Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookie Shops

Options
  • 04-02-2008 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

I wonder has anyone experienced the same feeling as I have, that Bookies shops even with their modernised furniture and systems technology etc, are still inhabited by losers and sad individuals. I love an occasional bet and prefer to bet "directly" than on the internet but every time i go to a bookies shop i see and hear these clowns nattering bout this bet and that bet and it's even a bit intmidating when you go to the counter to place a bet because there is always some local low life pushing his betting slip in before me. May I also add that the smoking ban has at least helped a bit, but I must admit the overwhelming smell of BO in these places is foul. This is why internet gambling is sooo big lately. Can't stand the places anymore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭paulizei

I have never been in a bookies for those very reasons. Plus the quality of info and tips and live streaming of events on the internet makes using the places totally unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Must say its nearly all internet gambling for me these days. You don't have much price options if you're sitting in one bookies!
    Have to admit though, on a very seldom occasion I do spend an hour or two in a bookies and enjoy the bit of banter and a few small bets on the horses.
    Each to their own.

Although it does always amaze me at the stupidity of some of the people in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I don't mind all the scum hanging around banging on about tips etc but when some knacker shoves his bet in infront of me at the cashier it drives me mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

paulizei wrote: »
    I have never been in a bookies for those very reasons. Plus the quality of info and tips and live streaming of events on the internet makes using the places totally unnecessary.

Yes, my sentiments entirely. Maybe its an irish thing, but i feel a bit embarrassed walking out of one of these places in case someone I know sees me, but thats probably my issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Jaysus lads where has all the love gone ? I think your being a bit harsh on the shops & some of their clientel.

Not sure where u guys live but I have a choice of a number of shops & have to say that they are worlds apart from that described by brousuka.

Personally speaking I do most of my betting on line but you cant beat the odd cash transaction. I find it a little more satisfying walking away with a few quid in the hand every know & then.

And remember, there but for the grace of God go us. Be careful or there could be some bad gambling karma heading your way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭paulizei

WH BONNEY wrote: »

And remember, there but for the grace of God go us. Be careful or there could be some bad gambling karma heading your way.
    Very good point to be fair.

Advertisement