Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

currys electrical

Options
  • 03-02-2008 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Having a problem with Currys electrical. Looking for a copy of a receipt as i have a faulty product which is just out of warranty (6months). Product was a wedding present so i don't know how it was paid but I know when and where. The duty manager was insisting on knowing the method of payment bedore issuing a duplicate receipt even though my details are on file. Where do I stand?

Does anyone know how to get through to the owners (DSG) as i can't find them on the web?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

if you are looking to arrange a service call you dont need your reciept as your details are on file ,just tell the manager to organise it for you ,he has to -to be honest ,he is prob right not to reprint a reciept to you ,could be cc details on it etc ,-ask the person who gave you the pressie for the reciept

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You are not entitled to anything, I'm afraid. You are not the purchaser of the item, and only that person actually has any comeback under law.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

therein lies the problem. The item was purchased by a 3rd party. The item was registered in my/her indoors name and a duplicate receipt does not carry cc details.

The manager was just being awkward imo. It was a present and would you like to ask someone who gave you a present , "sorry but 18months ago you gave us a wedding present. Thanks but how did you pay for it?"

Come on, lets be honest about this. I know i'm not entitled to anything by law but ffs.

It could also be that DSG updates their systems recently enough. I don't know if it was more than 18 months ago but I know they can't look up stuff from their old system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

DSG Head Office is in the UK, somewhere in Cambs or something, down South toward London. If they're anything like they were a couple of years ago the guys in the stores are Mother Teresa compared to the ones you get when you phone up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

chrislad wrote: »
    It could also be that DSG updates their systems recently enough. I don't know if it was more than 18 months ago but I know they can't look up stuff from their old system.

its the law that you must hold all information on transactions for a set period of time so they can look it up -if you buy an item from an electrical retailer and it breaks down ,within warrenty,its not up to you to contact the manufacturers (although most do ) you simply ring the retailer and they have to organise the service call for you -this is partly why they must hold your information ,for access at a later date -if they cant look up things from thier old system they are leaving themselves wide open to fraudulent service calls and the like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

knighted wrote: »
    its the law that you must hold all information on transactions for a set period of time so they can look it up -if you buy an item from an electrical retailer and it breaks down ,within warrenty,its not up to you to contact the manufacturers (although most do ) you simply ring the retailer and they have to organise the service call for you -this is partly why they must hold your information ,for access at a later date -if they cant look up things from thier old system they are leaving themselves wide open to fraudulent service calls and the like ;)

The vast majority of items sold in a lot of electrical shops are not delivered, moreso now wit Tv boxes becoming smaller due to lcd's. I worked in one up to 18months ago and if it wasnt for delivery no customer details are taken. Barcodes on boxes are generic so non tracable. Are you sayign that retailers are breaking the law by not taking personaldetails from every customer? cos thats bs.

On the warranty issue, without a receipt, how do you know an item is within warranty (assuming its been available for sale for a time shorter than the warranty period. I've known a few to be accomodating if the item was released less than a year before the fault, so most likely is in warranty)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

shops are absolutely not required to take details of every customer and its up to the customer to provide proof of purchase, not the retailer. that's why they're required to issue receipts

BS. The onus is on the consumer to hold onto proof of purchase, not the retailer. If the retailer does, that's a bonus, but they are in no way obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    therein lies the problem. The item was purchased by a 3rd party. The item was registered in my/her indoors name and a duplicate receipt does not carry cc details.

The manager was just being awkward imo. It was a present and would you like to ask someone who gave you a present , "sorry but 18months ago you gave us a wedding present. Thanks but how did you pay for it?"

Come on, lets be honest about this. I know i'm not entitled to anything by law but ffs.

I see where your coming from with this post. Most managers are alright and once you provide them with the correct details you will be grand. For example, they might ask you your surname or the name of the original buyer.

On most products you have a 12 month warrenty, what was the product just as a matter of interest? If it is something like a washing machine or tv, then their policy is to book a service engineer to go out to your house to fix the product.

• Advertisement
Advertisement