Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

San Francisco and Frat Houses

• 04-02-2008 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi!

My friends and I have our J1 visas and everything and now its time to hunt accommodation, we're going to San Francisco and rumour has it that frat houses in Berkeley go pretty cheap- anyone know more about this? How do you go about getting a place?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elambra

Hi,

I stayed in Berkeley for 2 summers on J1's, if you get there early enough you will find some rooms in some of the frat houses but also there are other student houseshares that aren't frats that are good. We ended up in one full of Irish and a couple of americans that was decent enough (total party house though). Be prepared to party every night if your in a frat house (although there are a small few that are quiet). Also, careful you dont end up with a load of D4 lads who think that just cos they are in a huge frat house they can act like they are on an American TV programme and behave like jocks. We went to one place and there was a D4 guy doing ID checks on the door (21's etc.) and he wasn't letting us in! we told him to cop on and another american eventually let us in, I mean come on! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Noodlehead

So you can't plan a place to stay in advance? How much did it cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭bassman22

this is one of the better cleaner nicer ones.
    although the kitchens aren't great in any frat house.

http://sigmanu.berkeley.edu/

here's another good spot, lots of people lots of parties (you get your own kitchen):

http://www.usca.org/

also many good apartments to be found over there if you're willing to put in the legwork.

best summer ever! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rdyl6

David19 wrote: »
    I was on a J1 in San Francisco over the summer. I actually lived in Berkeley which is a small city beside San Francisco. Its about 20 mins away on the train.

Berekely is where all the Irish J1 people live. Basically since its a college town and all the students have gone home there's plenty of accomadation. Its a very nice and relaxing place. Its also slightly warmer than San Francisco.

I lived in a frat house with about 20 Irish people. The house was huge, 3 stories. Rent is pretty cheap if you're sharing your room with friends. Some people don't like to go over to the states to live with Irish people but I have to say I had the best summer ever. I was drinking and partying nearly every single day. There's always a party going on somehwere in Berkeley. Since I was under 21 I wouldn't have been able to do that had I lived in SF city and tbh it wouldn't have been as fun. If you do want to avoid the Irish then get a place in SF rather than Berkeley.

San Francisco itself is a fantastic place. Its possibly the nicest city in the US. I could easily see myself living there sometime. The only problem was we couldn't get work because we were late going out. Try your best to get work before you go. Construction and furniture removal pay very well. Once you get out there go to Berkeley and call up to the frat houses(they have greek letters over the door) and ask if they have rooms. You'll find somewhere eventually. Bring plenty of cash to tie you over in case you find it hard to get work or a place to live,

I absolutely loved it. I'm thinking of going back again this summer. Anyway if you have anymore questions just ask.
    hi im headin over to San Francisco this summer, just wondering how did you get accomadation in da frat house..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The preceding post was moved from a very old thread on Travel/Holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭arcade1

don't stay in a frat house, don't stay in berekely, i lived in sf city and it was amazing, went over to berekely afew times but it was crap, most of the american students are gone home and are replaced by irish ones, there isd also nowhere good to go out, seriously live in sf, far far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Noodlehead

arcade, where did you go? And how much did it cost you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

arcade1 wrote: »
    don't stay in a frat house, don't stay in berekely, i lived in sf city and it was amazing, went over to berekely afew times but it was crap, most of the american students are gone home and are replaced by irish ones, there isd also nowhere good to go out, seriously live in sf, far far better.

Yeah but what if you're not 21 and you are relying on parties, not nightclubs?

pick up a driving license and you'll be fine for all places in berkeley and most in the city (san fran). Big supermarkets while on your travels can actually be the strictest places when getting booze...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aoifeeeee7

Hi!

Me and a load of friends are headin to berkeley and have our hearts set on staying in a frat house! But we're not flying out until the 16th june- fairly late! Does anybody know if we will have any chance of still getting accomodation in one since from what i've read it seems to be a case of knocking on doors once u arrive? Is there any way of organising to stay in one before we go out?

• Advertisement

its mainly knocking on doors for frat houses, you might still get some at that time but they'd be smaller, more dingy and more out of the way.
    some you can book beforehand (like the link i posted above) but that is the only web address I have....

found this on a quick google search, if you type in the right words!

http://csee.lbl.gov/cup/Housing/coopsgreeks.html

may be of use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Pumpkinseed

i think i got my accomadation in berkley sorted, does ne one know about jobs in the area????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Heading over to SF for the summer. Not getting a J1 as I have a job online that I can do from over there (hopefully).

Accommodation costs in SF are unreal.

Was wondering if anyone knows if frat houses are much cheaper, what kind of prices they are and can you recommend one.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Blackthorn1011

Heading to San francisco for the summer on the J1, we're staying in Berkeley and are curently sourcing accomodation, whats the difference between co-op houses and frat houses??

so no 1 seems to no about jobs in the area no?

so no 1 seems to no about jobs in the area no?

Everyone I've talked to said applying for jobs when you get over there is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

i think i got my accomadation in berkley sorted, does ne one know about jobs in the area????

hey how did u get ur accomodation sorted for berkeley??? i have sent a few emails but have got no replies!! do u have a certain email address??

keltoms wrote: »
    hey how did u get ur accomodation sorted for berkeley??? i have sent a few emails but have got no replies!! do u have a certain email address??

Most frat houses arent taking bookings till Early April, and most dont reply to emails. Or so I am to believe.

briliant thanks!!

• Advertisement

I just literly emailed loads of people from the berkley summer housing website. Can't remember the addresses though I deleted them. People were really helpful and gave me addresses and stuff of people to get information off. I got a few responses from the frat houses, one of them from a bit of a rip off dude charging loads, who was a bit freaky ! but others were more straight forward.. we got our room and it was one of the cheaper offers.

I just literly emailed loads of people from the berkley summer housing website. Can't remember the addresses though I deleted them. People were really helpful and gave me addresses and stuff of people to get information off. I got a few responses from the frat houses, one of them from a bit of a rip off dude charging loads, who was a bit freaky ! but others were more straight forward.. we got our room and it was one of the cheaper offers.

Is that the UCSA site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

any idea of prices, im heading to Berkley for the summer as well and thinking of the student accomodiation as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aoifeeeee7

Thanks very much! We've e-mailed a few of them now but no response!
    Btw, if they dont respond to e-mails how do they start taking bookings, is there some kind of application form?!

There's an application form on the UCSA site, think it has to be in by 10th april.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grets85

I'm heading to San Fran for the Summer with five others but don't want to stay in a Frat house as people say its a bit too far outside the city.

Just wondering dose anyone know where a good place yet reasonable place to live. Also where should we go looking for jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭arcade1

Noodlehead wrote: »
    arcade, where did you go? And how much did it cost you?

i lived in the city, it was more expencive than berkeley and i was 21. just go over and stay in a hostel for the first while, check craigslist 4 or 5 times a day for accom, something good will come up.
    jobs can be hard to get, depending on what your wiling to do.
    http://www.yelp.com/
    this is a review website for the san fran area, almost every business is on there with links to websites where you can find a way to contact the company, might be a help to anyone looking for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 doylie88

Myself and a big enough group of friends( about 13) are going over to Berkeley for the summer but our arrival dates are fairly staggered, some arriving at the end of May, some mid June and then some late June! We've e-mailed loads of frat houses but have gotten no replies!:(Does anyone know of any website addresses/e-mail addresses of people where we could rent an appartment/house for the 3 months we're out there? Or even of any e-mail addresses of fraternities that people have actually gotten replies from?!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rolypolymoly

I've sent sooo many e-mails and no replies as of yet(except for one and they had no room!)..so its really starting ti p*** me of!
    Does anyone know anything about the telegraph commons in berkeley?! i saw them on one of th sites and it looks like they might be the only alternative if no frats get back to me!

E@gle. wrote: »
    any idea of prices, im heading to Berkley for the summer as well and thinking of the student accomodiation as well.

sorry for the late reply. our rent is 300 dollars a month and we have sent over already a deposit of 300 dollars which we'll (hopefully) get back at the end of our stay.

I also heard that if your going with sayit, or no of anyone, on the J1 Lounge thing there is a list of about 20 frat houses, addresses, emails phone numbers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Popa_irl

Lads i just got an e-mail from USCA Berkeley for Co-op summer housing confirming i have a place and that they are sending me a contract. The houses are great and rent is cheap.

www.usca.org

Advertisement