Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ftp in work?

• 04-02-2008 10:37am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I work for a large multinational. Compared to most they are pretty relaxed with their computer usage policy, no sites are blocked or anything. However I am unable to connect to my website using ftp. If I install CuteFTP when it tests the connection, it just says "Conencting" for ages, it should only take a second... It then says "The Host Validation Failed".

I assume this is blocked from a network level. I'm wondering if anyone knows some special way to get around this? Proxy or something?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You could try sftp ( http://winscp.net/eng/download.php if you have windows) , more secure anyway , ftp sends your username/passwd in cleartext.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Zascar wrote: »
    I work for a large multinational. Compared to most they are pretty relaxed with their computer usage policy, no sites are blocked or anything. However I am unable to connect to my website using ftp. If I install CuteFTP when it tests the connection, it just says "Conencting" for ages, it should only take a second... It then says "The Host Validation Failed".

I assume this is blocked from a network level. I'm wondering if anyone knows some special way to get around this? Proxy or something?
    Thanks

Even though you might have relaxed access to websites using port 80, chances are that your firewall blocks traffic out of port 21 (FTP). This is a common security practice among multinationals to be honest.

Can you not connect to your own website using your browser?. Have you not got some sort of http based control panel?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes but there is a limit of 5mb on uploading and I want to upload some big files...

Do any programs not use a different port than 21?

Yes but there is a limit of 5mb on uploading and I want to upload some big files...

Do any programs not use a different port than 80?

Well the first thing I will say is that if you start uploading big files on
    your companies network, the admins will probably cop it and shoot ya...

There is a thing called Webdav which you can use, it uses port 80 and should be built into Dreamweaver if your have that....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, tried that but it would not work, said somehting about read only access and contact network admin. Perhaps they have locked it down so its impossible :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

There are ways around this. But they woul dget you fired if caught.

Thanks, tried that but it would not work, said somehting about read only access and contact network admin. Perhaps they have locked it down so its impossible :-(

Thats cause you have to set the permissions on the folder on your webserver yourself?. Create a folder on the server and give it write permissions?.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement