Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering a puppy.

• 03-02-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend and i have a 6 month old miniature schnauzer puppy called sprokit and we are debating if we should have him neutered.
    I think we should because it can stop aggressive tenancies, roaming, unwanted litters etc.
    She thinks we might get a puppy if we put sprokit out to stud and he will enjoy the intercourse. She also thinks it is not natural/healthy. We have a large fence around our yard so she thinks the chances of him escaping are minimal.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Have a look at

www.dogstrust.org.uk for the pros of neutering - makes a big difference to male dogs.

And only people with an EXCELLENT pedigree line in their dogs lineage and a proven show dog should be bred - unless you are 100% sure of this and of his temperament and 100% health then do not do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I have a friend who wasn't sure if she should neuter her male dog. I explained the health benefits, the fact that most male dogs that end up straying/ in the pound are un-neutered and had escaped from "secure" gardens. This is sheep country so it's not a good area for a dog to take himself for a wander but she wasn't convinced. She too possibly wanted to breed from him and hadn't considered things like health checks of her dog (screening for congenital defects etc) but still she wasn't sure so didn't want to go ahead just in case.

The day her dog started lifting his leg inside and widdling on furniture she made an appointment. When he lifted his leg and widdled on her OH she called again and got a cancellation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

leave the dog alone for christ's sake! how would you like your **** messed with??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

dogs stray, regardless of the strength of their confinement. I have a Weimeraner, whos parents come from a very strong award winning bloodline, but he was becoming far more aggressive than we would have liked, and constantly disappearing on us- dont have a clue how he got out.

Since the neutering, he's far more laid back, not as aggressive, and goes as far as the road and turns back. Ireland destroys tens of thousands of dogs a year due to strays and unwanted puppies. If you don't breed seriously with dogs, I think neutering is the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

denashpot wrote: »
    leave the dog alone for christ's sake! how would you like your **** messed with??

Do you own a dog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Bicky wrote: »
    Do you own a dog?

+1

Do you own a dog?

i do. a jack russell.

We have a large fence around our yard so she thinks the chances of him escaping are minimal.QUOTE]

that sovles the roaming and unwanted litter part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

The dog, if unneutered, will be hugly frustrated if he's kept from mating. Its alot more humane to neuter unless your going to breed him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

i do. a jack russell.

Just because you're a dog owner doesn't mean you know anything about dogs. In fact, you just made it quite obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

The main pro of getting the chop is the health benefits...

too many dogs die per year because of cancer and getting him done will remove his risk of getting cancer 'down there'...

He will be better off.. And just a point to note - dogs dont enjoy intercourse, they do it because of instinct and if you remove his testicles he will not have the 'urge' so he will not even know what he is missing.

It is responsible to get him done..

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

Definately have him done!!!
    The sooner the better, have him done now before he even begins to feel natural urges and he'll never know what he's missing. Also, having them done at six months means that his testosterone levels will never reach the point where they are causing aggressive behaviour. Neutering an aggressive three year old dog will lower hormone levels but it won't make him forget any aggressive/dominant habits that he has already learned. Also, neuter him now before he gets the urge to go wandering - if he starts wandering he may find other sources of entertainment (other dogs to play with, other people who'll feed him...) that will make him continue to wander even if he is then neutered!
    OP, it is definately nicer to neuter!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

OK. I will put it like this.

Say you are sexually frustrated and despite your best efforts, you will NEVER be allowed anywhere near a woman again for the rest of your life. You have no way of relieving yourself unless you like cushions or people's legs.

Now, would you rather spend your whole life dealing with this frustration, or would you rather not have any urges at all and have a peaceful life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

There are enough stray dogs being put down in shelters all around ireland, without adding another litter of unwanted pups to the equation.

Do the responsible thing.

Advertisement