Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The what-recordings-are-inspiring-you-right-now-&-why thread.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Thats it. Seen him live with 8 of his band singing Angus Dei, nothing but a Violin and a Bowed Double bass..... It was simple amazing!

I always reckoned that would sound good done a bit folksy! Which one he do?
    Not a big fan really, is there a utubey link anyone~?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Rufus rocks alright.

Right now I'm listening again to the album Clandestino by Manu Chao. I haven't played it in a while but I've probably listened to it sveral hundred times, I really love it. One of my top albums ever, great to hear it again. The sonics are pretty gritty but it really, really works. It drips in sunshine and there's a music from the barrio feel to it. And did I mention the hooks? Hooks galore baby, hooks galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

studiorat wrote: »
    I always reckoned that would sound good done a bit folksy! Which one he do?
    Not a big fan really, is there a utubey link anyone~?

Thats with piano.

Can't seem to find one with the Double Bass, when it kicks in its simple amazing!

As for his version of hallelujah, its not as good as Jeff's, but its a great version no the less. Also, the Judy thing, he is paying homage to a great adn i feel he does it justice, strangly!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

yeh its in shrek right?:)
    seriously though, side by side, theres no comparison:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 charlesquinn

This week i 'ave been mostly eating bourbon biscuits and listenin' to Boxcutter - Glyphic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Jack DeValera

The songs that have been floating my boat in recent weeks are:

I'm your man - Richard Hell and the Voidoids

That's how strong my love is - O.V. Wright

List of Demands - Saul Williams

Have love will travel - The Sonics

54-56 - Toots and the Maytalls

Velvet Underground - Jesus

For any people who like soul music, O.V. Wright is one of the greats who never gets mentioned - right up there with Al Green, Otis Redding, Marvin Gay et al.

Oh, and can anybody explain to me why pretty much every record released in the 60s sounds better than the ones released today (production wise)? Everything nowadays sounds flat and lifeless - is the technology sapping the life out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Oh, and can anybody explain to me why pretty much every record released in the 60s sounds better than the ones released today (production wise)? Everything nowadays sounds flat and lifeless - is the technology sapping the life out of it?

ToeRag Studios, that's what you want, Mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Nice idea for a thread. :)

Right now I'm being inspired by some classic old skool sample-orientated funky dance/hip-hop. I think the whole electro thing has finally worn off and now Im completely swinging in the opposite direction, so its less European and Synthy, and more black/multicultural and funky and "Vinylly".

Kinda hard to explain but check out these songs for an example.

By the way, if anyone can tell me what instrument makes that amazing noise (which I can only describe as sounding like a tom combined with an upright bass) from the first video (Sonic Animation - the breakdown sound before the main downbeat), do please let me know what it is!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Good tunes above womoma... haven't listed to Music For the... for ages, must dig it out. Never heard that Sonic Animation tune before, excellent stuff. As for the House Of Pain, really brings me back to school!

In relation to Hallelujah, I still like Leonard Cohen singing it the most. Jeff definitely a close 2nd and Rufus does an excellent cover too. BUT, I went to the 'Came So Far For Beauty' concert in the Point a couple of years ago (a night of Leonard Cohens music) and the cover of Hallelujah was done by both Rufus and some woman from the US who's name escapes me but she absolutely killed it, shrieked like a fckin lunatic through the song, it was really horrible. Wish I could remember her name but I know she is a performing artist too. That night otherwise was absolutely amazing.

http://www.dublinks.com/index.cfm/loc/14/pt/0/spid/63A7058B-DDC1-9FFF-4D410928939F0906.htm

Have my tickets for the Leonard Cohen gig now in June, can't wait. Wonder if he can still cut the mustard and depress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I'm sad and a sucker for nice dry vocals, simple songs and great lyrics :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVxgLiNGBvI

The production sounds like is real close to the edge in the studio - pushed pretty hard - great song, probably lethal if on beer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Jeff buckley's Hallelujah owned that other guys version!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I remember now who sung Hallelujah... it was actually Gavin Friday along with Mary Margaret O'Hara at The Point gig -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Margaret_O'Hara

It was really awful :( She just basically wailed throughout the song, maybe it's an acquired sound :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

PaulBrewer wrote: »

When I were a boy (?) ... I used to listen to radio all the time and lots of new music as the radio formats weren't as tight as they are now.
    I used to listen to Fanning and a bit of John Peel (was it on Long Wave?) as well as Larry!

Snap - John Peel - Friday or Saturday nights - 'til about 2 in the morning.

It was on Medium wave as far as I remember - Jeezus! Thats a bit back!

Happy days. Used to be great hearing him play all the Dance tunes on 45 instead of 33 & then 1/2 way through come back and say that he'd made a mistake.

I remember once listening to him & He actually went back and put it back on from the start at 45 because he liked it better.

Good times.

:)

Advertisement