Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1st Car...Alfa 147?

Options
  • 04-02-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Anyone any opinions on the matter. I heard a couple of bad things about them. I'm looking at about an 01 car.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

everyone duck for cover...another alfa thread

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

One of the best looking cars in its class, imo. Supposed to be a hoot to drive as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Ok, thats good. Just the reliability I'm concerned about. I love the look. And hear it is nice to drive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Yes, if:

The car you buy has a full history and has been cared for
    &
    You are able & willing to properly monitor & maintain the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

cabla wrote: »
    Ok, thats good. Just the reliability I'm concerned about. I love the look. And hear it is nice to drive too.

Alfas require a bit extra TLC, especially older ones and save for the explosion in 156 sales in the late '90s are usually bought by enthusiasts.

I like Alfas but if you need to ask the question I'm not sure the 147 is the car for you...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Funnily enough i'm looking at one of these for my wife and understand the history is very important along with the timing belt replacement etc. She'll be doing very little milage and doesn't really care about mpg/resale/comfortability/engine size, her one criteria however is looks hence she wants the 147.

Course I would be prepared to look out for it. What are the common problems? Timing belt? How will I monitor the car, just check it every week or so?

pburns wrote: »
    I like Alfas but if you need to ask the question I'm not sure the 147 is the car for you...

I agree, a very well maintained, 1 owner from new 156 with full service history is what he needs.....anyone know where to get one? ;)

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I agree, a very well maintained, 1 owner from new 156 with full service history is what he needs.....anyone know where to get one? ;)

Well i do know someone who can source cars. And any problems he will fix. Like as part of the deal. So I will probably just go to him. I was just wondering was it worth my while going for the car.

Also, as I am a poor student, is this car somewhat economical?

I average 29mpg in mine, I imagine the 147 would be better

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I average 29mpg in mine, I imagine the 147 would be better

Ok...wouldnt get too far would I?

cabla wrote: »
    Ok...wouldnt get too far would I?

depends where you are going

yes...that is true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I was considering a 147 for my first car too but the alfa resale value put me right off. Its something that you must consider when buying one.
    My uncle had 2 156's and never had a problem with either of them.

Thats good then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

A great car-but then I'm biased!

Things to look out for:

- timing belt and variator should be replaced on any 147 that has done 36k miles (and again at 72k miles). If you are looking at a car that has just less than 36k miles, factor this job into the price (mine has it done when I bought it, so I'm not sure on the exact price, but allow for €500 anyway).
    - electrics and toys-make sure they work-climate control, cruise control, stereo' lights etc.-check all carefully.
    - check the oil regularly-the 147 can burn a lot of oil and allowing it to run low is not a great idea (Btw-the recommended oil is semi-synthetic).

There are plenty out there that include the folowing-10 CD changer, alloys, climate control (better than air conditioning), steering mounted stereo controls, cruise control, at no premium over those that don't have the same. So make sure and get as much as you can for your money.

I have had a 147 for 2 and a half years (I am now getting a GT) and aside from (a) running out of petrol once, and (b) driving me mad when I had to change a light bulb, I have had absolutely no trouble with same and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it-fuel consumption for me is around 400 miles to a 60 litre tank (combined, but mostly country roads).

If looking to get it checked/serviced, I would recommend Gerry Campbell (Ti Autos) in Stoneybatter (if you are around Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Fantastic car... Alfa looks, styling, handling and charisma. Everyone should own an Alfa at one stage of their lives.

And... this goes for everyone, no matter what car you have.

Take a photo of it! Its going to look so cool in years to come (particularly the Alfas) Your kids are going to ask you why the hell you didn't keep it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Agree with all the above except the variator. This only needs changing when it gets worn (makes a diesel rattle on startup) and even then it won't do any harm.
    Change does need to coincide with a belt change though.

Advertisement