Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Home Network - ?!

• 04-02-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a simple setup at home - 2 Desktop PCs - One monster rig and a secondary PC. I'm with BT with a 3meg connection and want to split the broadband signal between the two and also create a network where I can send files back and forth from one to another.

Probably a simple task but I'm unsure of what hardware I need.

I'm not all that interested in lightning fast transfer speeds between each PC, just the facility to move files across if need be. I'm not using wireless at the moment - I don't think each one has the capability! (stupid statement?!!) I'm a little new to this, I don't know if ANY PC can be made wireless or would the wireless connection effect the BB speeds! that said I don't see any "wired" options on Argos etc...

Is there much setting up to move modem settings from my existing DSL router to another?

Would this suffice...?

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=1500001101&productId=1500200851&clickfrom=name

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

sticker wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've a simple setup at home - 2 Desktop PCs - One monster rig and a secondary PC. I'm with BT with a 3meg connection and want to split the broadband signal between the two and also create a network where I can send files back and forth from one to another.

Probably a simple task but I'm unsure of what hardware I need.

I'm not all that interested in lightning fast transfer speeds between each PC, just the facility to move files across if need be. I'm not using wireless at the moment - I don't think each one has the capability! (stupid statement?!!)

Is there much setting up to move modem settings from my existing DSL router to another?

Would this one suffice...?
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=1500001101&productId=1500200851&clickfrom=name

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't spend that much on a router. I have a dlink524
    and I just share the folders I want shared between the two pcs. Works great for me anyways. I can also view video files from each pc without a hitch so far :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Cheapest way would be use the router you have atm.
    If you want to go wireless, you're going to need to add the capability to whichever pcs dont have it.
    The Belkin seems like overkill to me, the guts of 200 euro; it's up to you which way you want to go, if you need wireless i'd look at a cheap g or 2g router till the n routers come down in price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Do you need to go wireless? Are the computers close enough that you could just have them both connected to one router with ethernet cable or is this not an option?

If you can connect them both to a router then it is easy enough to setup a home network, they both will have access to the internet and you can share files between them no problem.

You can also do it wirelessly but you would need to get a wireless adapter for the pcs if they dont have a wireless card which i would assume they dont. If possible though go with the wired option to save you hassle. Let me know if its an option and pm me if you have any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Thanks for the replies guys - this is the router I currently have;

http://www.voyager.bt.com/wired_routers/voyager_210/product_info.htm

and you're right it DOES support a small network...! Question is how do I do it?! There's only one ethernet connetion and 1 USB.

I'm currently using the ethernet for the main rig, can I just connect the USB lead to the other PC and it should work?!

i dont think that router is going to do the job, you should look at getting one with 4 ethernet ports, for example a netgear one. this will allow you to connect 4 devices to it and have your net shared over them. I have a pc a laptop and my xbox hooked into mine all sharing the one connection. My laptop and pc then can share files also as i want. You can get them in pc world or any of the usual shops and it wouldnt cost anything near what you have above.

i have the DG834GT ADSL modem router if you want to look it up

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    i dont think that router is going to do the job, you should look at getting one with 4 ethernet ports, for example a netgear one. this will allow you to connect 4 devices to it and have your net shared over them. I have a pc a laptop and my xbox hooked into mine all sharing the one connection. My laptop and pc then can share files also as i want. You can get them in pc world or any of the usual shops and it wouldnt cost anything near what you have above.

i have the DG834GT ADSL modem router if you want to look it up

It is actually working - the dual web connetion that is...

In regard to the 'network' - I'm not sure how it works - would it be the case that the respective PC's would simply appear in 'My Computer' as a removable drive?! Or do I need to setup the network seperately?

Im not sure with a usb setup like you are using but usually you would setup a small home network through windows. Click on start and then My network place and there is an option top left to setup a small network. Follow the steps in that. For sharing of files and folders once you have that up and running you right click on a folder and select sharing and make that folder shareable on the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm currently using the ethernet for the main rig, can I just connect the USB lead to the other PC and it should work?!

You could do that yes, but don't. From my experience USB network connectons like that are very unreliable.

You're best be is to buy a small Hub or switch, and plug that via ethernet into the router, then plug the rest of your PCs into the remaining ports on the switch.

Sean_K wrote: »
    You could do that yes, but don't. From my experience USB network connectons like that are very unreliable.

You're best be is to buy a small Hub or switch, and plug that via ethernet into the router, then plug the rest of your PCs into the remaining ports on the switch.

Could you recommend a hub or switch please?

I have no personal experience with this one, but netgear are reputable enough:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=319207

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Sean_K wrote: »
    I have no personal experience with this one, but netgear are reputable enough:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=319207

Netgear are 100% alright, failing that anyone will do the job. They are all the same really...

If I was you I would pick up a wireless router for about €100, throw that BT voyager in the bin and just use the wireless router as your gateway?.
    Giving you 4 ethernet ports for pc connections, wireless capabilities in case down the line you look at getting a laptop, xbox360 or something.

Any router will do the job, they all essentially do the same thing..
    Asus, netgear, linksys, Canyon, all the same thing to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

sticker that one sean_K showed would do perfectly.

plug the bt voyager into it. then plug ethernet cables into both computer's connected to the hub.

if you have windows vista on both computer's it will create the network itself.
    if win xp then there's a tiny setup needed but its a simple few steps that takes 5 mins.

Thanks for the advice all,

I'll pickup the Netgear from Komplett then - Do I need any additional cables etc or will it have all the kit out of the box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i dont think it comes with ethernet cables. but they are dirt cheap everywhere.

it will come with its own power plug so dont worry.

You'll need 3 ethernet cables in total, one for the router and one for each PC

That router is a good price. Netgear should be solid too.

Thanks again all ....appreciate the help!

...Would you believe I cant find a ethernet cable on it's own on Komplett?!!

• Advertisement

Thanks! :rolleyes:

What's with the rolleyes?

rkm wrote: »
    What's with the rolleyes?

...as in i'm a dumbass - should have seen it myself

It's not the easiest to find the way they named it.
    Here's the list of available lengths etc. http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10188

rkm wrote: »
    It's not the easiest to find the way they named it.
    Here's the list of available lengths etc. http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10188

Thanks!

Hey all,

I got the kit and setup the new network - In Network connections, and view workgroup computers I see each PC in the network - (2) Web working fine on both also.

But when I click on them I just see printer profiles and "SharedDocs" - I can't browse to the other PC's desktop or view the entire contents of the other connected PCs - which is what I wanted in the first place...

What am I doing wrong?!

Use remote desktop.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Use remote desktop.

I'll give it a go!

As a matter of interest, when I wenty to set up the network initially, I ran the setup home newtowrk wizard on BOTH PC's - using the XP idsc when prompted - I assume this was correct...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Manaris

You need to share whatever folders you want to make available to the other pc. Right click on a file/folder and select "sharing and secuity" and tell windows to share that file/folder. If you want to share the entire drive, just right click on the drive in My Computer and do the same...
    Hey all,

I got the kit and setup the new network - In Network connections, and view workgroup computers I see each PC in the network - (2) Web working fine on both also.

But when I click on them I just see printer profiles and "SharedDocs" - I can't browse to the other PC's desktop or view the entire contents of the other connected PCs - which is what I wanted in the first place...

What am I doing wrong?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DannyMac

There shouldn't be any need to change the sharing properties of the folders on each machine.

What you can do is figuire out each machines's IP address by doing an IPconfig

(Start --> Run --> CMD) --> then type ipconfig in the command prompt window and it will show the IP network info.

Then on each machine do the following..

start --> run --> //<ip address of host you want to connect to>\c$

C$ is an administrative share, so if you have admin rights, you will be able to connect to the system and see all folders

You can do the same with D$, etc

When you hit enter after running the command above, a connection window will appear requesting login details..

these are in the format "workgroup name\username" and then the password in the next box.

• Advertisement

DannyMac wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any need to change the sharing properties of the folders on each machine.

What you can do is figuire out each machines's IP address by doing an IPconfig

(Start --> Run --> CMD) --> then type ipconfig in the command prompt window and it will show the IP network info.

Then on each machine do the following..

start --> run --> //<ip address of host you want to connect to>\c$

C$ is an administrative share, so if you have admin rights, you will be able to connect to the system and see all folders

You can do the same with D$, etc

When you hit enter after running the command above, a connection window will appear requesting login details..

these are in the format "workgroup name\username" and then the password in the next box.

Thanks... but I don't follow the last step - what unsername / password do I enter?

Advertisement