Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB in Maynooth for student

Options
  • 04-02-2008 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Studying in Maynooth and living in digs (enough said) but I am in need of sorting out proper broadband for my laptop.

Colege is always a good 15-20 min walk, and it's become a nuisance goign back and forth. Landlady has said she cannot hook me up to her broadband (she says she does not know password to wireless router) so I want to sort out a wireless provider for my laptop.

So far, o2 and clearwire seem reliable. I have not yet checked Vodafone, but as I only work part-time I'm not quite sure would anyone take me on for a contract with regards to getting a credit check, as Vodafone once declined me for when I lived at home. I'm also paying a student loan back on my bank account, so will this affect me whatsoever?

Any advice would be grately appreciated.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 doodlbug18

I suggest you have another go at persuading the landlady to get access to her Broadband wireless router. If there is already wired broadband in the house, this is likely to be far faster and far more reliable than anything you can get from the mobile/wireless operators. If you check the Boards, most people will tell you that mobile "Broadband" should really only be used as a last resort when you are on the move....and the performance is getting worse every day as more people sign up to it. Of course, there are lucky exceptions, but it's like winning the lottery.

Getting the Wireless security key is very easy on most wireless routers. If you check the router settings on an existing PC that has access to the router. For example, if your Landlady is using eircom Broadband, you can get the settings in the Netopia Router by browsing this IP address 192.168.1.254 and clicking on Wireless on the menu. Other makes of router are similar.

Why not offer to pay your landlady €10 a month for access? She is probably paying €15-€20 a month if she is using eircom, so you would be paying more than half of her costs, while still paying less than half of a basic mobile Broadband subscription...before you get crippled with download charges. Even if you paid her full Broadband costs you would probably still be paying less than mobile...and you would have a decent service.

...try getting a bunch of flowers and asking the landlady nicely!...

Advertisement