Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If You Could Change The Nationality Of One Player...

• 03-02-2008 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

Who would it be? Who would you make Irish. Lets say you've got an Irish granny to go around, who would you give it to? (I know how that sounds :eek:)

I spose you could confer a different nationality on one of the existing players too.

Anywho, I might be a tad biased but I'd take Emmanuel MacAdebayor to lead the line with Robbie Keane. I think he's the type of player that would suit Ireland down to the ground. Having said that, a centre mid would prolly be a better way of spending the granny.

Well, who would you like to see conferred honorary Irish citizenship?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Wayne Rooney.....oh wait.

Eh Esteban McCambiasso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Stephen Gerrard / Micheal Essien. i.e. someone who can drive things on from the centre, go box to box, be a pale imitation of Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Kaka or Ronaldo

They have the ability to turn a game entirely on their own, and the rest of the team could defend non-stop. Let Keane and Kaka/Ronaldo attack, and then let the rest defend :)

It has to be a midfielder imo, our worst position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

John O'Shea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

The Great Riquelme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Co-sign tdv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DSB wrote: »
    John O'Shea.

:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Personally I don't think Ronaldo or Kaka would get much joy playing for the Ireland team. They'd be crowded out. And by joy, I mean success in matches. I don't think anyone gets actual joy from playing for the Ireland these days.

I'd go for either Fabregas, Xavi or Essien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Fabregas + Berbatov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Cristiano Ronaldo.

Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Ronaldinho

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

ruud van nist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeah, a midfielder like Essien or Gerrard would be good but seeing as they're already capped....

.....Jimmy Bullard, please :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Personally I don't think Ronaldo or Kaka would get much joy playing for the Ireland team. They'd be crowded out. And by joy, I mean success in matches. I don't think anyone gets actual joy from playing for the Ireland these days.

I'd go for either Fabregas, Xavi or Essien.

:D Unsurprisingly I agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think id go Fabregas. Just improves everyone around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

mayordenis wrote: »
    ruud van nist

great, then we'd have robbie keane and RVN up in the box waiting an entire match for a ball to come to them :)

personally, i wouldnt mind someone like john terry or jamie carrigher. Someone who can lead the team, and actually defend.
    irish team just doesnt have a proper captain.

great, then we'd have robbie keane and RVN up in the box waiting an entire match for a ball to come to them :)

personally, i wouldnt mind someone like john terry or jamie carrigher. Someone who can lead the team, and actually defend.

Richard Dunne? He's a club captian, is one of our three best players and plays in an important position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Has to be Cristiano Ronaldo. Imagine the Dunphy reactions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Richie Dunne if anyone would ever see sense and give it to him. He's a natural leader imo and I think freeing Keane of the responsibility would result in him playing better.

I'd love Cesc O'Fabregas to play but he needs a Flamini type beside him to let him fully exploit the other team. Which Lee Carsley could do.... maybe :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Even though I would say Ronaldo, Kaka and Messi are the world's best players at the minute, I don't think they would hugely alter our success, we need someone in the middle to control the game.
    Fabregas, Xavi those sorta players are what we need.
    I'd go with Fabregas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Mmm, well IMO we need a center back to go along side Dunne... I can figure out who to play in other positions, McShane is just terrible so I'll shift him to the side. Namanja Vidic,
    there is our answer to 2 center backs as hard as nailz (yes, I know I am :D).

Team;
    Given(c)
    --McShane--Dunne--Vidic--O'Shìte--
    Carsley
    --A.Reid
    Duff--
    Hunt

Doyle
    Keane

I know you might be scratching your head at the fact McShane is on the right and Hunt is in A-Mid, but I reckon if you have 5 players devoted to defending and 5 to attacking you would have and equaly balanced side. I don't think the full back attacking on the wings suits Ireland so you just put the players with fùck all hope of doing that there. We have 4 wingers, all of them left footed :confused:, so I put the best ones in the squad with one of them in AM (Hunt) because I think he is the most capable there. Given's captain because Keane is a useless captain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd just like to be able to minus 15 years off Roy Keane's age.

lol at the Utd fans in this thread.

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'd just like to be able to minus 15 years off Roy Keane's age.

this is the correct answer if we're having wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

:rolleyes:
    I'm a Utd fan and I said Fabregas, can I have my blue peter badge now please :D

why exactly? I'm actually dying to hear the answer to this.

why exactly? I'm actually dying to hear the answer to this.

"LET'S HAVE RONALDO!!". Eh no. A player like that needs good players around him; needs possession; needs to be able to give away the ball. The fact that he is a great attacking talent is indisputable - but if you actually consider the Irish squad and this hypothetical - you should realize that he wouldn't be anywhere near the best choice. The pound for pound most talented player doesn't always go #1 in the NFL draft.

"LET'S HAVE VIDIC!!". :confused:

"LET'S HAVE RONALDO!!". Eh no. A player like that needs good players around him; needs possession; needs to be able to give away the ball. The fact that he is a great attacking talent is indisputable - but if you actually consider the Irish squad and this hypothetical - you should realize that he wouldn't be anywhere near the best choice. The pound for pound most talented player doesn't always go #1 in the NFL draft.

Says the man who picked Gerrard, a player known for going missing quite often at club level and who hasn't put in a good performance for his country in a long time. Actaully, hold on, maybe his mediocre displays would fit in nicely with us so I suppose you're right. :rolleyes:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Says the man who picked Gerrard, a player known for going missing quite often at club level and who hasn't put in a good performance for his country in a long time. Actaully, hold on, maybe his mediocre displays would fit in nicely with us so I suppose you're right. :rolleyes:

When Gerrard does it though, it involves dragging everyone along by the scruff of the neck and being the absolute focal point. And he has done it before in champions league crunchers, cup finals, tricky league ties. Most of the England players have been underperforming when it counts at key times for the last 12 years. Bad coaching has a lot to do with that.

I would take Gerrard / Essien / Gattuso. Then maybe someone like Ballack. My point is the type of player we need; I think it is someone that approaches what Keane gave us when we qualified for the 2002 WC. A tough tackling, athletic presence in the middle of the park that can take the bulk of responsibility upon their shoulders and drive a team to victory.

Plus, remember that we are not really talking about consistency. This isn't a 50 game a season equation. We are talking about the upside of players. The assumption is that they will perform at their best when it counts.

• Advertisement

When Gerrard does it though, it involves dragging everyone along by the scruff of the neck and being the absolute focal point. And he has done it before in champions league crunchers, cup finals, tricky league ties. Most of the England players have been underperforming when it counts at key times for the last 12 years. Bad coaching has a lot to do with that.

Still better coaching than he'd have gotten with us :p

Still better coaching than he'd have gotten with us :p

Kerr, McCarthy >>>>>> McClaren.

Eriksson seemed to bottle the job at times even though he has a wonderful record at club level. The same can be said for Keegan.

So you're loling at people for having a different opinion on what Ireland needs? Eh nice.

So you're loling at people for having a different opinion on what Ireland needs? Eh nice.

Kinda. What I really find funny is that they think: "Utd are playing great this season and Ronaldo has lots of goals therefore he must be the bestest player evar and he'll make Ireland the Utd of the International scene".

Kerr, McCarthy >>>>>> McClaren.

McClaren is a better coach than McCarthy, just not as good a manager and there's where he went wrong with England.

McClaren is a better coach than McCarthy, just not as good a manager and there's where he went wrong with England.

Yes, you are correct. In terms of coaching techniques, etc McClaren is supposed to be topclass. But remember that International coaches don't have the kind of time to work with their players where advanced coaching techniques can make a significant difference. It's about tactics, team selection, motivation. In that respect England have been very unfortunate since Hoddle was sacked (Fowler's comments in his biography about half time vs Brazil are wow).

Actually, I should have used the term management rather than coaching from the off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Essien

Kinda. What I really find funny is that they think: "Utd are playing great this season and Ronaldo has lots of goals therefore he must be the bestest player evar and he'll make Ireland the Utd of the International scene".

I'm not a United fan, but if I had given a serious answer in this thread it would definitely have been Ronaldo. I just don't see the relevance of pointing it towards United fans. There are lots of neutrals who share this view. The worst part is I can almost 100% assume that you're a Liverpool fan from your posts. Correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

John O'Shea.

i only came onto this thread to post that but ya got there before me:D

I'm not a United fan, but if I had given a serious answer in this thread it would definitely have been Ronaldo. I just don't see the relevance of pointing it towards United fans. There are lots of neutrals who share this view. The worst part is I can almost 100% assume that you're a Liverpool fan from your posts. Correct?

correct.

But why is your serious answer Ronaldo? Or to put it another way, would you rather have Ronaldo on current form or Keane when he was at his very best in games like Portugal at Landsdowne in June 2001? What type of player has the bigger impact?

correct.

But why is your serious answer Ronaldo? Or to put it another way, would you rather have Ronaldo on current form or Keane when he was at his very best in games like Portugal at Landsdowne in June 2001? What type of player has the bigger impact?

I'd rather have Keane in his prime. But there isn't a player like that around for me. Vieira was 1. Fabregas maybe. Xavi and Iniesta are both class too, but Ronaldo is a huge difference maker in a team, one of those players who can take nothing and turn it into a goal which is something Ireland could definitely do with. Generally we aren't the sort of team that concedes tonnes of goals, we're solid like (aside from that 5-2 hammering obviously). Germany only put the 1 past us, I think Czech Republic only got the 2? We just need some sort of spark in the team, which is why I'd have gone for a Ronaldo or a Messi.

• Advertisement

I'd rather have Keane in his prime. But there isn't a player like that around for me. Vieira was 1. Fabregas maybe. Xavi and Iniesta are both class too, but Ronaldo is a huge difference maker in a team, one of those players who can take nothing and turn it into a goal which is something Ireland could definitely do with. Generally we aren't the sort of team that concedes tonnes of goals, we're solid like (aside from that 5-2 hammering obviously). Germany only put the 1 past us, I think Czech Republic only got the 2? We just need some sort of spark in the team, which is why I'd have gone for a Ronaldo or a Messi.

He needs possession. He needs his team to have some semblance of control over the game. And he needs good movement and options around him.

I strongly disagree with your view of Ireland's recent performances and our problems. We were anemic in midfield last campaign. Carsley helps to protect the back four, but fails to control the middle of the park and create a platform. Away at the Czech Republic (which was the game where our campaign realistically ended) was the finest example of where we were lacking.

It seems clear to me that you drop a player like Gerrard / Essien / Gattuso in to that game and we have a much better chance of three points than if you throw Ronaldo in an advanced position. Is that not obvious? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This argument makes no sense to me. If he was in an Irish team he would have good players around him. He'd shine in a midfield of Hunt, Ireland and Stephen Reid for example.

The Irish team at the minute has plenty of players who can work hard so I don't believe the ideal choice would be a grafting midfielder but rather one who can turn games on their head with a moment of magic. I don't think we've anyone that fits that mould at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ronaldo would be good, sure he'd tie up at least 2 players with the double marking giving Lee Carsley the space to work his magic... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Fernando torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think Danielle De Rossi would be a great player for Ireland. He's young so we'd get alot of mileage, He's a great team player and he unbelievably passionate. He's also a natural captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Tony Cascarino...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Andrea Pirlo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

24 year old Henry...

We have had great players like Keane,Brady,Giles before who were comparable to modern day greats like Essien,Messi,Iniesta, but we have never had anyone like a young Henry, that pace,skill,power etc...

Todays game I would go for Kaka, he has alot of what Henry had, with a much more advanced football brain than Cris Ronaldo.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'd have to change Kaka's nationality if I had the choice.

I'd make him an Argentinian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Suprisingly I disagree with Ronaldo, we have enough good wingers, maybe not as good as him but we need to fill up other positions like center half and full back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement