Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Mosque on the Prairie

• 03-02-2008 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this Canadian comedy series, currently being broadcast by CBC, and available on the internet? The series is now in its second season. It's based around a mosque that's recently been set up in a small town in the Canadian mid-west (Saskatchewan or Alberta). The mosque is renting the parish rooms of an Anglican church. Characters include the young imam, formerly a lawyer in Toronto, a Lebanese builder and his convert wife and their daughter (a doctor), a Pakistani economics professor and his teenage daughter, the owner of a small cafe, and various non-Muslim characters.

The storylines are gentle rather than roll-on-the-floor comedy, though they manage to introduce some Islamic themes in a subtle way. There's a discussion board at http://littlemosqueontheprairie.wordpress.com/ that is picking up the episodes as they appear.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

Saw some of it on youtube ages ago, not overly impressed I must admit. Maybe the second series will be more funny, that happens sometimes with sitcoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

I saw the first episode of the first series way back when it was first released (and had actually meant to post here about it but never got round to it).

I have to say that I liked it. Granted, it's not Fawtly Towers standard of comedy but it's pretty good. I remember reading a comment on youtube about it that said something like "Destroying stereotypes using comedy is a great idea" and I guess I'd have to agree.

Having said that, there were a few moments where I felt that maybe one shouldn't joke about. I can't really remember them now :) Must watch a few more episodes to get a more complete opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Just want to mention that the third series of Little Mosque on the Prairie has been running on Canadian television (CBC) since October. You can pick up past episodes on YouTube by going to the MydienMusic Channel.

Advertisement