Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Broadband

Options
  • 03-02-2008 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else have the vodafone 3g broadband? Is it reliable? I just got today. I couldn't actually get it working all day. I rang vodafone and still no good. I keep getting "wireless device does not exist or unavailable" message. How do i get past this message?
    I got it workin for about 5 minutes fine after a bit of messing around and now i can only get it working by going into start and then "connect to" and picking the vodafone modem option. Is this how i was meant to get the internet working or am i meant to use the connect button on the vodafone program, which i can't do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Sorry to hear that. You can try different usb port on your laptop/PC.

Mine started to p*** me off after the 14 days trial, i wonder why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Yes that was it. The USB. Whenever i had it directly pluged into the usb in the computer, i got that message and it works fine when i stick it into a portable usb device and then that into the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Clareman08

Have Vodafone here in West Clare for 3 weeks now and so far it's working very well 99% of the time. The 1% is when 3G drops back to slow 2G now and again. It's a lifesaver here as otherwise this part of celtic tigerland is a broadband wasteland. With the modem plugged into the computer on the supplied short lead I generally get 3 out of 5 bars, but I find it works faster when I hang it from a shelf overhead using a USB extension lead. This brings the signal up to 4 bars, which gives reliable 3G+ operation most of the time.

It worked OK from Day 1 on a Dell laptop, but I had major hassle getting my Dell desktop to recognise the modem. Had to get onto Vodafone Data Support to get it to work. This involved disabling a lot of programs including McAfee AntiVirus, Windows Defender, etc. By restoring programs one at a time over the following days, I found that the culprit was Norton Save & Restore 2.0 - had to remove this completely. In addition, Autoplay does not work on this particular computer, so I have to locate and start Vodafone Mobile Connect manually via My Computer every time (not really a problem as I know what to do by now).

I'd be very interested to hear of the experiences of other users. Hope the service doesn't deteriorate as more people sign up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

mid Donegal here and can only get GPRS with this modem.

used it since Dec20 and performance similar to dial up until tonight when it stopped for 4hours..hoping this is a temporary glitch as the contract is for 12 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

emmemm wrote: »
    mid Donegal here and can only get GPRS with this modem.

used it since Dec20 and performance similar to dial up until tonight when it stopped for 4hours..hoping this is a temporary glitch as the contract is for 12 months!
    Had problems with mine tonight two it was down all evening. i have it about two month's and thats the first problem ive had with it. My speed is around 1mb most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Clareman08

Must have been a general breakdown as I had the same problem yesterday here in West Clare. Working OK again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I can get the light blue light reception working if I put the modem near to the NTL aerial...Yesterday it kept disconnecting though, every ten or fifteen minutes..

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Have been with Vodafone for the last 3 weeks...and tonight I'm dancing, but more on that later...

Tried '3' - horrifically inconsistent, and drove me back to dial-up too many times during the 14 day trial...

Tried O2 - non-existent in my area - went back after only 3 days.

In my area Vodafone (very honestly) told me I wouldn't get a 3G signal (which is probably why I had some much trouble with 3 & O2) but I have a very stable GPRS connection. Not broadband, but faster than my previous dial-up, so was happy enough with that.

Last night was the first time it pi**ed me off, wouldn't receive data, and was a total write-off.

Tonight....whole different story...turned on pc afer work, and got a BLUE flashing light...First time EVER! Woo Hoo! Blue light means 3G signal, as opposed to green light for GPRS.
    Connected at 3.6MB...and its absolutely flying. Don't know if its a one-off and lucky atmospherics, or whether last night's problem was due to them doing somewthing to my local antenna/mast....but last night's behaviour has been totally forgiven...and I'm enjoying proper 3G connection....which is utterly luvverrly!!

Happy to stick to Vodafone, because I know I'll always get the GPRS option, if the signal isn't strong enough for 3G....which isn't offered by 3 or O2....with them its 3G or nothing, and in my area that inevitably meant nothing.

So....happy to stand up and be counted as a happy Vodafone 3G/GPRS Broadband Modem Customer.

Works out cheaper than my old dial-up account too! So even if I go back to everyday GPRS, its still a better deal than my old internet service provider!

Advertisement