Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real IRA claims that 'The War Is Back On'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

And ther I hink, you have it.

SF are good at looking after ther own community so they are popular,but what ahppens when the big question comes, do you want unification?

People presume that all SF voters would vote yes, but I'm not so sure.

I always used to vote liberal in local elections because the liberals were very good at running our council, but there is no way I would want a liberal running the country.

yes, i would vote yes 100% to re-unification. well i think the big question is about local communities which i hope SF to have at least a presence in.

well i dont know about all SF voters voting yes but i thing its up to us within SF to convice them to do so and also to convince others to do so. that is why i think there needs to be alot of work done to achieve a UI.

well i think SF has proven itself most of the time esp in the north capable of running high power offices but again it is down to getting the people to believe in you and how can you do that if the people dont give you a chance.

that is why i suppose the greens are doing, people will see what there like in gov and i have heard afew say i am not voting greens again.

can i ask what political shade/party are you inclined towards???

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

I'm sure SF are doing good things up there, but do you thnk they would be as successful doing it across all 32 counties?

Change may be a lot harder down here.
    Well if you read some of the other treads on the board and follow the current news. it would not be hard for Sinn Féin to do better than most of the politicians in the 26 county's, would you have thought even 5 years ago that Sinn Féin would have been supporting the psni ,and probably in another few (when they are the largest party in the assembly) have a minister calling the shots, so with such a froward look progressive party I don't see why they could not be as successful in the 26 county's as the are in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

TOMASJ wrote: »
    Well if you read some of the other treads on the board and follow the current news. it would not be hard for Sinn Féin to do better than most of the politicians in the 26 county's, would you have thought even 5 years ago that Sinn Féin would have been supporting the psni ,and probably in another few (when they are the largest party in the assembly) have a minister calling the shots, so with such a froward look progressive party I don't see why they could not be as successful in the 26 county's as the are in the North.
    In the north they have one of the world's G8 economies to bankroll any sill decisions they make and they have no control over serious issues like TAXATION. In the south they would and could bankrupt the state.

To be honest SF are a bit of an irelevance now. They had a brief flurry and have declined since. FF will soon turn on Ahern-nobody is bigger than "the party" and our short memoried electorate will vote FF back in again next time.

But with Sinn Fein a tiny and shrivelled party in the south, with the potential inclusion of the north, they're not going to be in any way in a controlling position. (Frankly if they are I'll eat my hat on the way to the airport for a five year trip)

lol well firstly i would like to add by all means but make sure its something big :D:D

well i dont think its that bad. i mean if you are to look at the different voting age groups in the south SF has a higher porpotion of the young vote compared to the older age groups which suggested that althought they are a small party we are hardly shrivelled up. but also support has grown for SF in the border counties. i think we just lost our eye on the ball in the last election that and i think FF played it well by well bringing out the ole scare of the economy suggestion ie

"do you trust anyone else with your money" :D:D:D

ok ok no bertie jokes lol

and i think they may not have a total majority but they will be in a key position of power and levegrage

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Rossibaby wrote: »
    of course ye support what the brits do,the media tells you to think this so you do.west brits galore here:-)

Perhaps there are a few posters, who have served in the British army or have family members who did, that think like this. It's stating the obvious to say the majority of posters in this thread are simply against IRA violence. Holding this viewpoint is not tantamount to be an apologist for every act of state terrorism and military infractions of the rules of war by the British army- or any army for that matter. Those it may suit some to portray the discussion this way;)

By the way wickinight the public exceution of the sepoys could be construed as an act of terrorism, in my view, because it was done to instill terror in those watching. it wasn't an instance of a mindless act of violence by the British-there was a specific aim behind it in order to advance a political aim.

the same can be said of shock n awe in my opinion. it is the application of calculated terror via military might to induce collective terror to advance a political aim. That again seems like terrorism to me.
    futher to clear up a another point of confusion: i do not interpert every military tactic as an act of terrorism- rather that some military tactics are morally reprehensible whether they are actually terrorism or not. My bone of contention all along has been the following; anyone who condemns IRA terrorism yet will engage in semantics as a disingenous ploy to defend military tactics such as shock n awe are nauseating hypocrite in my opinion. I'm not accusing you of this by the way. I do however suspect there are other posters who believe that because you have a uniform any action you undertake seemingly puts you beyond moral judgement.

• Advertisement

But with Sinn Fein a tiny and shrivelled party in the south, with the potential inclusion of the north, they're not going to be in any way in a controlling position. (Frankly if they are I'll eat my hat on the way to the airport for a five year trip)
    There are a couple of smaller partys, the Greens and Mary Harneys party, having controlling position.s in the 26, these parties if you are following current affairs are going nowhere, Sinn Fein will only grow in the 26 countys as well as the occupied 6 county's.

By the way wickinight the public exceution of the sepoys could be construed as an act of terrorism, in my view, because it was done to instill terror in those watching. it wasn't an instance of a mindless act of violence by the British-there was a specific aim behind it in order to advance a political aim.

the same can be said of shock n awe in my opinion. it is the application of calculated terror via military might to induce collective terror to advance a political aim. That again seems like terrorism to me.
    futher to clear up a another point of confusion: i do not interpert every military tactic as an act of terrorism- rather that some military tactics are morally reprehensible whether they are actually terrorism or not. My bone of contention all along has been the following; anyone who condemns IRA terrorism yet will engage in semantics as a disingenous ploy to defend military tactics such as shock n awe are nauseating hypocrite in my opinion. I'm not accusing you of this by the way. I do however suspect there are other posters who believe that because you have a uniform any action you undertake seemingly puts you beyond moral judgement.

well said and i agree with your point entirly about military and terrorism.

(Frankly if they are I'll eat my hat on the way to the airport for a five year trip)
    I remember a well known GAA presenter saying these words a few years ago about a GAA team in the occupied 6, if they won the Sam Mc,Guire cup that he would do just that, they did and he didn't, I suspect you will hang about and enjoy the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I remember a well known GAA presenter saying these words a few years ago about a GAA team in the occupied 6, if they won the Sam Mc,Guire cup that he would do just that, they did and he didn't, I suspect you will hang about and enjoy the party.

Nice that you have an opinion. :rolleyes: Also, good comparison. Yup, the talent of a GAA team really does equate to government. And thanks for the speculation, but I think I'll be heading elsewhere if those lunatics ever come to any real power.

Nice that you have an opinion. :rolleyes: Also, good comparison. Yup, the talent of a GAA team really does equate to government. And thanks for the speculation, but I think I'll be heading elsewhere if those lunatics ever come to any real power.
    And a pity you weren't stuck in a time warp, so start making your travel arrangements,the lunatics as you call them are taking over the asylum that was known as stormont,the Empire has shrivelled up and will soon be a distant memory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

True, but in fairness, my hamster could do a better job than FF.

It's change that's the hard thing, down here there does not appear to be the appetite for change otherwise Bertie would be out of a job. I admire SF in that they seem to have some very good forward thinking politicians, but they still have too many links to terrorism and if SF did ever start running this country, how many gangsters and drug dealers would have a hold over TD's. I'm sure there are still plenty of people, many very unsavioury, who know where the bodies are buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm getting worried about this thread....the title is [to paraphrase] about a minority threatening to launch attacks and inexcusable violence, and now we're discussing education policies and a lot of other stuff.

I know there's a link, because the very people who are stuck in a time-warp and advocating terrorism are the ones who need to realise that the diversion that this thread took is exactly what real-life should do; forgetting about violence and terrorism and debating the pros and cons of various approaches and policies in terms of what they can achieve for the people.

But for a thread to switch from "the 'war' is back on" :eek: to discussing normal issues strikes me as a little weird; surely the outrage that should follow (and even most of the SF/IRA supporters here seem to say that they don't want violence) should not be blurred into normality ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I do not.
    Why not?
    Sinn Fein will only grow in the 26 countys as well as the occupied 6 county's.
    Didn't Sinn Féin lose a seat in the last election?

djpbarry wrote: »
    Didn't Sinn Féin lose a seat in the last election?

yes they did but they also gained alot of support in the border counties which can proved to be a base of support to win a few seats next. i think the overall voter shre was up for the party as a whole but still not a great result.

And a pity you weren't stuck in a time warp, so start making your travel arrangements,the lunatics as you call them are taking over the asylum that was known as stormont,the Empire has shrivelled up and will soon be a distant memory

And as long as they stay in Stormont, I'm happy, and they can call all the shots they want elsewhere, but I won't be seeing them in power in the republic anytime soon, and that's a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Empire? what Empire? ~ the British Empire disappeared about fifty years ago so I dunno what the hell you are on about, unless you mean the countries of the Commonwealth? and as regards the North, only the people living there will decide if 'they' wish to remain British & part of the United Kingdom ~ somehow I feel it very unlikely that they will just decide one day that they are not British any more.

On the note of Northern Irish claiming their roads suck more than those in the republic, I challenge you, beat this! ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55293728&postcount=690

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sorry, I cant think of a silly enough response for this post,and a silly post like this deserves a daft answer.

Its ok, you seem quite unable to answer most things Tomasj :rolleyes:

Simple fact of the matter is that Unification with the Republic would cause all types of these issues. People who support unification (naive people) seem to think that it is just a case that you wake up one day and Dublin is running things, which out any concept of what that would actually entail. The school system is just one example. The Republic doesn't have a public school systems, all (or nearly all) schools are privately run, most with funding from the government. The vast majority are run by the Catholic Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

duggie-89 wrote: »
    can i ask what political shade/party are you inclined towards???

You can ask by all means, but I won't answer:D

Generally i would say I am left of centre but, to be honest, I dislike most politicians. To most party politics is all important and being in power appears to be the more important than actually using that power to achieve any good. In Ireland that appears to be even more so than in the UK.

I thought Tony Blair was good and whilst I despised a lot of her policies, I admire Thatcher for her courage and conviction. She achieved a lot of good for Britain that would never be recognised in Ireland because she is hated so much.

Historically, the Politician I have most respect for is Parnell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BostonFenian

Why not?

Because to the best of my knowledge, they're Albanian, and that already is a country. While, I think minority groups have the same rights as anyone else, I don't think they have the right to just declare a state wherever they happen to be.

If I was to accept that, I feel that in order to be consistent, I'd have to accept the legitimacy of NI, which I'm clearly not prepared to do.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    Its ok, you seem quite unable to answer most things Tomasj :rolleyes:

Simple fact of the matter is that Unification with the Republic would cause all types of these issues. People who support unification (naive people) seem to think that it is just a case that you wake up one day and Dublin is running things, which out any concept of what that would actually entail. The school system is just one example. The Republic doesn't have a public school systems, all (or nearly all) schools are privately run, most with funding from the government. The vast majority are run by the Catholic Church.

lol lol lol ok again i think if you are to look over the fourm you would clearly see that the vast majority of those who want a UI understand there is alot of work to do but that doesnt mean we shouldn't achieve it.

can i ask you a simple question if all the above boxes were ticked ie education system in the south was sorted out would you vote for a UI?? i personally think that the north with its unique history would need to have some level of devolved gov.

also can you outline the areas which you think Would be a sticking point in achieving a UI. if you can think of any please put them in point form.

also your point being what about the schools half the schools in the north are run by the catholic church.

Because to the best of my knowledge, they're Albanian, and that already is a country.
    They're ethnic Albanian, not Albanian nationals. You seem to be having trouble making the same distinction when it comes to residents of Northern Ireland.

You want a devolved northern government within a united Ireland? If this is the case, then forget it. There would be less than no point.

They're ethnic Albanian, not Albanian nationals. You seem to be having trouble making the same distinction when it comes to residents of Northern Ireland.

How so?

I simply don't think a group of people has the right to emmigrate somewhere and declare a state in a pre-existing country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How so?

I simply don't think a group of people has the right to emmigrate somewhere and declare a state in a pre-existing country.

You mean, like every state that exists?

Well, I suppose they didn't all 'exist' beforehand.

They are not just moving there and making a country, they were born there.

And that is the crux of the matter. The ethnic Albanians of Kosovo are not "immigrants" - their ancestors were. The same goes for the Unionist community in the North.

And that is the crux of the matter. The ethnic Albanians of Kosovo are not "immigrants" - their ancestors were. The same goes for the Unionist community in the North.

Which is why I don't support it, especially in the North. I feel there is more wiggle room for the Kosovars, since they weren't an invading force.

I feel there is more wiggle room for the Kosovars, since they weren't an invading force.
    Neither are the Unionists in the North - their long-dead ancestors were (sort of).

Neither are the Unionists in the North - their long-dead ancestors were (sort of).

Which was my point, no sort of about it.

• Advertisement

Which was my point, no sort of about it.
    Do you think you should have to pay for all the crimes your ancestors committed over the last 800 years?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement