Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat repellant

Options
  • 04-02-2008 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

My neighbours cats think they're in heaven since I started feeding the birds and I often find them in the shrubs waiting to pounce. I've no evidence of a kill in my garden yet but the neighbous says they've come home a few times with mouthfuls of feathers lately. Is there any way I can keep them out?
    I've seen little cat repellant sticks that you push into the ground which look a bit better than some of the other gooey stuff. Would it be harmful to the birdies at all if they were to land on them or peck on them?
    I'll have to stop feeding them if I can't keep the cats out as I feel like I'm luring them to their death :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Purchase a trap and capture the cat yourself. You can then drop it off at a shelter or release it far (at least 10 miles) away from your home. Be VERY careful when dealing with a trapped feral cat as they can be VERY nasty! Please also note that releasing the cat elsewhere will not solve the problem only move it or Get a dog large enough to discourage any cats from venturing near your property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

runto da hills.. they're my nice neighbours nice cats who just do normal cat things like stalk birds. I don't think it would do our friendship much good if I rounded up and gave/ threw their cats!

Anyway.. an update... it seems the cats have been bringing home about 2 birds per week. There is also another cat who comes occasionally so I presume he brings some home too. Sadly I had noticed a decline, particularly in goldfinches:( . Given that it was probably my feeding them that brought them to the area (it took a good fortnight for them to find me) I feel awful about this. Now I wonder if it's best that I stop feeding them :confused:before they start to nest within the cats territory.
    I was so loving watching them:(
    What's the best thing to do ?

btw it's a rural estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

We had the same problem except it was the oposite, Neighbours had two nice cats but the neighbours themselves were bad, ie we never got on. Maybe feed the birds from an upper window sill, somewhere the cats cannot reach, not recommended in Dublin because it will attract another variety of bird, ie the flying rat (Pidgeon, I dont mind cats having these .:) ) Another suggestion is to fit a sensative cat bell (availible in pet shops) that will scare birds away if the cat gets close if your nice neighbours would agree to fit these.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

The best thing to do is relocate the feeder to an open area (if possible) so that the birds have a good open view of any threats.

Cats will hide anywhere they can't be seen under shrubs etc; So setting up your feeder in the middle of a lawn may be the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've heard that cats don't like citrus odours. Try throwing down some old orange/lemon/lime peels and see if it helps.

My mother swears by the 'bottle of water' trick. She puts down a bottle half filled with water and reckons it keeps the cats away. I've tried it myself, and the cats don't sit near the water, but they just sit 2 meters from it, but it could be worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

artieanna wrote: »
    The best thing to do is relocate the feeder to an open area (if possible) so that the birds have a good open view of any threats.

Cats will hide anywhere they can't be seen under shrubs etc; So setting up your feeder in the middle of a lawn may be the answer.

Done. the fecker still hides in the shrubs but at least they have a better chance of getting away.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    I've heard that cats don't like citrus odours. Try throwing down some old orange/lemon/lime peels and see if it helps.

That sort of works for abou 24 hours. He won't sit exactly where the peel is but will sit 1 ft away. So I'd need to put out peel every day everywhere!
    My mother swears by the 'bottle of water' trick. She puts down a bottle half filled with water and reckons it keeps the cats away. I've tried it myself, and the cats don't sit near the water, but they just sit 2 meters from it, but it could be worth a shot.

I haven't tried the water. That's on today's list! I put the little cat repellent sticks in the ground at his favourite stalking spot and he just sat down beside them! I sprayed some "get off" which seemed do the trick for about 24 hours but he came back and even repeated applications hasn't deterred him!
    I;ve ordered some of these http://www.deteracat.co.uk/cat_repellent_spikes.htm which i found courtesy of one of stoner's threads in Gardening & DIY. In the meantime the best I can do is keep throwing down the citrus peel and keep an eye out! Aside from the birds I don't want a handful of crAp when I start sorting out the flower beds!

Advertisement