Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread of Commiserations and Congratulations

Options
  • 04-02-2008 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Here's mine:

Design of Experiments: D-
    Actuarial Statistics I: D+
    Statistical Inference I: B+
    Linear Models I: A
    Survey Sampling: A+
    Biostatistics: A+
    Probability Distributions: A+

GPA: 3.51

Post Yours!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 theleprechaun

GPA 3.95 and delighted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Results are a little weird... I got an A in the subject I hated the most (Physics for Engineers), the one that I thought I would have trouble passing... bell curve? Maybe it was the course, after all, and not just me.

In detailed results, I see I got 67% for the exam (weight 0.4), though I did only 3 of the 4 questions... and the same for continuous assesment (0.3)... but got 94% on the lab work that made up the other 30%. That I did not expect - I didn't finish some labs, from being too slow and repeating steps - but I guess I was marked on what I actually did. Result. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Data Structures & Algorithms I D+ (high rate of failure in this, and I'm sh*t at programming..... dunno how I passed, but thank the FSM!)

Web Multimedia: An Overview A+ (expected a good grade in this... I suspect that quite alot of people got A's)

Databases and Info. Systems I C+ (I only understood about 50% of this course, so thrilled with this result)

Renaissance to Enlightenment E :( (hated this course and it was terribly co-ordinated, so was expecting to fail outright... happy to have the possible compensation! I bet if I did that essay I woulda passed :p)

West & Middle East 1919-73 C+ (liked this course, kinda woulda liked a B, but oh well!)

Northern Ireland B- (pretty happy! This exam was at 12pm the day after my brother's wedding, so I got about 2.5 hours sleep and was still sorta drunk for it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Individuals & the State: B+
    Comparative Politics: A-
    Northern Ireland: B
    Renaissance to Enlightenment: C+ (I thought I'd done better in this exam, I think a C- essay dragged me down a bit)
    Rationalism & Empiricism: C
    US History: B

Got a GPA of 3.33, which I'm a bit disappointed with. With the amount of study I did I hoped to get closer to a 1.1. I would've been happy with 3.45 or above. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

GPA 3.3

1 A, 3 B, 1 D

Bastards in history department gave me a D in a 1st year elective. What the hell?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

wahey, i got 4 Bs, 2 Cs. SO HAPPY I COULD CRY!!
    bar anyone? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

A+
    A+
    A-
    B+
    B+
    B
    = GPA 3.8

i'm absolutely ****ing ecstatic! \o/

i worked out on my calculator that barring a catastrophe of epic proportions i'm guaranteed 2.1 degree as long as i show up for the final lot of exams in May so that means postgraduate study here i come! i also think i need a semester 2 GPA of 3.51 to get a first class honours, f**k it's going to be close

anyway congrats to everyone and anyone who is a disappointed or generally did sh!t it's not the end of the world, there is still another semester to put things right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

For someone who is still in semi-modularised purgatory, could someone please explain to me what grades equal what % ranges?

Being told GPA's and grades mean nothing to me and merely confuse my senile mind.

//oldschool lol

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

www.ucd.ie/registry/alu/documents/Modular_Grades_Explained.pdf

It's not totally clear, but it's a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Ah perfect, thanks.

So a 2.2 so far from two exams, six more written exams, a thesis submission, a thesis presentation and an mcq and i'll know more!.

• Advertisement

I've just looked at the breakdown within each of my modules (click the blue numbers on the left). Homework in one of them is worth .15 and I got 40% on it but it's down as 5%. I've still got the homework, with the grades written on the fronts, so I'll be bringing them in later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

can someone please post guide to converting results into percentages (wont load from SIS for me) and these letters mean nothing to me without the percentages.

Cheers

Click on the "CRN" numbers to the left of your modules and it will tell you what percent you got in your homework and what percent you got in your exam.

percent x weight + percent x weight = percent for that module

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Middle Ages I A-
    Eighteenth-Century Literature B
    Renaissance to Enlightenment C
    China, Japan and Korea 1549-19 B+
    West & Middle East 1919-73 C+
    Japanese L & C (ab initio) B-

GPA: 3.3

Fairly happy with those results. All my hard modules were in this semester tbh, so I will be looking to bump the GPA up next semester. Thought I had got a grade higher in West and Middle East and Asian histories, but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

this attachment can be used to figure out whether you got a 1st, 2.1 or 2.2 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Middle Ages I B-
    Eighteenth-Century Literature C+
    Foundations of Western Thought A-

And have passed my three repeats. Happy happy fun time. Allez le swing ball!

I've been reading some of the pdfs here
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/alu/exam_results.htm
    and I now see that every module where you get over 76.67% counts the same towards your GPA (as a 4.2). I have an 82.45, an 89.9 and a 93.9 which bring my average over 70% (a First) but they're all counted as 4.2 which means my GPA is 3.51. I haven't found what that equates to yet but it's not a First. In conclusion,
    Boo Modularisation! We're being robbed.

Edit: I see it equates to a 2.1

Edit2: I put it more clearly on the next page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

COMP10010 Introduction to Programming I A+
    MAPH20080 Analytical & Quantum Mechanics B-
    MAPH20150 Vector Calculus B-
    MATH20030 Linear Models in the Sciences A+
    PHYC20010 Electromagnetism and Optics C
    PHYC20020 Introductory Quantum Mechanics B

Overall GPA: 3.5

Quite satisfied with that, especially since the A+ subjests are the ones I didn;t go to lectuers in since they were stupid and/or easy. I also got ridiculously high markes in COMP10010, 97% for assignments and 100% for the exam. \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

tribulus wrote: »
    For someone who is still in semi-modularised purgatory, could someone please explain to me what grades equal what % ranges?

Being told GPA's and grades mean nothing to me and merely confuse my senile mind.

//oldschool lol

If you click on the CRN code seom of them give you a break down of your marks in percentages....

Old school is great but so suckie that it's all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Iwanna

Yo Stardust, where did you get that from, because it would move me from happy to very happy as I got 3.17 , which on the document is a 2.1, rather than what I perceived to be a 2.2.

• Advertisement

i got it off another ucd thread on how to calculate your gpa into a degree classification. i think its legitimate.. because anything above 3.08 is a 2.1 as far as i know. what did you think was classed as a 2.1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Slippers wrote: »
    I've been reading some of the pdfs here
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/alu/exam_results.htm
    and I now see that every module where you get over 76.67% counts the same towards your GPA (as a 4.2). I have an 82.45, an 89.9 and a 93.9 which bring my average over 70% (a First) but they're all counted as 4.2 which means my GPA is 3.51. I haven't found what that equates to yet but it's not a First. In conclusion,
    Boo Modularisation! We're being robbed.

Edit: I see it equates to a 2.1

That is thoroughly confusing. How does your GPA go down if you have 4 subjects counted as 4.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Absolutely delighted with my results!!:

COMP10010: Introduction To Programming 1: A+
    Practicals: 99% (40%)
    Final Exam: 100% (60%)

COMP10030: Algrorithmic Problem Solving: A+
    Assignment 1: 100% (20%)
    Assignment 2: 90% (20%)
    Assignment 3: 100% (20%)
    Final Exam: 87% (40%)

PSY10050: Introduction To Psychology: A-
    Essay: A (40%)
    Final Exam: B+ (60%)

LING10010: Language Use & Communication: B-
    Essay: C (50%)
    Final Exam: B (50%)

GER10030: German Textual Analysis: B
    Essay: A- (30%)
    Final Exam: B- (70%)

GER10010: German Language 1A: D
    Grammar & Free Writing: C+ (30%)
    Oral Presentation: E+ (20%)
    Final Exam: D- (50%)

Semester One GPA: 3.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Iwanna

Stardust,
    Just went by that in another document (sorry, in college, can't immediately give reference), that state b- = 3.2 gpa. So I was assuming that b- was as low as a 2.1 would go, but that is the only thing I go by to be honest, I phoned, plus just this moment spoke to the programme office, and basically they said they were not sure, but if I sent a formal letter they would look into it.....

Ok well im nearly positive a 2.1 is gpa of 3.08. 90% sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MarkOShea

Yeah I always presumed 3.8 was a first.

Got A+, A+, A, B+, B, B- for 3.77 meself.

Happier now!

The whole thing makes no sense, I got the percentage marks in my two exams, got 65 in each.

One was marked as a B, the other a B-.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MarkOShea

Think they should both be B's. I got 1 module 65% aswell and got a B for it anyway. 64-66.9% should be the range.

Cool - our results will be converted back to percentages anyway at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Foundations of Computing - B+

Program Construction I - A+

Object-Oriented Programming - A+

Advanced Quan Economics - A

Advanced Microeconomics - A+

Applied Econometrics I - B-

Which gives a GPA of 3.9! :D

Absolutely shocked at the Quants result, was not expecting anything near an A. Little disappointed with the Econometrics, but one of our assignment grades is wrong so we'll have to talk about that. Also extremely happy with the Foundations of Computing result, found that course fairly interesting, but got bogged down in the heavy maths.

Overall, I'm ecstatic :D

Congrats to the rest of you!

Advertisement