Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What was your first car?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

1979 Hillman Hunter, a beautiful mustard yellow colour!

Bought for $250 NZ (about £80) and it got me all around New Zealand for months until the engine blew after a couple of hundred k's of filthy black smoke billowing out the back ot it..
    Parked it up on the side of the road, took all my gear out of it and started hitching. This bloke picked me up and was saying that he was a mechanic so I gave him the keys and said he was welcome to it, hopefully it's still running somewhere in NZ!!
    In return he told me to reach under the passenger seat and I pulled out a bag of sticky green with a pipe made out of garden hose, and had a nice few smokes while he drove me to the next town, one good turn and all that....

Here's something very similar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I had a Toyota Linea Luna Liftback. 97 Reg, only got rid of it last year.

Even after 10 years it only had 85,000 on the clock.

Looked like this:

z.cd187afeedc93cc8bd385d8afd239a8d.jpg

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

1992 1.0 Corsa

It was in great condition with very low mileage. Awful brakes and dodgy synchro with 3rd gear.....sold it after a year for a £800 quid profit though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Garda_boss

A renault 19. Wrote it off one night on a roundabout and it wasn't really missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johntreacy

A 1993 Fiesta 1L
    It had a c*** of an immobilizer that if you touched the accelerator when trying to start it, it had to be pulled about a mile to start it(It always flooded while trying to turn off the immobilizer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

A 94 suzuki Cultus (swift) Jap import so it had aircon etc.
    Looks like: http://kildare.ie/knn/trishoneillcar1.jpg
    Only my one was wine and had alloys i got put on.
    I got it in 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

93 Nissan Micra 1.2, it was the old box style car in silver. Got it for free off my uncle whos a mechanic.

It seemed nippy enough (up to 60) and served me well for the 6 months I had it in 2006. Nearly got blown off the road on the n11 a few times with wind though!

When I was up in dublin working some lads tried to hotwire it, they nearly had it but caught them before they got the engine up and running. Got it fixed up again with a spare ignition.

Polish lad has it now, still going strong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

96 3dr Civic. Liked the looks, the reliability of it, ease of servicing, the fact that it was among the better handling and performing 1.4 hatch's I could get, and I liked the dials!
    Dislikes : Not a lot. Maybe a bit of sound insulation wouldn't have gone astray, but that didn't bother me too much. Also wished it was more powerful at the time than 89bhp. A 2.2 vti Prelude is what I aspired to as the next wagon! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

1990 Honda Civic 1.5 Dual Carb.

All for, nothing against, great car, great growl from engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

1995 Ford Fiesta 1.1l

Great fun to drive. It had a gearstick like one in a bus and it drove like a go kart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

A 1994 1.2l Renualt Clio in 2002 Be-Bop model with 103k miles. I had it three months when I crashed it and worte it off, bought another 1994 Clio that year, lasted a year when it died at 74k miles, bought my Astra which I still have today.

Like: It was Black and was my first car.
    Disl: Nothing only the 4k insurance bill for the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

My first baby was an all black '94 1275cc Rover Mini Cooper...

Loved: the image, the handling, the head-turning, the fun, the nostalgia it drummed up in nearly everyone it passed, the cheeky ducking into or out of traffic & other manouvres people let me away with while they coo'd over it's cuteness & the mechanical, electrical & general motor maintenance learning curve to keep it on the road.

Hated: eventually...the mechanical, electrical & general motor maintenance learning curve to keep it on the road.

Fond memories though of 94 D 16847, met her in Galway last year so went to a good home (& at a profit!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    1979 C Type Opel Kadette, 2 door..
    Had a 1.6 Ascona engine fitted, RWD...

Sooo much fun on a shoe-string budget..:D

opelkadettclu5.th.jpg

Sorry now I dont have a photo and even more sorry I sold it for a song :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jayj224

I loved this car saved up for it since I got my first job at 16. Was taken in by the wheels :rolleyes: expensive mistake :mad: bought the car with a cracked alloy and broken electric windows and a bone shaking exhaust. My Da did the took the test drive as I was a week away from 17. Still loved it was cool car. Only buy sensible cars for your first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

In 2002 bought a 96 seat ibiza 1.4 glx elec mirrors, windows etc 32k miles

Sold it last year to younger bro with 85k miles on it

For
    Unbelieveably reliable never anything went wrong
    comfortable
    Nippy

Against
    Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Black 94 Mitsubishi Colt, 1.3L
    I was 19...god I got pulled over so many times. Happy memories! Little thing went like a bat out of hell and didnt look half bad for the type of car it was. I miss that vehicle:( That said I am now considering buying the latest lancer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

87 VW Polo Fox "Ranger" (the one that had a kind of 2 door estate body)

originally a UK car, and i bought it from the guy who had it from new. He worked in the same company, and was relocating back to the UK.

What i liked - it had a great 1.3 engine, rock solid and pokey enough. As a UK car, and as a special edition, it had some nice extras - bolstered front seats, sunroof, electric windows, very well looked after.

What was not so good - the fact that it looked like a nurses car :rolleyes:,
    so not much in the way of street cred there. That was about it really.

Sold it to my mate (for his wife) after 18months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ImaBM-man

2000 Pug 206 1.1l

For
    Previous owners did some work on it so it was colour coded and so on but didnt look like a granny or boyracer car.
    Was my first car(Was dying to get on the road!)

Against
    Horribly slow....it was an embarrassment
    Insurance....2500 as a 3rd name driver!
    Probably spent more time being fixed then drivin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 peterpaulogrady

i can't remember the make or model of the car (i got it free in a box of kellogs cornflakes:)) what did i hate about it ? i had to share it with my brothers and sister :eek: what did i like about it? it cost nothing to run ;) no petrol :p no penalty points :D no insurance :rolleyes: no road tax and best of all no rip off NCT :mad: (how many times have you & your friends lights failed the nct :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

1978 Nissan Cherry F11,red,two door.It was 4 years old when I bought it and I was king of the road.Many great memories....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

'85 lime green Ford Fiesta ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

1985 Renault 5

Bought it for £200 back in the days of the Irish punt sold it for £250 a year later :)

Never gave any trouble.

On the negative side the road holding was scarily bad , I used to be afraid to go round a corner faster than 40 mph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Attached. 1.25 Zetec. Great motor and very chuckable. No real complaints. Pity about the 2,800 euro insurance bill for my 1st year on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

port wrote: »
    1978 Nissan Cherry F11,red,two door.It was 4 years old when I bought it and I was king of the road.Many great memories....
    I have a 1980 one now,still a great car!!:DWhat happend to your one in the end?
    My first road car was a 1986 4 door blue opel corsa 1.0, cost me 700 quid in 99,drove her till 2004,still have it tucked away in the shed awaiting restoration some day!! couldnt bare to scrap her!Its an old irish reg too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Still on the first, 01 Corsa. Does the job, dying to get an Alfa.

Advertisement