Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Shelters

Options
  • 04-02-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

What is the fupping story with the lack of bus shelters? We're living in (don't quote me on this) the wettest city in Europe and I can count the number of bus shelters I've seen in Galway with 2 fingers. It's a complete disgrace, people are expected to stand in the pissing rain, getting wet and sick while waiting for the bus, you wouldn't mind if you only waited for 5 minutes but you could be standing there for anything up to an hour waiting on the bus, getting soaked through to your underclothes. It's shocking, it really is. I am new to Galway so don't know if this is an ongoing issue but have people complained? They should. The ridiculous thing is that they pay for themselves with advertising, it doesn't have to cost anyone anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a bother alright. There are plenty-ish of shelters, just not everywhere.
    have people complained? They should.
    Grand, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

There are a lot of problems with galways public transport, bus shelters being one of them. They could really do with putting up a few more. Letter to the advertiser anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

The funny thing about it is that they have 'upgraded' a few bus stops recently :D no joke!

People were standing on a mound, covered with muck for about 5 months in oranmore before they finished a bus stop they started years ago

The county and city councils in Galway are a joke. They are more concerned with building big, ignorant developments in the city (Ceannt station proposal) with more retail spaces to earn them more money (for their christmas bonuses) rather than spending any of our tax money on service improvement. There's no point complaining about it on here though, organise a protest or write to them or vote them out of office

People on here complain about groups like the GAAW. At least they use their democratic right to protest, we should all have the guts to do it for whatever reason (myself included)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

biko wrote: »
    It's a bother alright. There are plenty-ish of shelters, just not everywhere.

Grand, let us know how you get on.

:D

I don't take the bus, for reasons outlined above, I walk cycle or drive, I'm just indignant for the sake of others and for something to be indignant about.

dafunk wrote: »
    :D

I don't take the bus, for reasons outlined above, I walk cycle or drive, I'm just indignant for the sake of others and for something to be indignant about.

Have you heard about a guy called Joe Duffy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Buy an umbrella or rain jacket OP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

rkm wrote: »
    Have you heard about a guy called Joe Duffy?

Sure, sure, sure, sure, sure, sure, sure, sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was standing in the pouring rain at a bus stop today and I got a bit wet but it was a hell of a lot better than having to walk. At least my feet stayed (semi) dry! I only ever get the bus when it rains though (bus shelter would be handy so!), mainly because if I walk I can catch up with a bus, pass it out, and beat it home. (Not just at rush hour. Traffic is seriously crazy!)

I haven't really noticed a lack of bus shelters, but I have noticed a lack of pedestrian crossings in convenient places (or even in inconvenient places!). When I moved to Galway I was told that Galway people don't jay walk, that it's just a Cork thing. LIES! Of course Galway people jay walk. They have to. There's nowhere to cross!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

janeybabe wrote: »
    .... but I have noticed a lack of pedestrian crossings in convenient places (or even in inconvenient places!). When I moved to Galway I was told that Galway people don't jay walk, that it's just a Cork thing. LIES! Of course Galway people jay walk. They have to. There's nowhere to cross!

Ahh, it's only jay-walking if there's a crossing or lights to show where you should cross. Here's it's not jay-walking, it's just crossing the road, which is legal pretty much anywhere! :D

I got a few laughs out of the rellies at Christmas by observing that "Galway only has two pedestrian crossings - and they're both in the car-park at Tesco". I think I have seen one somewhere else since, but can't quite remember where. There certainly aren't any in most places you'd expect.

The thing that really gets me are the round-abouts that have wheel-chair ramps at the kerb. I'm fit/healthy/mobile, and crossing those things scares me witless. Can't imagine what it'd be like to be using a wheelchair or pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dafunk wrote: »
    The ridiculous thing is that they pay for themselves with advertising, it doesn't have to cost anyone anything.
    If that was the case then I'm sure advertisers would be queuing up! (Obviously, it isn't that lucrative in Galway ;)).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

Surely this only affects poor people? Cannot recall the last time I was on a bus.

Take your gripe over to the poverty forum where you and your fellow sloths and layabouts can discuss getting illegal digital tv, the least disgusting brand of cider, welfare benefits, and of course your precious bus shelters.

JustMary wrote: »
    Ahh, it's only jay-walking if there's a crossing or lights to show where you should cross. Here's it's not jay-walking, it's just crossing the road, which is legal pretty much anywhere! :D

I got a few laughs out of the rellies at Christmas by observing that "Galway only has two pedestrian crossings - and they're both in the car-park at Tesco". I think I have seen one somewhere else since, but can't quite remember where. There certainly aren't any in most places you'd expect.

The thing that really gets me are the round-abouts that have wheel-chair ramps at the kerb. I'm fit/healthy/mobile, and crossing those things scares me witless. Can't imagine what it'd be like to be using a wheelchair or pram.

I tried to cross the road by Tesco before...my one and only time going out that way. It was an experience.

A Canadian girl in my class said she couldn't believe how people just walk out in front of cars here. You get fined for that over there.

What she fails to understand is that you have to do it because eventually you realise that you are getting just as wet standing at the non-existent bus shelter as you would if you walked so you walk....in front of cars if necessary. (Not in front of my car though stupid, that makes me angry!)

I wont know what to do with myself at the weekend when I go home to Cork and see all those bus shelters (ha, not in my area!) and pedestrian crossings. (Actually I do know...I'll drive!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Altar_Ego_Boy

id say CIE are being sponsored by the car-dealer lobby

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

It doesn't help that a large number of drivers don't seem to see the necessity of using their indicators. Some eejit nearly ran me down by the cathedral an hour ago by executing a stealthy left turn off the bridge just as I stepped out from the kerb, having first ascertained that no traffic was coming my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Surely this only affects poor people? Cannot recall the last time I was on a bus.

Or environmentally conscious ones who live in the city centre in apartments with no parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

padraig71 wrote: »
    It doesn't help that a large number of drivers don't seem to see the necessity of using their indicators. Some eejit nearly ran me down by the cathedral an hour ago by executing a stealthy left turn off the bridge just as I stepped out from the kerb, having first ascertained that no traffic was coming my way.

INDICATORS SAVE LIVES...

that's a pet hate of hime too. standing at a raoundabout not knowing whether to cross or not because the feckin' idiots in their cars don't know how to indicate properly. how do some of them get their lisences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Vagrant

I honestly believe that many Galway drivers don't use their indicators because they don't want to reveal their plans to the enemy.

I have received an inordinate number of complaints with regard to the appalling lack of bus shelters, from residents throughout the city.
    Link

Was it you dafunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

rkm wrote: »
    Link

Was it you dafunk?

Hahaha! Funnily enough it wasn't. I've forgotten all about the rain now though, the summer is here. WooHoo! :cool:

Hahaha, summer eh. Wait for it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

Take your gripe over to the poverty forum where you and your fellow sloths and layabouts can discuss getting illegal digital tv, the least disgusting brand of cider, welfare benefits, and of course your precious bus shelters.
    :D:D

Livin in Germany at the moment and ****loads of people use public transport instead of driving to work,yes even the really rich feckers with their cars tucked away at home just waitin to use'em on the weekend. Why? because they're comfortable(regularly cleaned,ie not every f**king 2 yrs), on time(not f**king 2 and half hrs late because the MAAM CROSS f**king FAIR is on!:mad:) AND they are also cheap!!

another thing that "really grinds my gears" is the busstop outside GMIT with no side-walls on it! does whoever designed that thing not know that ireland is famous for its side rain rendering the thing abso-f**king-lutly useless......

Rant over and out.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Today's galway advertiser mentioned 60 new bus shelters on the way...

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=10962&PHPSESSID=1056e3eefbf09fc35cd2c887504176a1

Shinto wrote: »
    Today's galway advertiser mentioned 60 new bus shelters on the way...

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=10962&PHPSESSID=1056e3eefbf09fc35cd2c887504176a1

Too fecking late. I stood in the rain for ages yesterday wating at a bus. I might as well just have walked.

Advertisement