Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underfloor heating, any good?

Options
  • 03-02-2008 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

I'm considering installing underfloor heating in my kitchen and was wondering if anyone has any experience, how good or bad it is. I'll plan to tile the entire floor and would like to replace my current radiators. Is underfloor heating sufficient to replace radiators? Also, any recommendations which brand is good?

Any comments, good or bad would be very welcome.

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

We have underground heating in our office which is great when it is working but say like today, it is quite cold and being economical about our bills, I usually turn it down on Friday and back up on Monday, but it will be tomorrow before the heat will be felt. It is not instant, unfortunately. Underground heating is ideal in countries like Germany, Austria etc. etc. where it is on all the time and give out a constant heat in extremely cold climates. We had a flooding problem before Christmas where the boiler leaked and since then one of the rooms has suffered in so far as the heating has not worked properly there and the timber floor is buckled. Now if we need to sort the problem the whole floor will have to come up. This would not happen if it was just ordinary rads! However, I am not going to influence your decisions but stating my experience of what happens when things don't go right. Oh, and the plumber we got in to sort out the mess says, he would never recommend underfloor heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

My mate installed (a plumber himself) it in his new bulid home - in the kitchen and bathrooms.

He would now recommend to anyone not to bother and fit rads - says its useless.

Thing is, you'd nearly have to have your boiling running all the time to justify it and control the heating properly.
    Ordinary Rads are cheaper, release the heat quicker and easier to fix if there is a problem.

You can also get some stylish contemporary sexy rads to hang on your walls if you willing to pay for em............infact, they can be a style statement as opposed to long white yokes hung on the walls.

Advertisement