Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP Problem - keeps dropping

Options
  • 03-02-2008 6:37pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to upload a 150mb file to my server - it's a new one I have with I'm on shared hosting with Register365.

I've always used FireFTP - the plugin for Firefox and never had any problems with it. I've tried a number of times to upload this file, it gets to 20-30mb and then stops. I've also tried with a proper FTP Program: FTP Explorer - but same happens. It got to 20% or so and next time I checked it it had restarted and was back to 2%. Very frustrating.

What could this be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Are there any error messages or similar when the connection drops?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

There was with Fireftp but not with FTP Explorer. I'll try again and let you know what the error was...

Do you recommend any FTP client in particular?
    Thanks

All should pretty much work - click the 'Live Chat; icon on any page of www.register365.com - the guys are ready and willing to help at any time, day or night.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This is the error I got in Fire FTP Steve - after 37mb:

451 Colly - Deadmice.mp3: Append/Restart not permitted, try again : /zascar.com/music/Colly - Deadmice.mp3

Yes I was on to the lads on the Live Chat, he said everything seems fine from your end, he suggested I raise a support ticket, which I did - not expecting an answer until tomorrow though. Thought I'd ask here in the meantime, it might be on my end.

Might give it a go with Cute FTP and see

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Try using Filezilla. Some FTP programs dont seem to be able to handle large file transfers to servers. Iv noticed the issue with FlashFXP - large file sizes work till about 20% then start again. I switched to Filezilla and the problem isnt present.

• Advertisement

Steve thanks one of your guys got back to me and did a test upload of a big file which worked fine, must be a problem on my end. I'll give filezilla a go and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It could be an issue with your ISP. I've been having dropped connections to just about everywhere on and off all evening ... Very annoying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Funny, I've been having FTP problems all day, and the host isnt even in ireland....

This is now REALLY Annoying me.

Tried again this morning, gets 27% of the way there and then dies.

Using CuteFTP:
    ERROR:> [04/02/2008 10:42:19] Temporary completion problem reply.

I have a very fast connection in work but cannot get FTP access. the Web Based Control Panel Login has a max of 5mb which is gay.

If this continues I just don't know what else I am supposed to do!

Edit: Trying www.net2ftp.com maybe this will work

Dam it, that seemed like it worked, but same as my web based upload, it uploads the file, but then it does not appear - must be a file size limitation.
    There has to be somw way around this!

• Advertisement

Is the file online anywhere else?

As a last resort, you could send us a disk....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have you tried Filezilla or continued using CuteFTP?

Right I eventually managed to get the two 150mb files uploaded, but I'd say there were 10+ attempts before I got it eventually. Perhaps its a problem with my ISP (NTL) or something...

Cheers for your help guys

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Hi guys,

A similar problem. An image maintenance program I designed in ASP, been working fine for nearly 3 years but has stopped FTPing the file to the backup webserver since last Thursday. Should I get in contact with the ISP do you think??

-RD

PS The program utilising the Command Line FTP that comes with WinXP to upload the files. It's not an option to use another FTP program.

Zascar wrote: »
    Right I eventually managed to get the two 150mb files uploaded, but I'd say there were 10+ attempts before I got it eventually. Perhaps its a problem with my ISP (NTL) or something...

Cheers for your help guys

Perhaps your oblivious to my posts, so can someone point out to this chap that trying Filezilla might actually be worth a shot, based on past experience!?!?

Sorry mate, I did but forgot to post back. I downloaded filezilla but could not get it to work - it would not connect at all. Perhaops I'm doing somehting stupid, I'll give it another go tonight

Advertisement