Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flashing lights

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Someone mentioned the unwritten rules of the road. Ya i know them, the meaning of flashing lights if u inconvenience another driver and what not but they are not the actual rules of the road. And doing any of those unwritten rules might confuse other drivers.

When i was learning my driving instructor told me i should never flash someone else to beckon them on and was even told that ul fail the test.

Its not the other drivers responsibility to give way to someone. If u were to give way and had the intention of slowing down but didn't and u were to hit them, no doubt ul end up being just as ignorant and blaming them. Its not a chance i want to take. If u were to crash into someone while giving them way, would u take the responsibility? Maybe u will, i don't know but ul find someone that won't. Or would it be mine, cause i didn't turn in the time u give me? And that would be the way the court will see it to.

That driver i met on sunday was goin 60km an hour flashed his lights at me to turn. I thought i wouldn't make it and waited. He stopped when there was no need. He could have just continued on.
    I came across another driver like that another time, stopped when there wasn't a need and the following traffic overtook him on his left while he was waiting for me to turn.

Its not anyone's elses call to make but the driver. And its a chance im not goin to take and get fairly annoyed at being flashed at. Its my choice, not the flashing person.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

lisajane wrote: »
    Sitting there to turn right, traffic was still overtaking on the left. Was not holding up traffic.
    I dont know how many times ive slowed down to let an oncoming driver turn right in heavy traffic only for "her" (its always been a woman, sorry ladies) to sit there staring at me clueless-ly.

Most times it dosent click in her brain that im letting her go so I have to drive on instead. Feck her then, she can wait all day!!

As a bloody passenger in a car as a kid I understood what flashing meant.

I have seen plenty of women drivers who understand and others who are simply not paying attention. Its nothing, at least from what I can see, to do with ladies - maybe where you drive, but its not a major thing thank god!
    Someone mentioned the unwritten rules of the road. Ya i know them, the meaning of flashing lights if u inconvenience another driver and what not but they are not the actual rules of the road. And doing any of those unwritten rules might confuse other drivers. When i was learning my driving instructor told me i should never flash someone else to beckon them on and was even told that ul fail the test.

Doing your driving test is "Driving in a perfect world". You will be failed if you swerve or stop to avoid an animal - but 9/10 we wont do this in real life.
    Its not the other drivers responsibility to give way to someone. If u were to give way and had the intention of slowing down but didn't and u were to hit them, no doubt ul end up being just as ignorant and blaming them. Its not a chance i want to take. If u were to crash into someone while giving them way, would u take the responsibility? Maybe u will, i don't know but ul find someone that won't. Or would it be mine, cause i didn't turn in the time u give me? And that would be the way the court will see it to.

No its not their responsibility. There just being nice to you. Likewise, its curtius to hold the door open (of a house or shop etc) and let the lady walk in ahead. Its not required in life, but its just respectful. Its the same with driving, if its not dangerous to slow down and let the car up ahead make the turn safely - you can do it. You don't have to, but its nice to. Even more so in situations where your causing traffic back log because you simply wont move, or you simply cant get out of an estate because no car will stop to let you move.
    That driver i met on sunday was goin 60km an hour flashed his lights at me to turn. I thought i wouldn't make it and waited. He stopped when there was no need. He could have just continued on.
    I came across another driver like that another time, stopped when there wasn't a need and the following traffic overtook him on his left while he was waiting for me to turn.

If you felt it was to risky, fair enough. The driver probably understood why you didn't go, so decided to stop to let you pass - after all, he did offer the first time and you didn't feel confident enough to move. However, in your other examples there was clearly no risk at all, and the driver was just being nice.
    Its not anyone's elses call to make but the driver. And its a chance im not goin to take and get fairly annoyed at being flashed at. Its my choice, not the flashing person.

Its annoying to every one sitting behind you, if there are people. Why are you so against someone being nice? You must be horrible to everyone you come across in life, by the sounds of things..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

That driver i met on sunday was goin 60km an hour flashed his lights at me to turn. I thought i wouldn't make it and waited. He stopped when there was no need.

Unbelievable.

As suggested before, I would try and get out with someone who is a bit more experienced. They could explaine things to you in simple terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

dontfeedthetroll.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

ya im trying to be safe. if a driver has a reduced view he mightn't see me. if i continue on he might drive into me cause he didn't see me. if he didn't see me and pulled out and hit me, it would be his fault but i could have avoided it by giving him right of way. trying to avoid an accident.

Might have been distracted by the huge fluffy dice on your pink Micra, or maybe the 'Princess on Board' sticker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Might have been distracted by the huge fluffy dice on your pink Micra, or maybe the 'Princess on Board' sticker.

There probably was no body flashing her, Was just her having the interior light on doing her make-up :D

Advertisement