Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wed page ?

Options
  • 04-02-2008 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

HI, our school is looking at getting a web page put together, but as always money is...well nill.
    IS there a collage or somewhere like that , that would do it a sa project.
    We can get money for the address , but the cost of all the other stuff is mad.
    any tips, thanks,
    cathy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can look at getting free templates online and just fill out them with text and pictures.
    You can also google "free websites". They will not give you a free domain name (e.g www.myschool.com) but something like myschool.freewebsite.com
    Usually they have a an online website builder so you can choose different templates to use.
    G'luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

if we got it for free, would there be even a chance, however small that pop ups of rude pictures could come up??
    have to be soooo careful.
    cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not likely although there may be other advertisements popping up. This is, after all, how the sites makes their money.

Go with a known one, like http://www.tripod.lycos.com/ or http://geocities.yahoo.com/
    I'm sure others will have suggestion too when they read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Prices are not that expensive these days. A friend of mine is hosting his club site with Digiweb. They also provide a tool and templates to help you build a site. A .com name will cost less than €10, a .ie less than €30 and that Digiweb package is €20 a year. Even that should be within the budget of any school. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Easiest option ...

.com 10 quid (30 ish for a .ie)
    hosting 40 quid (ish)
    Install wordpress (its a 1 click install on most of the hosting providers)

Your site is up and running :)

Grab a template from online ... install it ...

To be honest it'd be the easiest way of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Maybe setting up a blog type site over at www.wordpress.com and choosing one of those templates would be a good route to take. Cost would be minimal or 0 and you can get a nice looking site and do it all youself with ease.

DJB wrote: »
    Maybe setting up a blog type site over at www.wordpress.com and choosing one of those templates would be a good route to take. Cost would be minimal or 0 and you can get a nice looking site and do it all youself with ease.

I always tend to overlook blogging sites for multiple users but its probably a very good route to take.

I'd still advise ye get your domain name anyways if you want it.
    You can have it redirect to your myschool.wordpress.com site :) and it ensures that you've got the domain if ye ever do get a budget to work with :)

There'll be a bit of a learning process for you but feel free to post up questions ... people usually respond fairly lively :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

If you're working with 0 budget, it can be a good route to take IMO.

Forb's right - pick up your domain name anyway.

You might even find you know someone who is willing to host it for you which will then mean you've got me@myschool.com email addresses for all the staff

Edit: Cathy you're not by any chance located in galway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Good suggestions all around but i get the impresssion the OP
    does not know how to register a domain, Does not know what hosting to buy,
    Does not how what wordpress is and does not know how to install a template on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Hey cathy, drop me a PM and i'll sort out free hosting and domain name for ya :)

The hosting comes with an easy to use website builder which should do the job.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sposs, read the charter please.

I would also appreciate if you would begin publically revealing your association with Hosting 365 if you are speaking on their behalf, or leave those communications to Steve.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

You could try the Google Page Creator.

It's free etc etc and you will get a domain name like myschool.googlepages.com

The page creator is very simple after that. It comes with plenty of templates and should suit your relatively basic needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Sposs, read the charter please.

I would also appreciate if you would begin publically revealing your association with Hosting 365 if you are speaking on their behalf, or leave those communications to Steve.

Thanks.

Ok will do. :)

Advertisement