Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bedlam in Goliath

• 04-02-2008 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Really enjoying this. Can't say its all new but its like they're concentrating on the music instead of the concept. They haven't ditched the quite-load **** that plagues Francis... completely but they certainly have reduced it significantly, more so than Amputecture, and incorporated whats left into the songs as opposed to dividing songs or passages. Wind instruments take a more prominent role which lend a Soft Machine/King Crimson 70s art prog layer to some tracks. The keyboards on Goliath are positively Purple. Very funky in places, but mostly its pummeling you into submission with its raucousness as only the Volta can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

I really wish they'd ditch the noise, it hasn't worked since De-Loused & has really reduced the overall quality of each subsequent album.

Love the introduction of more horns, gives them much more of a "world" music sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This album is continually growing on me. It may end up as a favourite. Imo Frances was the best album they did but this album comes quite close and may surpass it. Its definitely an improvement over Amputechture, which though I quite liked, had a certain air of exhaustion about it. On this album they sound far more energetic. Favourite tracks are Askepious, Ouroborous and Candy and the Currant Bun. My only criticism on this album is that some of the vocal melodies are fairly un-inspired on some of the songs which is a shame because the music is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I like discussing it in its thread in the alternative/indie forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

I like discussing it in its thread in the alternative/indie forum.

Three things:
    1. If you like discussing it in alt/indie why don't you discuss it in alt/indie? You haven't posted
    2. Besides the op there is no discussion of this album in that thread
    3. The Mars Volta are a progressive rock band. Alt/indy is not the appropriate forum for discussions about the band - Rock & Metal is

Meanwhile on topic...It definitely grows like amputecture, except I liked everything on this from the start and found amputecture took a few spins before realising its brilliance. For me Francis has the best music they have done but Ampatecture hangs together better. I think the bedlam is marrying the best music with the best structure and will, before long, be my favourite.

Advertisement