Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

badger skulls

• 04-02-2008 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

This may seem like a strange question but does anybody have any badger skulls that they know the age of? I'm a postgrad student studying badger ecology and i'm trying out differnt techniques to age wild badgers. I looking for skulls that have a know age eg cub, yearling, 2 year old, 3 year old etc. If anybody has any or knows where i could get some i'd be very appreciative!
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Try the department of Agriculture, they've slaughtered hundreds of thousands in their TB "research":rolleyes::rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭rosiec

Yeah they have loads but as they're wild badgers they cant be sure of the age :( You can only get a rough estimation of a dead animals age. Unfortunately i need to know exactly what age the skulls are, which makes getting samples so much harder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Good luck with that one, sounds a near impossible task to me. If someone had 10 years to spare it probably could be done. Microchip or tag as many cubs as possible in the first year or two and after that try recapture a couple every year and hey presto you've got skulls you can age.

Advertisement