Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Students to get grants based on own income

Options
  • 04-02-2008 12:14pm

Irish Independent 04/02/2008

www.independent.ie/national-news/students-to-get-grants-based-on-own-income-1280700.html

Students to get grants based on own income

A major shake-up in third-level maintenance grant rules will allow students qualify for State financial support to pay their way through college on the basis of their own, rather than their parents', income.

The Student Support Bill, being published this week, will pave the way for students under 23 and living away from home to be independently assessed for the purposes of a grant.

Under existing regulations, parental income is used to decide whether a student is entitled to a grant. This has been criticised for not taking account of the reality that some people are financially independent before they are 23.

The new bill provides a framework for a new category of independent student under 23, but the detail of the eligibility criteria has still to be worked and will be published as regulations. At the moment a student has to be over 23 to be regarded as "independent".

Among the issues to be considered are the levels of proof that will be required to establish that a student is financially independent and not claiming a grant while, for instance, their parents pay the rent.

It is hoped the reforms will play a role in broadening access to college and encourage children from less-well-off families to pursue third-level studies.

The forthcoming legislation will streamline the application and payment for maintenance grants, bringing the process under the umbrella of a single administrative system in place of four different schemes operating at present. The vocational education committee network will be the single administrative agency.

The new package will give students guarantees on the timescale for decisions on their grant applications and earlier payments of cheques.

Over 56,000 students benefit from the third-level maintenance grants, and the maximum rate of ordinary grant is €3,420, with up to €6,690 for the €12,500 most financially hard-pressed cases.

The new legislation will also tighten rules on the nationality and residency requirements attaching to grant eligibility, bringing Ireland into line with other EU countries.

Comments

My contribution: About frickin' time!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It might be a bit late for you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

I'd be happy if they even set up a government run student loans company offering maintenace loans that didn't have to be paid back until we were earning enough after graduating, like they have in the UK.

Do you think this will come into effect for 2008 entry? Thank goodness I've kept all my bills and payslips.

This will be a HUGE weight off my shoulders :D

Hrm, from any of the press releases from Dept of Education land, all I've seen is that they're aiming to get it under way for 2009/10. But we'll wait and see.

Advertisement