Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Awards

• 03-02-2008 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Opinions?

Surprised Hunt didnt get a nomination, let alone an award.

The Stephen Ireland part was rather awkward.

I nearly split my sides at the awards to the female players "She is very good at keeping goal" or somesuch, Im not being offensive to the nominees, just the "shes a great young girl" commentary that sounded like it had been written by their grandads, it was like the Fr Ted Lovely Girls contest :D

The comedy was awful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

"The much fanciable Italians" :D

Dunne (poty), Ireland (young poty) and Doyle (best goal) deserved their awards. I would have went for Stephen Quinn for U21 player though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

eirebhoy wrote: »

LOL :D

So here we go, Google Image search

http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_3791_gallery.JPG

First to the left....eh, beer please. Middle are alright.

If I scored your one on the far right it would be the finest scoring since Maradona in 86 :D

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/73783813.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1930EC3535F149CDF2350E226FB051A9D6E284831B75F48EF45

3rd one sitting is pretty cute :p

Which reminds me.....the girl who won the under 17 award.....they are all legal arent they?

ooh yeah :eek: ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

eirebhoy wrote: »

Dunne (poty), Ireland (young poty) and Doyle (best goal) deserved their awards. I would have went for Stephen Quinn for U21 player though.

:eek::eek:

Rewarding arseholism that is.

Speaking of which, Duffer is interviewed in the Sunday World today, seems to indicate Steohen has alot of attitude. Which is surprising, he always seems a bit shy in interviews, and even tonight getting the award.

**** though I wish a journalist would just ask him if he is ever intending to come back.

As for best goal, I dunno, I rated Doyles header against Slovakia higher for some reason.

Maybe because my Slovak workmate (shes heavy into ice hockey like most from there, doesnt really follow the football bar this one game) said

"What the ****! That was ****ing terrible...like....he knocked it with his head!"

:D

It reminded me of the Budweiser "American commentators" ads during WC 06.

shane86 wrote: »
    **** though I wish a journalist would just ask him if he is ever intending to come back.
    He'll be in the next squad no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No it's rewarding your best young player cause that's exactly what he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I nearly split my sides at the awards to the female players "She is very good at keeping goal" or somesuch, Im not being offensive to the nominees, just the "shes a great young girl" commentary that sounded like it had been written by their grandads, it was like the Fr Ted Lovely Girls contest :D

Also loved when an award was being given to the Arsenal keeper she was told "careful,its heavy". No one else was told this of course,just the woman. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,695 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Goal of the year? Surprised they actually had 3 to choose from.

tvnutz wrote: »
    Also loved when an award was being given to the Arsenal keeper she was told "careful,its heavy". No one else was told this of course,just the woman. :D

LOL :D Im surprised they didnt just go pure Father Ted on it

"Well done! So, you`re a pretty girl, AND you play football! Thats pretty mad, do you have fun playing it?"

Yourself and Eirebhoy are reminding me of two classic parts I had forgotten about :p

By his respectful presentation speech to her I presume Noel King got the Womens Football job on the grounds he is the only man in the FAI/sports media who talks to female footballers as sportspeople as opposed to girls who "do the boys stuff".

Was a few fine yokes in the audience briefly shown during the comedy piece.

Its funny how boards becomes part of your football mindset- any of the at least five times John Delaney was shown grinning/laughing away at whatever the first thought entering my mind was "I wonder if your man DesF from boards is watching" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Its funny how boards becomes part of your football mindset- any of the at least five times John Delaney was shown grinning/laughing away at whatever the first thought entering my mind was "I wonder if your man DesF from boards is watching" :D

I wasn't. Thank christ, I probably would have thrown my teelly out the window.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No it's rewarding your best young player cause that's exactly what he is.

But thats not what the award was for...

This sends out very bad signals when a player can act like he did and get rewarded for it. Very innapropriate.

But thats not what the award was for...

This sends out very bad signals when a player can act like he did and get rewarded for it. Very innapropriate.

So the award is NOT for his footballing ability/performances? Cause that's what he got it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Agree. Surprise they didn't have an international manager of the year award for Stan as well and the way things are going he could win the award for 2008 as defending champion. I mean I don't mind these awards if the team did any good but what a waste of tv liscence money covering this sh1te.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So the award is NOT for his footballing ability/performances? Cause that's what he got it for.

Not his ability, no. Then Aiden McGeady would win all the prizes.

The prize was for performances from a young player. One great, one good, and two dead grannies.

The guy is in a self imposed exile from international ball, one I hope he grows out of. In the meantime it was a highly innappropriate award for him to win. That and he simply didnt play well enough often enough for the prize.

What signal does it send out to the rest of the squad and future players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Glad to see Mooney winning his award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

The prize was for performances from a young player. One great, one good, and two dead grannies.

Who was your young player of the year then?.

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Who was your young player of the year then?.

Of the three nominees, Long, Ireland and McGeady, I would pick Aiden McGeady.

Sparse pickings I will admit, but he played the most of the three and while had a couple of howlers, also was also very solid and composed on the ball.

Even not factoring in Irelands little tantrum and retirement, he hasnt much claim to the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Of the three nominees, Long, Ireland and McGeady, I would pick Aiden McGeady.

Sparse pickings I will admit, but he played the most of the three and while had a couple of howlers, also was also very solid and composed on the ball.

Even not factoring in Irelands little tantrum and retirement, he hasnt much claim to the title.

are u serious? did you actually watch any game last year? i was at each and every one of irelands games and he was awful barring the meaningless last one. mcgeady has a long long way to go to be considered good enough for ireland. Ireland, Duff, Hunt are all away ahead of him in the pecking order.

McGeady has been very poor for us bar his sub cameo against Cyprus. Hunt hasn't done anything of note in his few starts to date either though. For a competitive I'd go with Hunt certainly but for the friendlies I'd rather go with McGeady. Better player imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

McGeady getting an award would of been so funny :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Unearthly wrote: »
    McGeady getting an award would of been so funny :D

Ireland showing up with his granny would have benn ****ing hilarious.

kdjac

are u serious? did you actually watch any game last year? i was at each and every one of irelands games and he was awful barring the meaningless last one. mcgeady has a long long way to go to be considered good enough for ireland. Ireland, Duff, Hunt are all away ahead of him in the pecking order.

Ireland isnt, he has quit the side.

Of the three options, McGeady had the better year.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Ireland showing up with his granny would have benn ****ing hilarious.

Or both of them.

Or two grandmothers and some elderly neighbour he claimed was his granny as he passed the knee deep stage.

OhNoYouDidn't- eh, oh the **** no you didnt!!! I doubt many Scots care anymore that he defected. He has had few strong performances for us, and I doubt he would get a game for Scotland.

heh, I was in Glasgow over the summer, absoloutely belting weekend, class city for Irish lads on the rip, Scottish women nearly orgasm upon hearing the accent. Anyway, enough of my plug paid for by the Glasgae Tewrizm Bird. We ran into some gers fans (female) who gave us a load of stick about him, one claimed her sister went out with him (all from the same area apparently) and made several libellous statements I shall not dare repeat here :D

**** tho.....Glasgow.....**** :D If the economy wasnt so sh1te there Id pack up and leave in a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

McGeady would start for Scotland...No doubt. Nice story though.

I think Hutton, Brown and their left back would start for us. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

isnt Hunt too old to win young player of the year? he is like 26/27 isnt he?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    isnt Hunt too old to win young player of the year? he is like 26/27 isnt he?

They should just give him an award anyway.

Just for being him.

thats beautiful des, really beautiful.

shame he is ****e though :)

thats beautiful des, really beautiful.
    So is he. :o
    shame he is ****e though :)
    Meh, he'd do a job for 'pool ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

agreed desf, that hartlepool bunch really need some help.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    Meh, he'd do a job for 'pool ;)

he'd be more of the same as wat we have, good but not good enough! sorry!

agreed desf, that hartlepool bunch really need some help.
    he'd be more of the same as wat we have, good but not good enough! sorry!
    :eek:

Mr Alan in "Liverpool have crap players" admission shocker!!:D

i really aint as blind as people think i am Betty :)

Edit:i didnt say crap, hunt is not crap, bit mean from you Des! ;)

i really aint as blind as people think i am Betty :)
    I know that, but still, Stevie Wonder hasn't a patch on you.
    hunt is not crap,
    You damn right he's not. He's deadly is what he is.
    bit mean from you Des! ;)
    Yeah I know.

Stephen, if you're reading this, I'm sorry :(

Wonder is one cool ****er (before he lost it somewhat), any comparrison to him is alright by me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZFf0pm0SE

Wonder is one cool ****er
    Not as cool as Hunty.:cool::cool:

• Advertisement

****ing hell Des, you should really go see someone about this obsession.

****ing hell Des, you should really go see someone about this obsession.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having an obsession over a player. In fact, I see it as being quite healthy :D

/Adds a lock of hair to the shrine...

only problem is lads, the players you both obsess over are ****e!

if ya wanna develop a proper obsession, click below.... but i warn you.....

have the tissues ready! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bIsjqIigTI

Damn work not letting me access yotube. Who is it?

And as for your blasphemy you'd wet yourself (amongst other things) if he ever signed for your lot

I'll give ya a clue......

he's australian.........and he has pretty hair :)

• Advertisement

I'll give ya a clue......

he's australian.........and he has pretty hair :)

It's Tim Cahill isn't it? Always knew you were a closet Toffee

:)

ya caught me!

Advertisement