it is seen as a successful military operation.

You seem to be laboring under the illusion that the IRA is an army, they are no such thing, they are simply a bunch of murderous criminals.

How many atrocities have been committed by the Irish Defence Forces?

I imagine very few. The role of the Irish defence forces is predominantly a peace keeping one.

You seem to be laboring under the illusion that the IRA is an army, they are no such thing, they are simply a bunch of murderous criminals.

I believe the cause of the IRA was a legitimate one and armed resistance was justified. They committed atrocities, atrocities I assure you I find repulsive and impossible to condone. But so did the British armed forces and the US armed forces around the globe yet they are rarely branded as murderous criminals as they have the backing of legitimate governments.

I imagine very few. The role of the Irish defence forces is predominantly a peace keeping one.
    I doubt they have committed any at all (I'm sure there are other armies that fall into that category), so your previous statement is not valid:
    I believe the cause of the IRA was a legitimate one and armed resistance was justified. They committed atrocities, atrocities I assure you I find repulsive and impossible to condone.
    You're contradicting yourself there. You believe armed resistance is/was justified, but you cannot condone what they do/did? It's either one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

I believe the cause of the IRA was a legitimate one and armed resistance was justified. They committed atrocities, atrocities I assure you I find repulsive and impossible to condone. But so did the British armed forces and the US armed forces around the globe yet they are rarely branded as murderous criminals as they have the backing of legitimate governments.

The Defence Forces mission is: "To contribute to the security of the State by providing for the military defence of its territorial integrity and to fulfil all roles assigned by Government, through the deployment of well-motivated and effective Defence Forces."

Says nothing here about peacekeeping. The primary role of our defence forces is to protect our state from subversives from within. A job they have done admirably since the foundation of the state.

You're contradicting yourself there. You believe armed resistance is/was justified, but you cannot condone what they do/did? It's either one or the other.

No I cannot condone the atrocities. Many conflicts throughout history have been for worthy causes, the majority have unfortuneately invoved atrocities.

Oglaigh na hEireann was the title first used by the Irish Volunteers and then the IRA before 1922. After the splits you can go different ways on your viewpoint. You either support what happened or dont at this stage and you opinion on the usage of Oglaigh na hEireann will depend on this.
    Indeed. It's a free country and you are entitled to call the PIRA Oglaigh na hEireann if you so desire (I totally disagree with our guys serving and dieing in the Congo, Lebanon etc. on UN peacekeeping duty being confused with the volunteers of the PIRA) however you didn't answer my follow up question based on your usage of Oglaigh na hEireann to describe the PIRA, namely, do you believe our state (the 26 counties known as the Republic of Ireland) and sovereign government to be illigitimate (and so all our elections since the first Dail have been null and void) and that the Army Council of the PIRA are the legitimate provisional government of all 32 counties of Ireland?
    The fact that the notion of 'catholic' unionist being afriad to say their loyalties in public just shows what the British planted seed of hatred has done to our country.
    Eh, say what? Glossing swiftly over the SF propoganda leaflet spiel, the reason Catholic unionists aren't able to come out with it in public is because they live under the cosh of republican intimidation-it is NOT COOL in nationalist working class areas to admit that you would ather NI remained in the Union. There is no way in hell a high ranking catholic civil servant down to a hospital cleaner in Northern Ireland would vote to make themselves redundant by seceeding from the purse strings of the UK. We couldn't afford to spend the €10bn in just six counties that the UK spends every year there. Our entire national budget for 26 counties (which are much more productive than Northern Ireland) is app. €50bn. So we'd have to cut spending across the 26 counties by app. 20% to maintain current spending levels in Northern Ireland and this assumes Loyalists don't begin a terror campaign of their own, targeting CBDs in the south! That would destroy confidence in our economy pretty quickly and our 50bn would halve.

Catholics in NI aren't stupid-they know all this. That's why they won't be voting to lose their civil service jobs, NHS, almost free prescriptions, cheap insurance etc. etc. etc. in return for living in a state with much poorer social services. Heck-approximately 25% of al housing stock in NI is owned by the Housing Executive-compared to less than 10% of local authority held housing in the south.

Face it-we have diverged as countries considerably since the second world war.
    every bomb was given with a warning before it exploded.
    No it wasn't-remember that goon that blew himself up on the top deck of a London bus?! He didn't phone a warning to himself lol.:D

So if I decide I'm going to blow up the British Embassy, as long as I make a few phone calls before hand, everything's just fine and dandy? Even though there's a very good chance that someone will, at the very least, be injured in the blast? Do you actually expect the Gardaí to say, "Oh, yeah, no problem; we'll be sure to seal off the area for you!" ?!?

If your cause is just and the reasons are right. If the right amount of warning is given the onus is on the secuirty forces in the area to follow standard procedure and clear out the area ensuring that no one is hurt,injured or killed.
    What would you expect a security force to do?
    'Ok people,stay in the area while we send a team in to the bomb that could go off at any minute' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

murph, maybe you missed the point where I have stated I do not support Sinn Fein, and I have never claimed to have refered to the (P)IRA as Oglaigh na hEireann during this topic.
    If you want to go on about the 'First Dail' it was an elected body from all 32 counties of Ireland who overwhelmling voted for a united and free Ireland. This democratic vote taken by the whole island of Ireland was turned into farce after where the support for this was shunned and an agreement twisted to suit British interests.
    So under the authority of the First Dail all elections after this should have been null and void.
    Of course I realise you are on about the first sitting of the Free State Dail which an oath of alliegence to the queen etc had to be taken...so much for the 32 county vote for independence eh??
    So to the point yes the Free State was created illegally by those reasons and because I do believe the threat of a great and terrible war upon the nation and its people could possibly have been a bit of a unfair...what would they call it these days???:rolleyes: yes, the 'Northern Ireland' is an illegitimate statelet too...

On the latter of you points, again I don't support Sinn Fein so I wouldn't read any of its 'propaganda leaflets'
    I think as an educated person you should have the capacity to realise that the British state has lied,murdered and deceited throughout the whole period of its time in Ireland to try and suit its own interests and to make it look good. There was no religious issue until the British brought it into the equation(unfortunatly as the fallout can be seen to this day stil where all over ireland youths and adults alike are brought up in this false sense of relgious issue...'prods' and 'catholics' and it is unfortunatly bred into our society now)

And as for the overused argument we cant support having the north...loyalists will attack etc etc...why are these used as possible reasons to desert a part of our island??A part of our heritage and our people?And it is ours.

On your last sentence I think is pretty sickening and no thoughts need to be given on it.....

murph, maybe you missed the point where I have stated I do not support Sinn Fein, and I have never claimed to have refered to the (P)IRA as Oglaigh na hEireann during this topic.
    If you want to go on about the 'First Dail' it was an elected body from all 32 counties of Ireland who overwhelmling voted for a united and free Ireland. This democratic vote taken by the whole island of Ireland was turned into farce after where the support for this was shunned and an agreement twisted to suit British interests.
    So under the authority of the First Dail all elections after this should have been null and void.
    Of course I realise you are on about the first sitting of the Free State Dail which an oath of alliegence to the queen etc had to be taken...so much for the 32 county vote for independence eh??
    So to the point yes the Free State was created illegally by those reasons and because I do believe the threat of a great and terrible war upon the nation and its people could possibly have been a bit of a unfair...what would they call it these days???:rolleyes: yes, the 'Northern Ireland' is an illegitimate statelet too...
    Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously I disagree and believe the territorial extent of my country ends at the internationally recognised border. Northern Ireland remains british...it uses miles pe hour and you can spend money with the Queen's mug on it. The people of the south (including governments for at least the last 30 years) have no intention of upsetting the apple cart for 6 more counties to subsidise.
    I think as an educated person you should have the capacity to realise that the British state has lied,murdered and deceited throughout the whole period of its time in Ireland to try and suit its own interests and to make it look good.
    Who invited the Anglo-Normans here in the first place? It may really irk you but you quite possibly have anglo-norman blood in your veins. The brits didn't arrive wearing bowler hats and playing cricket. Our history and relationship with Britain and her people is simply way more complex than you appear ready to admit.
    There was no religious issue until the British brought it into the equation(unfortunatly as the fallout can be seen to this day stil where all over ireland youths and adults alike are brought up in this false sense of relgious issue...'prods' and 'catholics' and it is unfortunatly bred into our society now)
    I don't know where you live but religious bigotry is not an issue to me or my neighbours. I neither know nor care what religion they are.
    And as for the overused argument we cant support having the north...loyalists will attack etc etc...why are these used as possible reasons to desert a part of our island??A part of our heritage and our people?And it is ours.
    It's not mine. You're welcome to believe it's yours but you will die a frustrated man as the status quo is unlikely to change any time soon. The more normalised things become, the less interested people are in the politics. Relationships on this divided island and between Ireland and Britain are at an all time high.
    On your last sentence I think is pretty sickening and no thoughts need to be given on it.....
    IRA terrorist dies at hands of own bomb. Forgive me if I don't choke back the tears for the scumbag. If he'd been successful in his 'mission' who knows if he'd killed a few more kids. I'm glad he died alone and I feel much more sorry for the poor bus driver who was permanantly deafened.

• Advertisement

If your cause is just and the reasons are right.
    What if a unionist decides he's going to blow up the Irish Embassy in London? Presumably that's ok too?

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously I disagree and believe the territorial extent of my country ends at the internationally recognised border. Northern Ireland remains british...it uses miles pe hour and you can spend money with the Queen's mug on it. The people of the south (including governments for at least the last 30 years) have no intention of upsetting the apple cart for 6 more counties to subsidise.

The point of the money and international borders, these are ones that have been forced, not accepted, onto the people.
    Who invited the Anglo-Normans here in the first place? It may really irk you but you quite possibly have anglo-norman blood in your veins. The brits didn't arrive wearing bowler hats and playing cricket. Our history and relationship with Britain and her people is simply way more complex than you appear ready to admit.
    It does not irk me to have that possibility if indeed it were true...I do not hate any particular grouping and believe your heritage has to be embraced so why not??Promote it if you wish so but to have your culture opressed,outlawed and purposely diminished by a leaves a strong sense of identity onto the people it affects as it has done with ours.
    I don't know where you live but religious bigotry is not an issue to me or my neighbours. I neither know nor care what religion they are.
    I would assume that that point you have made makes more of a reference to the area that you live in that people have been lucky to be kept away from the bigotry that blights sections of this island.
    Even down to the example of the norm of hating Rangers because they're 'huns'. The same situation has been created there as has been here...Religious issues were stoked and now you have this riduculous situation...self admitedly though Rangers fans do tend to take over this sterotype pretty well in all areas in regards to the support of fascism, hooliganism and chants directed at Catholics/taigs/whatever name they come up with.Carlton Media anyone???
    It's not mine. You're welcome to believe it's yours but you will die a frustrated man as the status quo is unlikely to change any time soon. The more normalised things become, the less interested people are in the politics. Relationships on this divided island and between Ireland and Britain are at an all time high.
    It seems a very strange position that you sate you do not have even the small belief that the Northern Ireland statelet is a rightfull part of Ireland. Even Finna Fail,Finna Gael etc decribe themselves as 'Republican' parties with one of their long terms aims the re unification of the island.
    IRA terrorist dies at hands of own bomb. Forgive me if I don't choke back the tears for the scumbag. If he'd been successful in his 'mission' who knows if he'd killed a few more kids. I'm glad he died alone and I feel much more sorry for the poor bus driver who was permanantly deafened.

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.
    What if a unionist decides he's going to blow up the Irish Embassy in London? Presumably that's ok too?

On what reasoning??It's hard to see any rational point from this...maybe if the Irish government in the future re unifies Ireland, spits on the Loyalist culture and gerry mander elections to suit the Nationalist interests, shoot civilans dead on the street at protests, begin internment without trial, undertake in collusion....I don't think I need to go on but I don't see that version of events happening anytime soon

(I totally disagree with our guys serving and dieing in the Congo, Lebanon etc. on UN peacekeeping duty being confused with the volunteers of the PIRA)

Do you know many Lebanese Muslims? Most of them aren't too fond of "our boys" at all. Óglaigh na hÉireann was originally the title of the Irish Volunteers, those who who took part in the 1916 Rising which then re-organised into the Irish Republican Army. The substantial majority of that organisation later rejected the Anglo-Irish Treaty which caused a small minority to resign from Óglaigh na hÉireann in order to establish the Free State Army, the forerunner of the Irish Defence Forces. Óglaigh na hÉireann was the title of the IRA years before the Free Staters were even established.
    however you didn't answer my follow up question based on your usage of Oglaigh na hEireann to describe the PIRA, namely, do you believe our state (the 26 counties known as the Republic of Ireland) and sovereign government to be illigitimate (and so all our elections since the first Dail have been null and void) and that the Army Council of the PIRA are the legitimate provisional government of all 32 counties of Ireland?

Sure the Provos are participants in a government within a British context as well as co-operating with the Guards in the south, they don't believe they are the legitimate government of Ireland at all. The only people to suscribe to that dogma are the Continuity IRA.

Eh, say what? Glossing swiftly over the SF propoganda leaflet spiel, the reason Catholic unionists aren't able to come out with it in public is because they live under the cosh of republican intimidation-

Yeah, that's it alright. Republicans simply bully people into supoorting them while secretly most Catholics long to remain part of the UK. :rolleyes: That's why they all vote for Sinn Féin and the SDLP...
    it is NOT COOL in nationalist working class areas to admit that you would ather NI remained in the Union.

So what? It isn't cool to support white rule in Soweto either.
    No it wasn't-remember that goon that blew himself up on the top deck of a London bus?! He didn't phone a warning to himself lol.:D

Yeah that was hilarious alright. :rolleyes: You can make your points without having to revel in the deaths of others, that carry on is simply the behaviour of a very sad and bitter individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

every bomb was given with a warning before it exploded

So, applying the same logic, if I warn you that I'm going to stab you or rape you or burn down your house, then it's OK.....I can still go ahead and do it and - in your mindset - not be criticised or convicted - because I warned you ???? :rolleyes:
    Even down to the example of the norm of hating Rangers because they're 'huns'. The same situation has been created there as has been here...Religious issues were stoked and now you have this riduculous situation...self admitedly though Rangers fans do tend to take over this sterotype pretty well in all areas in regards to the support of fascism, hooliganism and chants directed at Catholics/taigs/whatever name they come up with

And therein lies the root of the SF/IRA mindset....you throw in, unchallenged, that it's "the norm" to hate Rangers "because they're huns".....funny that, because I would originally have had no opinion of them UNTIL their supporters started the "support of facism, hooliganism", etc, after which I would have little time for their supporters....

And the irony is that the same thing applies to SF/IRA.....but they can't seem to get it into their heads that they're not being singled out or victimised because of who they are, but because of WHAT THEY DO.....which is the EXACT approach that we should apply to ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE....

I mean, who would you rather live beside, a supposedly Catholic thug/scumbag (even though that's a contradiction, since a Catholic is meant to be AT LEAST a Christian) or a sound Protestant ? I know which I'd rather, and the fact is that I wouldn't even know their religion because it doesn't bloody well matter; all that matters is that they're a decent neighbour.

But that message probably won't get through to people whose blinkered thinking seems to focus on who people are and what lame excuse they can make for blowing them up or kneecapping them.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    So, applying the same logic, if I warn you that I'm going to stab you or rape you or burn down your house, then it's OK.....I can still go ahead and do it and - in your mindset - not be criticised or convicted - because I warned you ???? :rolleyes:
    What justifiable reason can you give for stabbing, raping, or burning my house???
    Do you actually think thorugh on your arguments?A little reasoning would help instead of taking a mile on peoples words.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    And therein lies the root of the SF/IRA mindset....you throw in, unchallenged, that it's "the norm" to hate Rangers "because they're huns".....funny that, because I would originally have had no opinion of them UNTIL their supporters started the "support of facism, hooliganism", etc, after which I would have little time for their supporters....
    You seem to have missed the point that I made on why this first line mindset IS the mindset of a lot of people unfortunatly...or are you trying to make this suit yourself??

Do you know many Lebanese Muslims?
    Lol, I know THREE of them! 1 educated in a catholic convent school in Beruit interestingly enough.
    Most of them aren't too fond of "our boys" at all.
    and they are grateful for the green line. Some villages in south Lebanon would have vanished if it hadn't been for our lads supplying them under Israeli fire.
    Yeah, that's it alright. Republicans simply bully people into supoorting them while secretly most Catholics long to remain part of the UK. :rolleyes: That's why they all vote for Sinn Féin and the SDLP...
    As I said and as any reasonably intelligent person can appreciate, there's a massive leap between voting for SF or the SDLP and voting "yes" to the question "do you wish NI to leave the UK?" and hpw do we know this?, because there are plenty of catholics living very close to the border who could easily just move into Donegal, Cavan etc. without losing contact with their friends and family but they choose not to. They choose to live in the UK. They know which side their bread is buttered on.
    Yeah that was hilarious alright. :rolleyes: You can make your points without having to revel in the deaths of others, that carry on is simply the behaviour of a very sad and bitter individual.
    Bitter? moi? What have I got to be bitter about. I'm the one who's happy with the current situation of a divided island of Ireland. It bothers me not one iota that Ulster remains british so where would any bitterness come from?

Lol, I know THREE of them! 1 educated in a catholic convent school in Beruit interestingly enough.

I know a similar number myself, as well as a couple of Lebanese Christians (Phalangist types as it happens).
    and they are grateful for the green line. Some villages in south Lebanon would have vanished if it hadn't been for our lads supplying them under Israeli fire.

I doubt they were too grateful when some clown from Dublin or wherever was pulling them out of their car while letting Jews pass through checkpoints unhindered. There is a real resentment held toward UN troops by many Lebanese Muslims, and not without reason either.
    As I said and as any reasonably intelligent person can appreciate, there's a massive leap between voting for SF or the SDLP and voting "yes" to the question "do you wish NI to leave the UK?"

The two are not synonymous but the fact remains the vast majority of Catholics vote for two parties which hold Irish unity as one of their main goals, Sinn Féin being the larger of the two. Likewise countless opinion polls have show that a majority of people in Ireland profess to support Irish unity, albeit not as a priority. The notion that most Catholics are somehow implicitly opposed to unity is completely fallacious.
    and hpw do we know this?, because there are plenty of catholics living very close to the border who could easily just move into Donegal, Cavan etc. without losing contact with their friends and family but they choose not to. They choose to live in the UK. They know which side their bread is buttered on.

With respect that point is simply idiotic. People remain in Tyrone and South Armagh because those areas are their homes, not because they prefer living in the UK. The border areas are actually the most vociferous in their opposition to British rule in this country. I'd love to hear you tell people in Crossmaglen or Cappagh that they know which side their bread is buttered on.
    It bothers me not one iota that Ulster remains british so where would any bitterness come from?

I don't know, but you are the one gloating like a child over the death of another human being. My opinions as a militant Republican are well known, but I haven't once took pleasure or joy in the death of anyone.

The point of the money and international borders, these are ones that have been forced, not accepted, onto the people.
    How are they being forced? The majority of people in Northern Ireland wish to remain part of the UK – you seem to be having a whole lot of trouble accepting this.
    …to have your culture opressed,outlawed and purposely diminished by a leaves a strong sense of identity onto the people it affects as it has done with ours.
    I don’t ever recall having my culture (whatever that is) “oppressed, outlawed or purposely diminished”.
    I would assume that that point you have made makes more of a reference to the area that you live in that people have been lucky to be kept away from the bigotry that blights sections of this island.
    Yeah, the vast majority of people in Ireland are quizzed about their religion on a daily basis :rolleyes:.
    It seems a very strange position that you sate you do not have even the small belief that the Northern Ireland statelet is a rightfull part of Ireland.
    It isn’t.
    One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.
    No, one man’s terrorist (i.e. someone who imparts terror) is most likely a terrorist.
    On what reasoning??
    Why does he need to justify his reasons to you? You believe that if I were to blow up the British Embassy, that’s just fine, as long as I have a good reason, even though the overwhelming majority of the population of this country would be opposed to such a move. Why does your opinion (or the opinion of a minority) count more than theirs?

Now, if a guy decides he’s going to target the Irish Embassy in London, all he has to do is justify it to himself and maybe a few of his mates, if we’re to apply your logic.
    …a majority of people in Ireland profess to support Irish unity…
    A majority of people in Northern Ireland do not.
    People remain in Tyrone and South Armagh because those areas are their homes, not because they prefer living in the UK.
    Surely they do prefer to live there? Otherwise they would live elsewhere, no?
    I don't know, but you are the one gloating like a child over the death of another human being.
    There you’ve made the error of mistaking a member of the IRA for a human being.

A majority of people in Northern Ireland do not.

So what? If a 60% majority of people in Mayo decided to affiliate to the UK would that be acceptable to you? What about a 60% majority of Castlebar? The northern state was artificially created (against the wishes of the Irish people) so Unionists would always be in a majority, it is a perversion of self-determination, not an expression of it.
    Surely they do prefer to live there? Otherwise they would live elsewhere, no?

As I said, they live in Tyrone and South Armagh because those areas are their homes and as such they wish to remain there, not because those areas are part of the UK. Do you believe that people in Crossmaglen or Strabane oppose Irish unity and wish to live under British rule?
    There you’ve made the error of mistaking a member of the IRA for a human being.

That's simply deranged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

well have you any plans???? lol oj

but that depands on what your aims are. do you want a huge loss of life??? or do you want to make a statement???

well thats the descion you take when going to war, you accept that some innocent people are going to die and iff your a decent person you will try and reduce the innocent deaths as much as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement