Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hole in exhaust tailpipe

Options
  • 04-02-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi, car booked for its NCT in the end of Feb and was just planning on putting it through to see what its needs as its in good condition.

However when i was washing it yesterday i noticed that there is a hole in the tailpipe of the exhaust, now i assume that this would immedially fail the NCT or am i wrong?

Would those repair kits be acceptable for an NCT?

I do not want to buy a backbox section for it for the sake of quite a small hole in the pipe, plus depending on if it needs anything major for the NCT it may not be worth spending the money on.

Any advice or knowledge of similar experience appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh get yourself some gun gum and patch it up and it will pass the nct as long as the exhaust is not leaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Get it welded

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Get it welded

+1

A quick weld will sort your problems.

Ring Fastfit and they should be able to do it while you wait.

http://www.fastfit.ie/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whereabouts on the tailpipe? Between the backbox and the outlet? If so I wouldn't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 scotia

If it's just on the end tail pipe piece it shoud be fine,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Yeah its just between the back box and the outlet. Small hole [size of a 20c coin] about 1.5'' in [tailpipe is roughly 3'']
    So you reckon it would be ok for the NCT?
    Does the machine that measures the emissions/smoke cover the whole of the tailpipe then?
    Ive been looking at exhaust repair products like Gun Gum as per suggested and i think i might get one of them to patch it up a bit. Then if it gets any worse ill get it welded.

Thanks for the replies guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

HJL wrote: »
    Small hole [size of a 20c coin] about 1.5'' in
    Sorted!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yeah its just between the back box and the outlet. Small hole [size of a 20c coin] about 1.5'' in [tailpipe is roughly 3'']
    Does the machine that measures the emissions/smoke cover the whole of the tailpipe then?
    Ive been looking at exhaust repair products like Gun Gum as per suggested and i think i might get one of them to patch it up a bit. Then if it gets any worse ill get it welded.

yeh a bit of gun gum to patch it up should see it through the nct no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

esel wrote: »
    Sorted!

I could also stick a €1 coin over the hole, last 5 times as long!:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wouldn't bother patching it up as it won't affect emissions results. However, I would be concerned about the fact that it is rusting. If it rusted here (where there shouldn't be a water build up then whats the back box like?

• Advertisement
Advertisement