Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating by night

Options
  • 04-02-2008 8:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what most people do with their heating by night... I have noticed that a lot of people don't have it on during the night and was wondering if this is the norm - personally I have to have it on for a while during the night - but then again, perhaps I just have a cold house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

We turn it off going to bed and it comes on at about 7 in the morning automatically.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

mine comes on at 6pm and goes off at 9pm, might stick it on for extra hour, if its cold

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mine goes off at 23:00 and comes on at 08:00. I have been told by people to leave it on all night as it is harder to heat up the house when it has been turned off, just turn the thermostat down, any opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

mine comes on at 06:30 and goes off @ 09:00.
    Then i might put it on for an hour at 17:00 if its really cold it might go on for another hour at 20:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Get a good duvet (13.5 TOG) you will not need or want the heating on during the night even in the depths of winter.

Ours usually goes off an hour before we go to bed, and this is a 40 year old house with not great insulation.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Mine goes off around 11.00pm. My wife puts it on again around lunchtime next day - the house holds the heat pretty well until then.

Leaving the heating on at night makes no sense in our climate unless you've money to burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

I find that the temperature really drops during the night and while we (adults) are under the duvet, it is different for babies so need the heat on for 30 mins or so during the night.

Also, night-time feeds can be chilly without the heating on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

I personally believe that heating a house at night is a waste of energy (assuming it is of modern construction, draft free, with some level of thermal insulation). In fact I sleep better if there is a good temperature difference between the bed and the room.

Its obviously different if you have to do night feeds with young kids. My first born was a 'winter baby'. Used to keep his ar5e warm with a hair dryer while we changed him (typical over compensation with the first kid).

I remember staying in a hotel one night. Could not get to sleep, so bad that I was going to go out and sleep in the car. When I stepped out of the bed (in my bare feet) I only then discovered under floor heating. Great for an ensuite, but not for a bedroom. Most people who stay in hotels complain that the room is too hot, rarely the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

youtheman wrote: »
    My first born was a 'winter baby'. Used to keep his ar5e warm with a hair dryer while we changed him (typical over compensation with the first kid).

Brilliant... very funny!!!

Advertisement