Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland -v- Brazil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Lol. Disorganised mess. Damn Ticketmaster.

It was alright when I was there, only took about 30 seconds to get the tickets. It was getting there and back that was the annoying part, but I only ordered the tickets on Saturday so can't really complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

All I kept hearing was could anyone with the surname a,b,c,d, or o go to the lobby....funny stuff, don't know why.

30 seconds...efficent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This match on any of Irelands terrestial channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Thread bumped up in case anyone mixes the other thread up with the match thread. I refuse to read it. The amount of people anti our national team in this country really bloody annoys me.

Co-sign eirebhoy. I decided to give the tickets that I got to my dad and sister. Me and the mother shall watch it on the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

is the team named yet??

Teams:
    http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7879/brzb6.jpg

I love this quote from McGeady about the critisism he got after Bratislava and Prague:

"To be honest, I didn't really pay attention because I knew I'd played a stinker"

Looks like a balanced match, they look a lot better than us in the middle though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Fabiano is real quality... Itll be nice to see him get recognition from fans outside of La Liga.

I thought he would fail to live up to what he showed in Copa America 2003....I was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Did I just hear Jason McAteer say Staunton did a great job as manager? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Did I just hear Jason McAteer say Staunton did a great job as manager? :eek:

Something about bringing the players through :confused:

yet again today i'm baffled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

They wouldnt say a bad thing about Stevie.

I hope to god the FAI dont pay any attention to what current and former players say about Venables. He'd get a 20yr contract if they had to appoint someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Lee Carsley in midfield? oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

COME ON IRELAND!!

oireland cha cha cha
    oireland cha cha cha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Looks like they've never watched Kilbane down in Sao Paulo, tap and go son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Nice advertising by Paddy Power on the revolving boards! I wonder if that was done on purpose!! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I really liked the caption the Guradian had on their coverage earlier.

A picture of Stan on the touchline saying "Exactly how hard is it to replace this man?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Conor-Mr2 wrote: »
    Nice advertising by Paddy Power on the revolving boards! I wonder if that was done on purpose!! LOL

They had the same ads running during the rugby at the weekend, I wasn't sure if it was intentional then but I am guessing it is now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

The ball Keane tried to play through to Duff just there was the most exciting thing we've done so far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ireland games are just so ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Containing them well tho, still has 0-0 written all over it.
    /cue celebrations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Pretty bad stuff so far and not just by Ireland either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Stekelly wrote: »
    Ireland games are just so ****.

Agreed. I never even bothered to look a match ticket. Have Sky sports and couldn't be bothered my a$$ to watch the game.

At last some useful play. Let off for Brazil.

• Advertisement

HAHA!!! Zinedine Kilbane you wing wizard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

darkman2 wrote: »
    Pretty bad stuff so far and not just by Ireland either.

We drag otherwise good teams down to our level like this all the time, it was to be expected.

I think the idea of us hosting a Brazil - Argentina game should really be looked into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Who is the blonde player on the wing for Ireland with the dribbling skills? He reminds me of a player I saw once......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

****e.

Just when Ireland were starting to play.........

Great finish Robinho

so Duff looked better, Hunt looked worse. McGeady is all work and no finesse and Keane is still crap in an Ireland shirt (how many needless offsides :mad:).

Oh and Givens is a crap manager.

Ho hum.

In fairness not bad toward the end from Ireland. Credible performance but an awful lot for the new manager to think about.

Oh and Givens is a crap manager.

Ho hum.

:D There goes his 5 year contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Cant comment on much of the first half, the online stream was awful so I havent a clue til I see the highlights. The quality of the stream improved in pt 2.

McGeady had a shockingly bad corner, then respectably attempted a Maradona in 86 like run at the goal :confused: Shay played a stormer from what I gathered, crafty nutmeg by Robinho he couldnt have foreseen (the 2nd half stream was ok, not brilliant, I have to see the highlights for a proper view tbh)

Had to lol at an IM I received during it from a mate, his bird is at the match, her oul man brought her and the brother

"she said the atmosphere is deadly, doin the Mexican Wave and all that"

I read that and thought of a few heads on this board :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DesF, calling DesF!

Mike.

shane86 wrote: »

I read that and thought of a few heads on this board :D

Thats it Shane youve gone and done it. The anti-Olérs will be saying 'told ya so' :p

mike65 wrote: »
    DesF, calling DesF!

Mike.

Great minds and all that Mike :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

McGeady just doesn't cut it.

Givens out :)

Givens out :)

I dunno, he's like a whiter, more forward minded Terry Phelan.

"Put the head down and run"

Brazil deserved it. Not enough aggression from the Irish lads. Doyle seems to be lacking in confidence. Carsley looks a liability to me.

It all looked a bit aimless. I suppose that's to be expected since we've no manager. I feel these guys have potential though and just need a figure with brains to mould them into a well-oiled unit.

Poor, poor match. Carsley is awful, what is this like set up thing he does before he passes the ball? Darren bleedin' Potter!!! Liam Miller?

Doyle has lost it, he is terrible with the ball at his feet, which is down to a lack of confidence.

I thought McGeady was pretty damn good, Duff was a positive, Kelly was decent, and Kilbane perhaps could be our regular left back.

shane86 wrote: »
    McGeady had a shockingly bad corner, then respectably attempted a Maradona in 86 like run at the goal :confused:
    McGeady is all work and no finesse
    What in the name of Chirst am I reading here? Again I have to mention the bias thing, I try to be realistic, but are you guys for real??? He was fantastic tonight. The word fantastic has to be taken in the relative context of course. I could call Kaka fantastic or my mate playing Sunday league fantastic. The standards I judge McGeady by though are Celtic standards which at this moment in time is about level with Ireland. If a very good McGeady performance is good enough for Celtic it's good enough for Ireland imo. Anyway...

Given - As usual his kicking was poor but he pulled off a fantastic save to keep it at 0-0. Other than that didn't have much to do.

Kelly - I thought he did well other than the unnecessary hard challenge. He wouldn't be used to playing a team like Brazil where the player he's mainly marking is also the full back. Looked confident on the ball.
    Dunne - Very dominant. Can't remember Fabiano being involved much at all. Won whatever there was to be won in the air and showed his excellent pace when chasing Andersen back from the Brazil half.
    O'Shea - I was impressed with this guy who I've given so much stick that it's hard to give credit to. I'm actually starting to believe he's tactically intelligent and it's his poor football ability that lets him down. He was organising our players in the box at set pieces which is a good sign.
    Kilbane - It was mentioned before the match but in the first half he was literally a 3rd centre half. He left McGeady playing wing back and the Brazilian right back was having a lot of joy. You can't fault Kilbane on the ball tonight though, he was very inventive. What a run to skin 2 players and send in an excellent cross!

Carsley - Ahh. Way too defensive. He was our most involved player which really isn't a good sign. He did keep possession well, played a few good long passes and even got forward a bit. It was an above average Carsley performance but he's simply not suited to a 4 man midfield with wingers. I like him as a defensive midfielder but only in a 4-5-1. In a 4-4-2 Miller/Potter feel like they have to go deep with Carsley and it meant we had our entire team in our own half for large portions. In terms of pure effort he was man of the match but again he's not suited to a 4-4-2.
    Miller - In our top 3 players in the first half imo. It was a bit of a lucky performance in that all the bounces and 50-50's fell to him but it won't do his confidence any harm at all.
    McGeady - I'd go with him for motm (Dunne being the other contender). He beat the Brazilians with ease and rarely failed to find an Irish player with a pass. Without doubt his best performance for Ireland.
    Duff - Very poor first half. He looked like the clueless Duff we've all known recently. 2nd half was a different story though and they couldn't get the ball off him. Had a decent shot saved. He was a marked man too.

Keane - I can't really say a bad word about him. His movement was top class. His link up and work rate as good as always. Pretty much a typical Keane performance, just needs to be playing in a well organised team.
    Doyle - Not great unfortunately. He was most effective defending set pieces. Not in great form.

Potter - Kept things simple. He needs to dominate games more.
    Hunt - Certainly not a starter for me. He really showed himself up tonight as a Kilbane mark II imo with a lot more confidence. I don't like to be critical of our players but he's nothing special at all. He has an excellent cross though. Great power too. Great energy and work ethic. No attributes that'll help us pass the ball succesfully when 1-0 up away to Montengro. He's an impact player, simple as that. I'm delighted to have him on the bench but he's marked off my list as a potential starter.

Overall thought the U21s last night showed more class than us and that was down to central midfield. Andy Reid will sort that out as well as the emergence of a half dozen central midfielders coming through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The atmosphere was truly immense........ from the Brazilian fans at the very beginning of the match!

Although i think our depression soon effected them!!

God damn awful match, the Brazilians played at 50% and we played a negative 10 in the box for a corner tactics.

The crowd were almost taking the piss with the jeers before the brazilians broke and score.

Get DON OUT:D

Ah well suppose we cant take much out of it except that the FAI robbed a mint from us supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't like to be critical of our players but he's nothing special at all. He has an excellent cross though. Great power too. Great energy and work ethic.

No contradictions? :D

Mike.

I have to agree that McGeady did well. Often I've found that his fancy footwork won't have an end product but I felt he was tidy tonight with his play. One of our better players I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

anyone who thinks McGeady had a bad game knows nothing about football.

• Advertisement

The Eamon Dunphy who can't stand brainless players just said McGeady was outstanding. There was a thread on foot.ie titled something like "Whelan has it in for McGeady" (I had to merge so I forget the title). Everyone I met after the match were happy with McGeady. I bet people watching on telly were listening a bit too much to Whelan. He's a knob.

Advertisement