Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a Shirt

Options
  • 03-02-2008 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, was wondering if you could help me here...

I got a shirt in Primark (Pennies) yesterday but Im not happy with the fit. I tried it on in store and it seemed fine but when I tried it on at home I wasnt happy. But I had already taken the tags off. Im looking to return the shirt - I still have all the tags, and the receipt so is it still possible to return? Im not looking for money back or anything, just a size higher would be grand.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

highly unlikely, as the shirt is not in a re-saleable condition. No harm in trying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Might be ok, they might be able to just reattach the tag. Ring up and check I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'd say it'd be ok. When I worked in clothes shops we had a gun thing to put tags back on. Alsom Penney's are v laid back about returns. Most shops put it through the till, even if you're just changing for a bigger size, for stocltaking reasons. Anytime I'l changed a size in Penney's they've just checked the receipt, said ok and taken the one I'm returning off me and put the newer one in the carrier bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I doubt it, when I worked at a shop obscenely laid back about returns (we regularly accepted stuff we hadn't even sold) unless it was faulty it had to have tags on to be taken back. You could always pop a button off it I suppose, but you didn't get that from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't see why they wouldn't return it. The tags can be put back on most of the time. Everywhere I worked did it as long as you have the receipt. Plus you should be within your consumer rights to do so unless otherwise stated on the receipt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't see why they wouldn't return it. The tags can be put back on most of the time. Everywhere I worked did it as long as you have the receipt. Plus you should be within your consumer rights to do so unless otherwise stated on the receipt.

The OP has zero consumer rights here.
    There is nothing wrong with the shirt and if the shop take it back then it's a matter of good-will. They certainly don't have to

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

micmclo wrote: »
    The OP has zero consumer rights here.
    There is nothing wrong with the shirt and if the shop take it back then it's a matter of good-will. They certainly don't have to

Valid point. I doubt they will have a problem changing it though. If it hasn't been worn/washed they never usually have a problem. All you can do is ask anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As said, no legal right to return it, but some shops will, and well known shops that have been around ages value their good name/goodwill. i expect pennies/primark would.

I would also say that you didnt buy it yourself, hence the poor fit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I used to work in penneys service desk - and it pretty much depends on the persons mood at the time. If you didn't have a receipt, and the tags were in your hand, I wouldn't take it back. But ye do, so I dunno...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I bought a work shirt from dunnes a few years ago and it was a size too small which I only noticed once I'd removed the plastic clips, plastic collar thingummy and pins and cardboard. I tried to settle it all back up but it looked a bit ****. They wouldn't take it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I work in Dunnes, and some of the clothes that have been refunded don't have tags, or else have the tags stapled to the silk tag. So you probably could. The main reason is not because it can't be resold- it can, but it's a pain because the barcode number has to be typed/found on the computer and it has to be written on the receipt that there was no tag.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How are you supposed to know if it fits without taking out the pins and cardboard?
    Don't you have a change of mind law in Ireland where you can bring anything back within 7 days?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Don't you have a change of mind law in Ireland where you can bring anything back within 7 days?
    Only for door to door/distance (i.e. phone/internet/mail) bought items, not for store bought items.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Penney's are generally excellent about returns. You've got nothing to lose by trying.

Advertisement