Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick thermostat question....

Options
  • 03-02-2008 8:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I took the stat out of my car to see if it was ok.

It looked like this one....

stat.jpg

Does that look alright? Is it "stuck open"??

I put it in boiling water - nothing happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

When you placed it in the boiling water, was the water continuing to boil? If it was, and you left it in for a few minutes, then yes, it is most likely stuck open. If you're having trouble with the engine taking ages to heat up then this could be your problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

Yes but is this a picture of an open thermostat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I dont think your thermostat looks like that. the widest part of your stat is metal?? just inside that ring is the moving part with prob a rubber gasket on it. if you can see daylight through there when it is sitting on your kitchen table its knackered. the aint dear, lob one in and see the difference it will make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Doesnt look open to me the silver bit on the left should open.
    Open it by hand and put a piece of string into it then put it into a boiling pot or kettle and see does it fall off the string.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

That thermostat looks different to any I have seen, but it looks closed to me. I think that if heated, the silver part would move away from you, compressing the spring and leaving a gap between itself and the black casing.

• Advertisement

slideways wrote: »
    I dont think your thermostat looks like that.

Well I pulled that exact thermostat out of my car. It's from a 98 Ibiza.

Can you see the gap on the right where the springs are? Well you can close that gap by squeezing the left and right sides together. So when I squeeze it - is it open or closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I dont know how i got mixed up but i thought it wasan old golf you were driving..
    Anyway on the left of that picture the moving part is the silver disc, it should move down when it gets to the right temp allowing coolant to move between it and the black surrounding frame

Cheers slideways. The seat ibiza I have is the exact same as a vw polo so it has the same parts which is why u got mixed up.

Advertisement