Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying my first car

Options
  • 04-02-2008 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

I have about 1500 euro to spend, what would you recommend for a first car with a fella learning off? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

polo or fiesta. then again you could just be a jammy fukcer like me and drive ur girlfriends 323f to start then get a 1.4 fiat brava as your first car then buy a bmw after 4 months and get rode for insurance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

1 litre starlet, boom job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I second the Starlet,

Other options Micra, Polo, Fiesta.

Stay clear of FIAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

I'd go for the Polo or Fiesta.

My advice is to go for a 1.2 engine. After about a month you'll quickly regret buying a 1.0 The difference in insurance wouldn't be that big (if at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I'd also recommend the Polo or Fiesta. Although the Micra wouldn't be a bad choice either but in my mind is not near as nice to drive if you have to go any sort of long distances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I would recommend a 1.2 Clio. Thats what I learned in and its a really good car. Worth checking out at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Clio is a girls car!!!(joking) Seriously look at the Suzuki Swift - cheap as chips and solid as a rock. Starlets are bullet proof too, keep to the jap cars as they have good clutches, engines overall reliability etc. very learner friendly.!! happy hunting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Clio is a girls car!!!(joking) Seriously look at the Suzuki Swift - cheap as chips and solid as a rock.
    surely you meant "Solid as a Coke can" ??

reliable though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    surely you meant "Solid as a Coke can" ??

reliable though.

Lol, the engines are a1, a lot of questions about the safety of the actual structure!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Seat Ibiza is a thinking man's Polo LOL, cheaper, better looking and slightly bigger. Watch out for clutch as they are a known fault.

• Advertisement

aye... forgot about the ibiza, the clutch is well known for its "less than adequate" reliability!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Thanks for all the replies so far lads. Someone mentioned something about insurance, how much should that cost a fella starting off who's about 19? I know it depends on certain things but roughly what would it be.

When i was 20 starting off with NO no claims discount, i was quoted €2000 based on a 1.4, located in the North East of the country, since i was in college in the South East, (Waterford) using this address, on d same car it was €1500. with the same insurance company HIB...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

i to am getting my first car to. im 21 have a provisional licence waiting to do full. Polo or peugeout 206 wat ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dean820 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies so far lads. Someone mentioned something about insurance, how much should that cost a fella starting off who's about 19? I know it depends on certain things but roughly what would it be.

Go to the various different insurance companies' websites - most of them do online quotes so you can get exact prices for your situation.

I reckon you can't go wrong with a fully maintained 206. A lot of them are learner cars be weary of a worn clutch or a high miler!

Considering getting a fiat stilo very nice car from previous owner did it up alloys etc..anyone have any exp with this car

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stay clear of FIAT

Elaborate. With first hand experience, please; not stuff you heard on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Celtic07 wrote: »
    Considering getting a fiat stilo very nice car from previous owner did it up alloys etc..anyone have any exp with this car

Year and engine? 02-early 04 Stilo's are relatively poor, 04+ are grand. Late 04 models came with a Euro NCAP 4 star sticker on the back window (earlier models were 3 star, they re-did it after a major internal redesign)

The 1.2 16V, while it doesn't have the head gasket issues of the standard 1.2 8v Fiat engine, is far too slow for that size of car. The bigger petrols and the diesel are fine.

MYOB wrote: »
    Year and engine? 02-early 04 Stilo's are relatively poor, 04+ are grand. Late 04 models came with a Euro NCAP 4 star sticker on the back window (earlier models were 3 star, they re-did it after a major internal redesign)

The 1.2 16V, while it doesn't have the head gasket issues of the standard 1.2 8v Fiat engine, is far too slow for that size of car. The bigger petrols and the diesel are fine.

02 1.2 16v do you have personal experience with this type of car because more than likely will purchase

• Advertisement

The 1.2 shared it's engine and gearbox with the 00-on Punto Sporting, can be prone to gearbox trouble. get a warranty. 2nd gear syncromesh in my Sporting went after 4 months. watch out for grinding when changing gears driving hard.

The 1.2 shared engine and gearbox with the 00-on Punto Sporting, can be prone to gearbox trouble. get a warranty.

would you like them yourself personally?

I nearly bought a 1.6 3dr with skyroof when they first came out.
    took a 1.6 3dr for a drive, Actually thought it was a 1.2 as it wasn't nearly as quick as I was expecting. that put me off. Drove the 1.2 years later and found it easily as nippy as a 1.4 Golf or Focus. 6 gears help.

Was impressed with the interior, as the first run of them came very highly specced, they pulled the spec back later on in the models life. I remember air conditioned glovebox loads of airbags, remote stereo, and traction control being on the model I drove, this was back when remote locking was considered posh by the competition!

I nearly bought a 1.6 3dr with skyroof when they first came out.
    took a 1.6 3dr for a drive, Actually thought it was a 1.2 as it wasn't nearly as quick as I was expecting. that put me off. Drove the 1.2 years later and found it easily as nippy as a 1.4 Golf or Focus. 6 gears help.

Was impressed with the interior, as the first run of them came very highly specced, they pulled the spec back later on in the models life. I remember air conditioned glovebox loads of airbags, remote stereo, and traction control being on the model I drove, this was back when remote locking was considered posh by the competition!

you know your cars man:D..yeah buying it monday 4200..1.216v..sporty red..alloys..grand first car

Advertisement