Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Tyres: R17 45 235's

Options
  • 04-02-2008 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need to get a new set of tyres for my 2.0 Tdi Passat. There are Dunlops on it at the moment but they seemed to wear out pretty quick. I got offered Pirrelli P Zero Rosso's for €150 each. Are these a good trye?
    Can anyone recommend anything better?
    Thanks!

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

I have Avon tyres on my car 255/35/18 .
    I wound them Avon ZZR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I had a set of Avon tyres and they were fairly crap.
    Those Pirelli P Zero's will be excellent for grip. They won't last all that long.
    In general, good grip = short life. Poor grip = long life.
    (Very general by the way!)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

THe P Zeros will more than likely wear alot more than the dunlops! They are a fantastic tyre, but dependant on your driving style, they may not last long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The diesel will eat them a lot quicker too, with the heavier engine and the low down torque delivery.
    Maybe get a more intermediate set, seeing as the Passat isn't a performance car, and the tyres on it already exceed the standard size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Cheers for the info. The tyres are bigger because the car has the upgraded Monza Alloys. The regular tyres are 16's.
    I certainly want a fairly hard wearing tyre so I'll avoid the Pirelli's. The Dunlop SP9000 and SP3000 are coming in at €160 so they might be worth a look.
    I think the 3000 is designed for large luxury cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

have a simmilar passat myself, with slightly different size tyes from midwest tyres in limerick. Bridgestones 225 45 r17, for 140. Think it was supposed to be 160ish but she quoted me the original price on the phone, and stuck to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I got 215 45 17 Goodyear Eagle F1's for 130euro from Pat Clifford Tyres in Clontarf. Seemed like a good price at the time. Have done 10k on them and they seem brand new. I drive a diesel golf btw. They have good grip in the wet especially, way better than the avon's I had on before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

As i'm in the trade i always get mad when i see how easily people get ripped off... 160 each for a tyre.. paid 90 for dunlops for the gt, i know they are only 16's but still.
    Give a guy in donegal called callaghan tyres a call just to get a real price, think you will be surprised 074 9368122 and they will deliver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

Try Michelin I think they are a fairly hard tyre compared to Pirelli or Dunlop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

slideways wrote: »
    As i'm in the trade i always get mad when i see how easily people get ripped off... 160 each for a tyre.. paid 90 for dunlops for the gt, i know they are only 16's but still.
    Give a guy in donegal called callaghan tyres a call just to get a real price, think you will be surprised 074 9368122 and they will deliver

Was down in Callaghans a couple of weeks ago, looking for tyres, they have some very cheap but very **** tyres. The guy i was dealing with was a complete noob, not the normal boss (heavy fella). Had no interest in ordering the tyres i wanted and wouldn't even give me the model numbers of the tyres he could order.
    With tyres, you get what you pay for.
    try http://www.eiretyres.com/, it will get a good idea of what you should be paying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

I agree with last poster. Go get them at eire tyres then get them fitted locally. If you want a good quality budget tyre then you can't go too far wrong with these fellas.

Sumo Firenza

ST-08 235/45 ZR17 97W XL

from that site. They are 78.30 per tyre delivered to your door.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I got Eagle F1's, €165/€170 (cant remember) for the tyre fitted and disposal of last ones. I do alot of driving, so I know theyre not going to last long, but the grip and safety in them, is worth the money. Sp3000's arent bad. Even toyo T1R's might be worth a look..

Advertisement