Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stan going to be Leeds new Assistant Manager

• 04-02-2008 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭

A big step down in my opinion, no disrespect to leeds but from managing a national team to go back and to a league 1 team is a bit of an embarrassment for himself.

Id say Dunphy and press will have a field day with this...:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

give him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

league 1 if you don't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

just as things were looking up for Leeds.

I think it is a step in the right direction for him, he never should have got the ireland job to begin with - he needed to gain a lot more experience. Hopefully being an assistant manager at a fairly big cub (regardless of league position) will give him some experience he can use when going on to be a manager in his own right in a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Probably one of the funniest announcements made in years, even better than KK going back to Newcastle.

CLASSIC.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Oh this made me lol a lot. But in all seriousness, I hope he does well there, he was put in an akward position with the Irish job to begin with, maybe the daily ins and outs of club managment will help his development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It wasn't his fault the FAI took the cheap option. Hope he does well. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

id have to say fair play to him getting a job so soon after the ireland disaster. He was in danger of ending up on the scrap heap after the PR disaster with ireland. Wish him bet of luck. He got alot of flak with ireland, alot of it was worthy of course, but some of it was bang out of order and gutter journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I can just imagine the interviews "I'm the assistant gaffer and the buck no longer stops with me". On Mcallister "What that man doesn't know about football.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

i do hope stan does well as he was a great servant to the irish cause his appointment was down to the thicks in the fai,a position he was no way ready or suited for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Much better appointment for Staunton than it is Leeds I think. There are the kind of jobs he should be looking for.

Thing is, McAllister isn't very competent in my view, and he may not be in the job more than a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

McAllister should have got Sammy Lee

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Is it just me that reckons that the only reason we havnt got a new manager, that its taken 3 months to get this far is that a certain member of the panel of three wise men wants his moment of glory, leading the team out against Brazil. Certainly seemed like that at the awards last night.

Wrong thread ->

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Good luck to him. He was a great player and was just out of his depth in the Ireland game. We've all been there but maybe not so publicly. Good team for him too, they'll likely be in the PL within 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,695 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

From International Manager to Assistant in division 3 - Sums it all up really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Sizzler wrote: »
    Probably one of the funniest announcements made in years, even better than KK going back to Newcastle.

CLASSIC.

:D

I'm sorry but nothing can top that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Jaysus, between this bit of Stan news and the new 'Ireland Manager Breaking News' thread (which is a bit fowl) :D

What next??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

rkm wrote: »
    It wasn't his fault the FAI took the cheap option. Hope he does well. Good luck to him.
    I have to say, I agree.

I was totally opposed to Staunton being in charge of the national team, only because of his complete lack of experience. Assistant manager at Leeds is about the level he should have started at when he hung up his boots.

I wish him the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

FAI's fault, this, that and the other, blah blah blah.

Now, I'm no fan of the FAI, but this revisionism about Staunton is a bit hard to take tbh.

Staunton should have damn well known he would have been out of his depth. He should never have taken the job in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Too true Des, I mean what kind of ego must he have had thinking that he could actually do a good job? I mena, the FAI didn't force him to apply or force him into it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I really can't see the problem with Stan applying for the Irish job tbh, anyone who thought they were up to it/wanted it was free to apply. It was the responsibility of the FAI to find the best/most qualified candidate - something they spectacularly failed to do. Half of Ireland were wary of the appointment at the time, the other half hoping it would work out ok...
    So i'm definitely blaming the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,695 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

rkm wrote: »
    I really can't see the problem with Stan applying for the Irish job tbh, anyone who thought they were up to it/wanted it was free to apply. It was the responsibility of the FAI to find the best/most qualified candidate - something they spectacularly failed to do. Half of Ireland were wary of the appointment at the time, the other half hoping it would work out ok...
    So i'm definitely blaming the FAI.

Stan used his influence to get a job that he had to right getting, never mind been grossly underqualified. Stan is no angel in that episode.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Why do I continue supporting Leeds when sh1t like this keeps happening to us? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Zaph wrote: »
    Why do I continue supporting Leeds when sh1t like this keeps happening to us? :(
    Love of the club Zaph. Love of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Too true Des, I mean what kind of ego must he have had thinking that he could actually do a good job? I mena, the FAI didn't force him to apply or force him into it...
    In all fairness if the FAI offered me the job tomorrow (or in 9 days time) I'd jump at it. It'd be a dream to play/manage the irish team and not one I'd likely pass up - regardless of my ability. That said Stan had a lot to lose in terms of his future reputation in the game that I would so he probably should have said no.

Anyway, all the best to the lad - I'd love him to make a success of it in Leeds (not too much though as I generally dislike the club:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

to be honest lads, its only an assistant role, nothing else. he is not the boss, not the gaffer :D. he will not be allowed to have the same influence again and wont make the same mistakes. you never know, this could make him(though i doubt it).

i dont like the clown and never will, dont get me wrong,but this is about his level and good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

sprinkles wrote: »
    In all fairness if the FAI offered me the job tomorrow (or in 9 days time) I'd jump at it. It'd be a dream to play/manage the irish team and not one I'd likely pass up - regardless of my ability. That said Stan had a lot to lose in terms of his future reputation in the game that I would so he probably should have said no.

Anyway, all the best to the lad - I'd love him to make a success of it in Leeds (not too much though as I generally dislike the club:))

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree that if you offered the job you'd jump, but come on, if you had no experience, nothing to suggest you'd do a good job...where's the integrity?!

mike65 wrote: »
    McAllister should have got Sammy Lee

Genius me! ;)
    Gary McAllister has revealed former Bolton manager Sammy Lee was his first choice to become his assistant at Leeds.

But Lee is currently in a compensation wrangle with the Premier League club and McAllister has turned to Steve Staunton, appointed on Monday, instead.

McAllister said: 'I did look to bring Sammy Lee in, but he's still negotiating with Bolton over his contract and that made the situation difficult.

'I told Sammy that I needed to get someone in straight away and he understood where I was coming from.

'It was fortunate for me that Steve was available and willing to take the job.

'Steve knows that I was going after Sammy initially, and it's not a case of him being second choice. Steve's an experienced guy in his own right and he fits the bill.'

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Is there no end to Staunton's stupidity???
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=574111

Staunton Becomes McAllister's Assistant At Leeds

Former Republic Of Ireland manager, Steve Staunton, has returned to football management after accepting a job offer to become Gary McAllister's assistant at Leeds United.

After replacing Dennis Wise as Leeds manager last week, McAllister has brought in Staunton to Elland Road, initially on a short-term contract until the end of the season.

Staunton, who worked with McAllister at Coventry City, hasn't worked since being sacked following Ireland's unsuccessful Euro 2008 campaign.

The former Liverpool, Aston Villa and Coventry full-back said he was thrilled to be given the opportunity to work with the Division One promotion hopefuls.

"I'm delighted to be here," Staunton told the club's official website. "Gary brought me to Coventry as a player, I played with him at Liverpool, and it's nice to team up again.

"I hope I can be of assistance and help this great club get back to where it belongs.

"It's a great opportunity to work at a big club with a good manager, and learn the ropes from someone else on the inside and see how a club runs.

"Your next progression after playing is coaching and managing and this is a great opportunity for ourselves to be part of something that will be big in a few years."

The appointment ends speculation about Sammy Lee and Gary Speed, who had both been linked to assistant's job at the Yorkshire club.

Gil Gillespie

FFS Stan it's not as if you didn't do the job before.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement