Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boarded up houses

• 04-02-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi
    i was wondering whats our rights on boarded up houses. i woke up on sat morning to find 2 houses, one over looking my garden boarded up.
    it really devalues the area and makes it undesirable to live in. the estate is cardy rock in balbriggan. ive been livign there a few years now and found it an ok place to live. ive been on to fingal coco and balbriggan town council. hope to hear back but wouldnt hold my breath.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I found the citizens information bureau very good if you email them - they will email back

'balbriggan.cic@citizensinformation.ie'

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paul1978

brilliant thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

What's the actual reasoning for boarding them up?
    Obviously it's for increased security when it's unoccupied, but is the occupier who does it or maybe the bank after it's been repossessed?

Sorry for the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gillo wrote: »
    What's the actual reasoning for boarding them up?
    Obviously it's for increased security when it's unoccupied, but is the occupier who does it or maybe the bank after it's been repossessed?

Sorry for the questions.
    Presumably it done by/or on behalf of Fingal Co Co to prevent anti-social behaviour or squatters from entering.

its weird thats its the back thats boarded up and not the front. the houses are terraced so you would have to go through 3 gardens just to get to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

It's same in limerick but the reason here is to stop the lowlifes getting back (well thats the idea) but it doesn't stop them breaking in and burning the houses :rolleyes:

There is more than 1 house boarded up in Cardy Rock - can see at least two from main road. Maybe ask about neighbours

i saw 2 there before christmas coming from Drogheda. the 2 new houses are at the entrance end of cardy rock and to the left facing the road a few houses down.

Let us know how you get on or what they say (me and my big nose)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

There's a couple on the jugback lane in Swords as well, are these council houses? It's weird, they must be owned by the council, no one I know could afford to leave a house emtpy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Jugback estate in swords is council estate

I presume its for added security until the house is reoccupied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

I sent an email to all of the swords Councillors over christmas about the boarded up houses in Jugback.

In fairness, several of them replied to me.

Basically, it appears council houses are boarded up between lettings and in some cases it can take a while to get new tennants, particularly if the houses need work.

I highly recommend emailing all of the councillors in your area about this just to make sure they know its simply not acceptable to spend heaps of taxpayers money on houses and then leave them boarded up and sitting there idle for extended periods of time.

And we wonder why our taxes are so high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Jugback estate in swords is council estate

what a brutal name for an estate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rs wrote: »
    And we wonder why our taxes are so high.
    :confused: Our tax rates are quite low!
    dubmick wrote: »
    what a brutal name for an estate
    It's on Jugback Lane. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I would rather have a boarded up house rather than a squatter.There is a squatter living in my local area and are a menace to everyone.A boarded up house is the lesser of 2 evils.Chances are a boarded up house will be re-occupied in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CLLR D. BUTLER

BALBRIGGAN/SWORDS AREA COMMITTEE [Services B – Planning, Housing, Community Recreation and Amenities, General Business]
    THURSDAY 24TH JANUARY 2008
    ITEM 3 - JUGBACK / CASTLEGRANGE ESTATES - BOARDED UP HOUSES

Question: Councillor Darragh Butler

"To ask the Manager to report on the number of properties boarded up in the Castlegrange and Jugback Estates in Swords, whether or not these are the property of Fingal County Council, and if so, what plans does Fingal County Council have for these properties?"

Reply:

Presently there are three boarded dwellings in Castlegrange Estate and three in Jugback Estate. Five of these dwellings have been referred to the County Architect for the carrying out of the necessary re-let repairs to facilitate the allocation of the dwellings. The other dwelling is boarded since early December for security reasons and is not currently in Housing Stock. One dwelling is due to be allocated next month. It should be noted that three of the dwellings have come back into Council possession since November 2007.

Advertisement