Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car crash - convicition?

Options
  • 03-02-2008 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Brief rundown. I bought a new car today, sold my old one a few days ago. Myself and a friend were driving back from meath when 2 cars crashed in front, my friend crashed into them as he was unable to slow down in time and then i hit the back of my friend, as i slammed on the brakes but couldnt slow in time - I wasnt speeding, the ground was really slippery due to the snow earlier today. It wasn't my fault or my friends..

The car was taxed, but my insurance wasnt transferred over as I tried to do it today but the lines werent open - i had it paid on my old car and it was valid up intil this summer. I was also driving on a provisional license.

I know it's stupid driving without insurance, so save all the "i told you so" attitudes cos I'm really not in the mood from it and I'm still shaken up from it.

The garda said to me I might be looking at a conviction for driving without insurance and on a provisional. What am I looking at? I don't have 2 pennys to rub together to pay to fix the car or any fines.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ok firstly it was your fault for hitting into the car in front of you as you did not keep enough of gap to allow for the road conditions. You are obviously not an experienced driver as you say its not your fault yet you didnt leave a gap in front of you to allow for conditions.

you are looking at a disqualification for probably a year or so and a hefty fine, and possibily a civil prosecution from one of the other parties to recover damages if they see fit to.

You should have thought about the insurance part before collecting it. You wanted the car today obviously and were too excited bout it to wait til you could get insured on it.

Hope they throw the book at you!

Edit: it is also your friends fault for hitting the car in front of him as he also did not leave enough of a gap to allow for road conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

chris85 wrote: »

That's a bit harsh. We've all done stupid things on the road especially when learning to drive. I do agree that it was your fault for rear-ending the car in front. Its up to you to allow extra space when the conditions are bad.
    Also driving with no insurance is a pretty serious offence.
    Sorry for your troubles but it looks like youv'e got yourself into a fair bit of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Chris85
    Ok firstly it was your fault for hitting into the car in front of you as you did not keep enough of gap to allow for the road conditions. You are obviously not an experienced driver as you say its not your fault yet you didnt leave a gap in front of you to allow for conditions.

you are looking at a disqualification for probably a year or so and a hefty fine, and possibily a civil prosecution from one of the other parties to recover damages if they see fit to.

You should have thought about the insurance part before collecting it. You wanted the car today obviously and were too excited bout it to wait til you could get insured on it.

Edit: it is also your friends fault for hitting the car in front of him as he also did not leave enough of a gap to allow for road conditions

+1.
    It the the responsibility of the driver behind to acess the road conditions and allow enough braking distance. Driving with no insurance, idiot. It's people like you who have car insurance high for males. Again - Idiot-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

+1

you can expect a 1 year driving ban and an endorsement at the very least (which means you will be raped on insurance for quite a very long time). you took a gamble driving without insurance and just be thankful no one was seriously hurt or you could be looking at even more serious consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Another chap posted on this forum about getting done for no insurance a while back. He got a ban and a fine. I'd imagine you'll get something similar.

It's a pain in the neck, but you'll need to take it on the chin buddy. If you couldn't stop in time, you were too close to the cars in front.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Driving without insurance is a mandatory court appearance and 5 points if convicted. Plus a fine handed down by the court. As you're on a provisional it'll probably be fairly hefty.

Plus another 2 points (or 4 if you challenge) for failing to leave an appropriate distance and an €80 fine.

Consider it an expensive lesson as the court appearnce and fine along with any damage liability will likely run in excess of €5k if not more if you're sued. Should have rang your insurance company on Friday and done a transfer of insurance for whatever time today.

batman2000 wrote: »
    It's people like you who have car insurance high for males. Again - Idiot-

Not in this case. He will have to pay out any damages he did himself

jimbo78 wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. We've all done stupid things on the road especially when learning to drive. I do agree that it was your fault for rear-ending the car in front. Its up to you to allow extra space when the conditions are bad.
    Also driving with no insurance is a pretty serious offence.
    Sorry for your troubles but it looks like youv'e got yourself into a fair bit of ****e

Bit harsh?

This guy drove from Meath to Waterford with no insurance and he knew he had no insurance on the car.

All he had to do was ring insurance yesterday and tell them to transfer the insurance effective today. He didnt and now he will learn a lesson.

He drove without insurance and no fully licensed driver (which i would normally look past but this guy seems to need someone supoervising him as he didnt even know he was not leaving the correct gap)

His friend now has to go the long process of claiming off non-insured driver for the rear of his car unless the OP will be man enough to pay him for this.

Its pretty clear he acted stupid and he'll be banned and fined for this. I'm sure he feels bad enough about it, there no point kicking the guy when he's down

Its pretty clear he acted stupid and he'll be banned and fined for this. I'm sure he feels bad enough about it, there no point kicking the guy when he's down

Yes there is, i get the feeling from the OP that before the crash he didnt think twice about any of his actions.
    my insurance wasnt transferred over as I tried to do it today but the lines werent open

As if this is an excuse!
    It wasn't my fault or my friends..

Everyone will tell the OP different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

I feel kind of sorry for you, Its probably the worst thing that could have happened to you. Be thankfull you didn't seriously hurt somebody or your self.

You made a stupid mistake, I guess you can put that down to age. You dont deserve the book but you do deserve to feel as bad as you do right now.

Forget about the worst that can happen i.e points fines loss of licence costly future insurance, and just imagine what the cell would look like if you had hurt/ killed somebody even if they had caused the accident. You are actually very lucky you have learned a great lesson and your not in prison.

I would say your glass is half full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Guys, I know driving without insurance was stupid. I gave lots of space, but the roads were so slippy i could of skated down 100 metres. I never once did something like this before. I was going to transfer it over first thing in the morning. I would of done it yesterday but I didn't even know that they didnt open on Sundays. The guy was going to sell the car otherwise and I really wanted it. It was stupid, look I know this. I never speed, never drive dangerously.. I'm not a boy racer. It was a bad sequence of events.

I feel really bad for my friend that he gave me a lift and now his car is totally.. I can deal with a ban/fine - but I can't deal with putting my friend through this crap. His gf was crying and everything from the shock.

I just feel awful right now. I don't have the money to pay for any fines, I'm in debt as it is.. I don't know what I'll do. Thanks for the all the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

miju wrote: »
    +1

you can expect a 1 year driving ban and an endorsement at the very least (which means you will be raped on insurance for quite a very long time). you took a gamble driving without insurance and just be thankful no one was seriously hurt or you could be looking at even more serious consequences.

+1. If you knew the road of the rules which I assume you did as you have your provisional license then you would know that you need to judge your braking distance if bad weather conditions. I do feel sorry for in the sense that not only will you have pay for your new car to get it fixed but also your friend’s car. If they ban you for a couple of years then you may come back a better driver, but to not have insurance for your car was stupid, if you knew you where collecting the car on that day you could have contacted your insurance company days before you decided to collect your knew car.

Out of interest what make was your new car and friends car?

Chonker wrote: »
    IForget about the worst that can happen i.e points fines loss of licence costly future insurance, and just imagine what the cell would look like if you had hurt/ killed somebody even if they had caused the accident. You are actually very lucky you have learned a great lesson and your not in prison.

Good point. i still think he deserves the book as it could have been worse and thats why we have insurance to cover the worst.

OP, My opinion may be harsh but know a few people hit by uninsured drivers and its terrible. Shows lack of responsibility and experience.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Guys, I know driving without insurance was stupid. I gave lots of space, but the roads were so slippy i could of skated down 100 metres. I never once did something like this before. I was going to transfer it over first thing in the morning. I would of done it yesterday but I didn't even know that they didnt open on Sundays. The guy was going to sell the car otherwise and I really wanted it. It was stupid, look I know this. I never speed, never drive dangerously.. I'm not a boy racer. It was a bad sequence of events.

I feel really bad for my friend that he gave me a lift and now his car is totally.. I can deal with a ban/fine - but I can't deal with putting my friend through this crap. His gf was crying and everything from the shock.

I just feel awful right now. I don't have the money to pay for any fines, I'm in debt as it is.. I don't know what I'll do. Thanks for the all the replies.

OP, You gotta learn to drive for the conditions on the road.

you seem to understand the trouble you are in so gonna level with you. You gotta come to terms with the fact that you may not be driving for the next year or two. Also you will get a fine as well.

Talk to your friend and tell him to get onto the motor insurance beareau as they will sort it out to fix his car. Link here. He may have to pay for the first €450 of this afaik. I would suggest you give this money to him as a mate as it was your fault that you hit into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

ninty9er wrote: »
    Driving without insurance is a mandatory court appearance and 5 points if convicted. Plus a fine handed down by the court. As you're on a provisional it'll probably be fairly hefty.

Mandatory disqualification for no insurance.

You may also find that you be sued, either by the injured party, or by the MIBI. Also if get any siginificant money in the next 6 years, the MIBI will be looking for it.

Basically, you are screwed, and I mean that in the nicest way possible!

(only solution I can think of as regards getting sued is if you friend admits liability for whatever reason. I wouldn't ask it of a friend though!)

maidhc wrote: »
    Mandatory disqualification for no insurance.

You may also find that you be sued, either by the injured party, or by the MIBI. Also if get any siginificant money in the next 6 years, the MIBI will be looking for it.

Basically, you are screwed, and I mean that in the nicest way possible!

Wow, didnt know the MIBI went looking for income in the future! Thats one lesson that will be well learned.

OP, at least the money you save from not having a car such as petrol, insurance, tax, maintenance, you can put towards the cost of the fine and damages!

OP, quick question.

Are you the policy holder on your insurance or are you named driver? If you are policy holder you may be covered to drive any other cars (most policies have this for the policy holders) as long as the other car is already insured by someone else. This means the guy who owned the car must still be insured on the car.

Check it out as it may get you out of this. If it does cover you then it will only give you third party cover but at least this will repair your mates car and save you from disqualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

OP, quick question.

Are you the policy holder on your insurance or are you named driver? If you are policy holder you may be covered to drive any other cars (most policies have this for the policy holders) as long as the other car is already insured by someone else. This means the guy who owned the car must still be insured on the car.

Check it out as it may get you out of this. If it does cover you then it will only give you third party cover but at least this will repair your mates car and save you from disqualification.

I think he would have to be fully comp to be insured (third party) on any other car.

PLUS it only applies if the car dosent belong to you

• Advertisement

Chonker wrote: »
    I think he would have to be fully comp to be insured (third party) on any other car.

No I am on a third party policy with One Direct and they have told me I am covered to drive any size car and do not have to let them know before hand.

I have confirmed this a good few times with them when Ive needed a bigger car for certain situations.

I have got full licence though but dont think that makes a difference for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

you done the crime so now you'll have to pay for it.

no sympathy for you my friend.

you'll be paying for this for at least 3 years i say.

another case of bad drivers with no insurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Not in this case. He will have to pay out any damages he did himself

can't remember the exact percentage. but at least 10% of your annual car insurance policy doesnt go to the insurance company but to MIBI.

if there less people acting the prat on the road then im sure you can do the rest of the maths

PLUS it only applies if the car dosent belong to you

OP may be able to get around this as no documented change of ownership as the log book has not been sent in yet I presume. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Plus the other car has to be insured aswell doesnt it? Oh and not owned by the op. Assuming the op filled in and dated the vlc they will be the owner and liable from today, inc the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OP may be able to get around this as no documented change of ownership as the log book has not been sent in yet I presume. I could be wrong.

I doubt the gards would let it go like that. if the seller sends the vlc in tomrow itll be gone anyway but if it arrives with the date obviously changed it'll look very dodgy and the gards will be wondering why the op was in possetion of the car , drivign towards his house. Plus theseller most likely cancelled his insurance in the car before today.

Once the cert is signed by the prevoius owner, the ownership is immediatly transferred. I dont think insurance fraud ontop of everything else is going to help

Stekelly wrote: »
    I doubt the gards would let it go like that. if the seller sends the vlc in tomrow itll be gone anyway but if it arrives with the date obviously changed it'll look very dodgy and the gards will be wondering why the op was in possetion of the car , drivign towards his house. Plus theseller most likely cancelled his insurance in the car before today.

Possibly, it is a long shot but may be worth a look into.

I still think the OP deserves the book to be thrown at him but am thinking about his mate here who will have to wait ages for the money for the repairs for the rear-end of his car from MIB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Talk to your friend and tell him to get onto the motor insurance beareau as they will sort it out to fix his car. Link here. He may have to pay for the first €450 of this afaik. I would suggest you give this money to him as a mate as it was your fault that you hit into him.

AFAIK, a percentage of every motor policy goes to fund the MIBI. So in effect, the law abiding motorists are covering the feckless uninsured drivers.
    If the MIBI cover the costs and compensation here, does the OP get away with just a fine and a ban.
    As an example, if the OP has written off his friends car worth 20k, then it will be the MIBI (paid for most motorists) who cover the costs and the OP only pays a €450 excess for his friend??
    WTF? :mad:
    I hope the MIBI come after the OP to recover the costs. Otherwise this is "the many subsidizing the few"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

How does it work when to op's friend already had crashed before the op arrived at the accident ?

Advertisement