Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extensions?

Options
  • 04-02-2008 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi

I want to put a new graphics card into my friends machine, but the only spare power lead in the pc (dell e521) stops well short of the graphics card..

Is it possible to buy some sort of extension?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

What graphics card and what kind of cable do you need?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Yes it is just buy this.
    PCI Express 6 Pin Graphics Card Power Cable
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=317468

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think I have one of those lying around going to waste. I'll have a look later. You're welcome to it if I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

thanks very much for replies..

problem is, for some graphics cards you need the 4 pin adapter, in his computer it will not reach down to the graphics card.. (if I buy him a graphics card that requires power, because right now I have to buy him a card that doesnt draw power from a cable, which is limiting choice a lot)..

I might try and see if my 7900 GS fits, because I have a PCI to molex which will act as an extension.. but it physically doesn't look long enough..

The PC is the dell dimension e521 the one with 1gb ddr2 533mhz, athlon 3800 single core proc and OEM ati x1300pro 256mb. The card is just too slow for most games, I think a 7600 GT would suffice. I would just like to have more choice in graphics cards..

Advertisement