Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Home Network - ?!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DannyMac

For the username and password, this will depend how you log on to Windows.

When you boot up your machines, and you are not prompted to log into windows, then the username and password will be administrator with no password.

If however, you get a logon box prompting you to enter a username and password when you boot iup, then you need to enter this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Thanks all - I went with Manaris solution, as I just needed to access a few folders...

As a matter of interest, if I'm downloading with full bandwitdh from the web, will the network transfer speeds slow down - ?!

I'm back with a problem with this issue....

I just switched to NTL and they installed a new modem - The Scientific Atlanta 2203. I've connected the Netgear switch in exactly the same port as the old BT modem was in, but both PCs are NOT seeing eaach other.

The wierd thing is the web IS shared accross both rigs - just not the ability to explore / transfer.

By the by - on bith PC's the sharing option is ON as before.

Help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The new modem has a firewall?

Sherifu wrote: »
    The new modem has a firewall?

I honestly don't know to be honest... where would I find that information?

Also, the NTL tech disabled the Local Area Connection in my network Connections, the first thing I did was re-establish it. Any deeper and I'm over my head!

• Advertisement

Well if nothing else has changed it must be the modem.

You can do a command in a command prompt

ipconfig /all

and find out the ip of the modem and put it into your browser to change the settings.

Well if nothing else has changed it must be the modem.

You can do a command in a command prompt

ipconfig /all

and find out the ip of the modem and put it into your browser to change the settings.

When I enter "ipconfig /all" (without commas) a black dos window appears for a second and disappears again - ?!

Launch the command window first by running cmd.

This is what I get

Picture1.jpg

That looks fine.

So your setup is;

Modem - switch - PCs ?

And you haven't changed anything on the pcs?

Can you ping one PC from the other?

• Advertisement

That looks fine.

So your setup is;

Modem - switch - PCs ?

And you haven't changed anything on the pcs?

Can you ping one PC from the other?

Ahem, don't know how I'm afraid *head bowed*

The setup with the switch is as follows - the two ethernet cables from each PC into the ports 1 & 2 on the switch... the third ethernet cable from NTL modem to 100M / 10M port on switch.

I can't understand why the web is shared between both and they still can't see each other - I've allowed sharing to the two C drives on both PCs as I had before...

Should they just appear in the opposite "My Computer" - ?!

Yes. They should be in my computer in a perfect world.

Could you do ipconfig /all on both pcs?

You can ping by typing

ping [ip address]

in a command prompt

Yes. They should be in my computer in a perfect world.

Could you do ipconfig /all on both pcs?

You can ping by typing

ping [ip address]

in a command prompt

Screengrab of 2nd pc

Picture2.jpg

sticker wrote: »
    Screengrab of 2nd pc

Picture2.jpg
    Ok cool, so from this window on the 2nd pc

enter

ping 89.100.136.200

to ping the 1st pc.

Ok cool, so from this window on the 2nd pc

enter

ping 89.100.136.200

to ping the 1st pc.

It pinged back ok - 4 replies / sent 4 - received 4 - lost 0

What does thid mean?!

sticker wrote: »
    It pinged back ok - 4 replies / sent 4 - received 4 - lost 0

What does thid mean?!
    It means the 2nd pc can see pc1 ok. Is file sharing enabled on each pc?

It means the 2nd pc can see pc1 ok. Is file sharing enabled on each pc?

Just double checked - file sharing is allowed on both PCs

I never checked if there was a firewall setting on the new NTL modem - do you know how I can check this?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Sticker, you should get yourself a cable router to put between the switch and the ntl modem or better yet get a router with a couple of ethernet ports (most routers have a little switch built into them). At the moment what you'll be doing is sharing your files by uploading them all to the local UPC server and then downloading them again. You don't want to do this for a whole load of reasons, the most obvious being that it's a massive security hole and it'll be really slow. You're also exposing your windows machines to the internet which is a bad idea.

This costs just over 30 squids and it's well worth it. It also has wifi built in if you ever get yourself a laptop and want to use it wirelessly around the house. If you don't use the wifi you can disable it via the web interface very easily.

Moriarty wrote: »
    Sticker, you should get yourself a cable router to put between the switch and the ntl modem or better yet get a router with a couple of ethernet ports (most routers have a little switch built into them). At the moment what you'll be doing is sharing your files by uploading them all to the local UPC server and then downloading them again. You don't want to do this for a whole load of reasons, the most obvious being that it's a massive security hole and it'll be really slow. You're also exposing your windows machines to the internet which is a bad idea.

This costs just over 30 squids and it's well worth it. It also has wifi built in if you ever get yourself a laptop and want to use it wirelessly around the house. If you don't use the wifi you can disable it via the web interface very easily.

I started this thread to bridge the gap between the 2 PCs I have at home - I bought the Netgear switch after being advised to do so on this thread...

After the new NTL router was introduced this week, the whole shooting match is blown - I can't understand why NEW HARDWARE is the answer - ?! I assume NTL tech support would fob me off saying it's not their hardware...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I'm just giving you some advice, if you don't want to take it that's fair enough. NTL will say it isn't their issue and they'd be right. They give customers a free router (same model as the one I linked to infact) if they subscribe to the top broadband package, otherwise you need to source a router of your own.

Your windows machines will more than likely be compromised very quickly if they're left directly connected to the NTL modem via the switch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement