Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland -v- Brazil

• 04-02-2008 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Brazil team;
    Julio Cesar (Internazionale),
    Renan (Internacional);
    Leonardo Moura (Flamengo),
    Rafinha (Schalke),
    Marcelo (Real Madrid),
    Breno (Bayern Munich),
    Naldo (Werder Bremen),
    Luisao (Benfica),
    Alex (Chelsea);
    Kaka (AC Milan),
    Gilberto Silva (Arsenal),
    Hernanes (Sao Paulo),
    Josue (Wolfsburg),
    Lucas (Liverpool),
    Richarlyson (Sao Paulo),
    Anderson (Manchester United),
    Thiago Neves (Fluminense),
    Julio Baptista (Real Madrid);
    Robinho (Real Madrid),
    Luis Fabiano (Sevilla),
    Rafael Sobis (Real Betis),
    Alexandre Pato (AC Milan).

Winner 68 votes

Brazil
    0% 0 votes
    Draw
    52% 36 votes
    Ireland
    32% 22 votes
    What day is it on again?
    14% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pointless money making racket by the FAI.

Why?

No European team plays like Brazil, there will be no relevent lessons learned.

Home Friendly, again. Ireland's away form is the problem, the players need to play away friendlies.

Brazil won't care a shít about it, so playing a half arsed team will mean absolutely nothing.

Ireland have no manager in place, so therefore nothing will be learned form this.

Pilfering the pockets of the Olé Olé-ers, which I supose isn't a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think something like this can be great, gives the players the opportunity to play against some fantastic players, and its always nice to watch our team against some of the best in the world (depends on the team Brazil select obviously).

However, for every 1 of these big glamour games, we need to be getting 2 or 3 away fixtures against the likes of the Ukraine, Denmark, Austria, Croatia etc. Pointless just having the glamour games and not addressing our glaring deficiencies away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's got the whole 'meh' thing going on. Does anyone really care about it? Probably not.

At this point eight people have voted.

4 say draw.

2 say Ireland win.

2 went for the meh option.

NONE say Brazil win.

Get the fúcking green specs off lads.

Ireland are a mess at the moment, if Brazil even play 25% of their potential they'll absolutely rape Irenald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I think this is a great game and a great idea.

I'm going to watch it with my 8yr old nephew who living to see the likes of kaka play.. And it's a chance for me to see these people play - what other time would I see the likes of Kaka or Baptista play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DesF wrote: »
    At this point eight people have voted.

4 say draw.

2 say Ireland win.

2 went for the meh option.

NONE say Brazil win.

Ireland are a mess at the moment, if Brazil even play 25% of their potential they'll absolutely rape Irenald.

I went for Ireland win, simply because this is not much more then a glorified training session for Brazil. Meanwhile, the Irish team have a new manager to impress (regardless who that will be, id imagine all the potentials will be watching closely) and its at home. I can see this being another "Stans Sweden" type game, where it looks like we've turned a corner and we all get excited until the competitive games start and reality sets back in.

jameshayes wrote: »

I'm going to watch it with my 8yr old nephew who living to see the likes of kaka play.. And it's a chance for me to see these people play - what other time would I see the likes of Kaka or Baptista play?

When Drogheda get into the group stages of the Champions League next season :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Hate to break this to you buddy but Kaka won't be playing. Himself and Pato pulled out of the squad due to "injuries"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

You are forgetting that its a friendly. Ireland always do well in friendlies, its the competitive games we're a mess in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can't say I'm too psyched for this... What day is it on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I figured Kaka would pull out, but Im disappointed Pato did. I've seen Kaka play, but not Pato :) Would have liked to see him play.

I'm looking forward to seeing Anderson play actually, should be fun. Also hopefully Robinho will play, never seen him,

Pighead wrote: »
    Hate to break this to you buddy but Kaka won't be playing. Himself and Pato pulled out of the squad due to "injuries"

Balls.

Just hope SAF wont stop anderson traveling because of an 'injury'

rofl, the votes just get funnier.

Delusion is alive and well on Boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Anderson will open a can of the ass whip on us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

should be an interesting game - i hope Lucas gets a run-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

rofl, the votes just get funnier.

Delusion is alive and well on Boards.ie.

Brazil's record in these joke friendlies doesn't exactly set the world alight so I don't think it's that unreasonable

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Brazil's record in these joke friendlies doesn't exactly set the world alight so I don't think it's that unreasonable
    :confused: 13 wins 3 draws and just 1 defeat in their last 17 friendlies is pretty damn good in my books. 42 goals scored and 7 conceded as well. Those stats set my world alight!

:confused: 13 wins 3 draws and just 1 defeat in their last 17 friendlies is pretty damn good in my books. 42 goals scored and 7 conceded as well. Those stats set my world alight!
    Stats can be used to prove anything, don't you know.

No Pighead, Oirland are great, ok. They'll be more than a match for Brazil. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stats can be used to prove anything, don't you know.

No Pighead, Oirland are great, ok. They'll be more than a match for Brazil. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Eh whos saying Ireland are great? Those stats are for Brazil ya big rolly eyed spanner.

Eh whos saying Ireland are great? Those stats are for Brazil ya big rolly eyed spanner.

:eek:

Eh...I know.

The votes in the poll would suggest that the majority of people think Ireland will either beat, or draw with, Brazil. The majority of people think Ireland are great.

Not me though. I know your stats were for Brazil. :confused:

You spanner.

• Advertisement

:eek:

Eh...I know.

The votes in the poll would suggest that the majority of people think Ireland will either beat, or draw with, Brazil. The majority of people think Ireland are great.

Not me though. I know your stats were for Brazil. :confused:

You spanner.
    So why did you throw the rolly eyes over in Pigheads direction?

Anyway its too late for explanations.

Post Reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

But virtually all of those matches were against teams worse than Ireland, although TBH I didn't realise the stats were that impressive. Alot of the votes are for draws because I think the general assumption is that Brazil won't be arsed but that'll still be a match for an ireland team trying to beat the best (in a couple of friendlies time when we take on Italy :))

So why did you throw the rolly eyes over in Pigheads direction?
    I didn't.

The rolleyes were for the people who think Ireland will beat Brazil.
    Anyway its too late for explanations.

Post Reported.
    You're fairly sensitive this morning Pighead.

But virtually all of those matches were against teams worse than Ireland,
    What, like Cyprus, or San Marino?

Jesus like, Ireland are shíte, have no manager and are in total disarray.

This will be a cakewalk for Brazil.

But virtually all of those matches were against teams worse than Ireland, although TBH I didn't realise the stats were that impressive. Alot of the votes are for draws because I think the general assumption is that Brazil won't be arsed but that'll still be a match for an ireland team trying to beat the best (in a couple of friendlies time when we take on Italy :))
    Hate to be a cnut but that ain't true. 8 of the 17 are ranked above Ireland and you could put very good cases for at least 3 of the rest that they are better teams than Ireland(Ghana, Ecuador Chile)

ireland will win 10-nil. Fact.

I didn't.

The rolleyes were for the people who think Ireland will beat Brazil.
    Ah gotcha, Pighead fcuked up there. Fair enough, lets be buds again and never speak of this confusing fiasco ever again.

You're fairly sensitive this morning Pighead.
    Personal abuse. Post reported.

Na, honestly (and hopfully because i'm a supporter) i think ireland will keep it tight with brazil but we might fall short on stamina / pace / formation / tactics. But our hearts are bigger - so there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

3-nil is it then. I can see the Samba Boys getting a tonking.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

i agree with the OP although i will enjoy the spectical of watching ireland against brazil this is a nothing match! like has been said ireland always do well in friendlies especially seen as they are always at home!
    no manager is also making this a bit of a farce, as there will probably be only about 3 max 4 friendly games before world cup qualifiers :rolleyes:

Lol Pighead is on fire this morning! Keep it coming

(and hopfully because i'm a supporter)
    And supporters can't be critical, or have a reality-based opinion, rather than a green-tinted Olé Olé attitude.

I get it now.

Either say Ireland will win, or get hanged for high-treason

i think ireland will keep it tight with brazil but we might fall short on stamina / pace / formation / tactics.
    And skill, and any clue.
    But our hearts are bigger - so there!
    Hearts, schmarts.

Sorry, forgot skill... Best not forget that!

Don Givens is in charge though so that favours Ireland for the win

Unearthly wrote: »
    Don Givens is in charge though so that favours Ireland for the win
    Silly me. I forgot about this.

Can I change my vote?

• Advertisement

And supporters can't be critical, or have a reality-based opinion, rather than a green-tinted Olé Olé attitude.

Can I take Celtic as a example;

Celtic -v- Milan. If every fan had of looked at stats & form they would have said - MILAN win! NO HOPE of a Celtic win. Whats the point of even going?!

Instead - the fans believed they could beat Milan, they went to the game and cheered uncontrollably.

1-1 last few minutes of the game the fans were going mad - cheering, screaming. Bang 2-1!

There is a time to be critical and a time to be a supporter. IMO you should be a supporter when things are bad. Be critical when things are good.

Afraid not

The 4 people who voted Ireland did their research and didn't vote with ignorance

Can I take Celtic as a example;

Celtic -v- Milan. If every fan had of looked at stats & form they would have said - MILAN win! NO HOPE of a Celtic win. Whats the point of even going?!

Instead - the fans believed they could beat Milan, they went to the game and cheered uncontrollably.

1-1 last few minutes of the game the fans were going mad - cheering, screaming. Bang 2-1!
    While in Croker it'll be all Mexican Waves and English accent chants. "Who aah ya. who aah ya".

Have you been to an Ireland game recently? More to the point, a friendly?

Screaming and cheering? Give me a break ffs. I was at the Holland game, the 0-4, and the atmosphere was absolutely shocking.

I was in Belfield for a FAI Cup match in 2006, UCD vs Limerick. There was a better atmosphere with twenty fans there than at any Ireland game I've been to in recent times.

LOL if you are expecting an atmosphere on Wednesday night, you will be majorly disappointed.

There is a time to be critical and a time to be a supporter. IMO you should be a supporter when things are bad. Be critical when things are good.
    Bull tbh.
    Unearthly wrote: »
    Afraid not

The 4 people who voted Ireland did their research and didn't vote with ignorance

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Pilfering the pockets of the Olé Olé-ers, which I supose isn't a bad thing.
    jameshayes wrote:

Im sorry James, DesF is level 10 at football and therefore decides whos really allowed to watch Ireland properly.

he laughs at ur pathetic attempt to enjoy a football match with ur son. do u not realise that friendly matches are serious business and that ireland need to learn lessons from friendly games? even if said friendly game involves no manager so nothing can be learned anyway but lets give the FAI some money cos apparantly they have none and isnt that the problem the league of ireland have at the minute..... no money? and doesnt DesF cough out LoI like he is some sort of creature who has a intravenous injection of LoI but is running at 18 times its normal capacity?

now for the bit about how "ppl going to national games wont make a lick of difference to the funds of the LoI teams". yeah fair enough... but I would like to see some money going into Irish football rather then the minimal amount that is gained by our team and 2,000 fans travelling to Kiev for 3 days. and also it might be nice for ppl like James and his son go to see Robinho & co. play on irish soil right in front of their eyes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I voted 'Trapattoni'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Tickets for this game were available on ticketmaster.ie over the past week.
    I thought they were supposed to be part of a 2 games package with Serbia?
    If they can't sell with that, what the hell is the demand for the Serbia game going to be like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wow, its amazing that it went to ticketmaster.

Personally I took the tickets cause I believe in Ireland future, and don't want to lose my place on the list after waiting years to get in :/ I know the only mechanism I have to change is taking away my money, but im hopeful that change will happen anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

We will be very lucky to get away with just a hiding tbh. A Rugby type score is very possible for Brazil. Too many factors against us atm that no other team could cope with without taking it to the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It's a money racket scheme indeed, ah well. Either way my ticket only costed me 7 quid :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Yay, can't wait got tickets to this. Can't wait to see all these superstars of the beautiful game, Paul McShane, John Douglas, Wayne Henderson.... Can't wait.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Just wondering - will there be a minutes silence for the Munich Crash and in particular Liam Whelan before the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sprinkles wrote: »
    Just wondering - will there be a minutes silence for the Munich Crash and in particular Liam Whelan before the match?
    Dunno possibly, but I do know the English are to have one before their game and I'm sure it will, as always, be impeccably respected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

PHB wrote: »
    I figured Kaka would pull out, but Im disappointed Pato did. I've seen Kaka play, but not Pato :) Would have liked to see him play.

I'm looking forward to seeing Anderson play actually, should be fun. Also hopefully Robinho will play, never seen him,

I am completely shocked by these statements,
    dnon't you comment on this board the whole time, and yet you don't watch italian or spanish soccer????

Do you just like man united and not soccer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement