Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

159 Cruise Control update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Your covered under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980.

You didnt get what you ordered and therefore you are entitled to a refund or replace.

End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    does that mean they can stick whatever they like on the car and shrug their shoulders when you come back & query it....???

F that.
    It means what I said: they won't stand over a brochure, and certainly not over a website.

The spec of the car would be confirmed in writing at the time the order was placed I would imagine.

kluivert wrote: »
    You didnt get what you ordered
    It sounds like the OP assumed cc was standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

JHMEG wrote: »
    It means what I said: they won't stand over a brochure, and certainly not over a website.

The spec of the car would be confirmed in writing at the time the order was placed I would imagine.
    I don't think that would stand up in court. If it's in the brochure then the buyer has a reasonable right to expect that it will be on the car.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Being a company car driver since 18, I've never signed for a new car, but when you do, does it include a spec sheet etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

delly wrote: »
    Being a company car driver since 18, I've never signed for a new car, but when you do, does it include a spec sheet etc.?

nope. All it has is the car make/model and version..no list of extras or what is standard is listed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Sorry guys, only now catching up - The joys of the finance Month end in a new job...

Some good news (maybe). I got an email back from the dealer in reply to my email where I pointed it out where the website said the Cruise Control was Standard. He said it was an error, and has passed it onto Fiat Ireland. He CC'd me on the email yesterday late afternoon, but have not heard back from FIAT Ireland so far.

I imagine (and this is why I don't want to publicise the particular dealer - did I mention he gave me a full tank of Diesel? :) ) the Alfa Dealer was not aware it was standard. Although as I've pointed there is mention of it as standard in two separate places.

However, I've not heard back from Fiat Ireland yet. The Brochure does not have a E&OE written on it anywhere.

I'd be happy with a retro fit.

So, good news perhaps.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I don't think that would stand up in court.
    It would, for two simple reasons:
    1. The manufacturer does not compile the brochure, a publishing company does
    2. The manufacturer does not print the brochure, a printer does

Mistakes can be made at either of these, for which the manufacturer is not liable.

It would, for two simple reasons:
    1. The manufacturer does not compile the brochure, a publishing company does
    2. The manufacturer does not print the brochure, a printer does

Mistakes can be made at either of these, for which the manufacturer is not liable.
    I don't think that who printed the brochure makes any difference. The manufacturer provided it to the OP.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I don't think that who printed the brochure makes any difference. The manufacturer provided it to the OP.
    Either way a judge isn't going to hold a company to something they did not produce themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

OP was CC on the order that was placed with the dealer.

Normally do they a print out for you.

Section by section showing standard equipment and optional extras that you have ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Either way a judge isn't going to hold a company to something they did not produce themselves.

Is that a legal opinion or just an opinion?

smcgiff: keep in mind that your sales contract is with the Alfa dealer. You might want to keep your communications with this dealer, not with FIAT Ireland.

I hope you can get this sorted out. Poor customer service by the dealer. But then again, most dealers seem to do a poor job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Sorry to hear about your situation O.P., I am also curious which dealer it is.

My Dad ordered a 159 last year, a 2.4Jtd (which has C.C.) in Oltramare Blue and a certain leather & alloys etc. The thing arrived with a 1.9 engine in it!!!!
    They gave him a courtesy 159 until his car was built with the correct engine.

The way I look at it is this. You had a deal withthe garage, you give them €XX,xxx and they give you the car, with all the various bits included.
    They got your money, but you didn't get the car & extras, so therefore there is three courses of action:

1. They add in the missing extras
    2. They get you another car with all the extras
    3. They refund you fully

Regarding the website error, that is B.S. as the information is also on the E-Brochure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I dont think the fact that an external printer was involved would excuse the fact that an option is missing. It would have been up to someone at AR to proof read it all, and the printers are hardly going to make stuff up themselves and include things randomly !

I expect this will all be all sorted out by the dealer who IMO has nothing to lose as I assume Alfa deleted or omitted CC when building the car !

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Is that a legal opinion or just an opinion?
    Do you think otherwise?

It doesn't matter what I think.

Any printed material used by the manufacturer in the marketing of the car is the responsibility of the manufacturer. The onus is on them to have proper internal controls to ensure that all publications conform to the product being sold.

The dealer is liable for breach of contract. Plain and simple. You may be entitled to (i) a full refund or (ii) monetary compensation or (iii) your car upgraded to the as-described spec or (iv) a replacement car. Don't accept a credit note.

The E&OE clause is an attempt to limit liability. However, The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act is a bigger stick.

I'm sure the dealer will eventually see the OP right.

just noticed that Alfraromeo.ie have changed the spec on your model online to reflect cruise control as an optional extra.

They are moving fast. I hope you have a copy of the 2007 spec model.

Oooooo....could be construed as an admission of error on their part. Very interesting!

:cool:

Oooooo....could be construed as an admission of error on their part. Very interesting!

:cool:

I think they have just been slow to update the website as it appears the 2008 model has cc only as an option, but since the OP ordered in 2007, they should be covered.

Seems they were given a 2008 car, but still can't see it being a problem to get it fitted. The dealer is talking pish, because if its available as an option, then it has all the necessary wiring installed.

The dealer is talking pish, because if its available as an option, then it has all the necessary wiring installed.

Yeah, but car sales men don't know such technical things.

I swear that of all the sales people in all the world, it is the car salesperson that knows his/her product the least. For instance, how many could definitively tell you if a car in question is fwd or rwd? multivalve? service mileage interval? t-belt or chain? petrol octane requirement? Synth or dino oil needed? I could go on. But I might be accused of ranting, which would be OffT.

Back OnT:

OP, any news?

• Advertisement

Yeah, but car sales men don't know such technical things.

I swear that of all the sales people in all the world, it is the car salesperson that knows his/her product the least. For instance, how many could definitively tell you if a car in question is fwd or rwd? multivalve? service mileage interval? t-belt or chain? petrol octane requirement? Synth or dino oil needed? I could go on. But I might be accused of ranting, which would be OffT.

Back OnT:

OP, any news?

ya, but the salesman is making assumptions based on something you say he knows nothing about....the 1st thing they should be doing is finding out if it can be done, not saying it can't...

ya, but the salesman is making assumptions based on something you say he knows nothing about....the 1st thing they should be doing is finding out if it can be done, not saying it can't...

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭10-10-20

smcgiff wrote: »
    day late afternoon, but have not heard back from FIAT Ireland so far.

I imagine (and this is why I don't want to publicise the particular dealer - did I mention he gave me a full tank of Diesel? :) ) the Alfa Dealer was not aware it was standard.

Oh, so he has a petrol station attached to the forecourt? Ah!

Alfa
    Memories
    Begin
    Rather
    Oddly,
    Serenity
    Exudes
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Oh, so he has a petrol station attached to the forecourt? Ah!

Alfa
    Memories
    Begin
    Rather
    Oddly,
    Serenity
    Exudes
    ?

The DaVinci code for beginners J
    BTW a tank of Deisel isn’t much of a extra on a car north of 50k!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

just noticed that Alfraromeo.ie have changed the spec on your model online to reflect cruise control as an optional extra.

They are moving fast. I hope you have a copy of the 2007 spec model.

not here
    http://www.alfaromeo.ie/ALFAROMEO_IRELAND/uploads/1006/1074077362/20061201/159_CT_IRL_27.10.06v2.2.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

this is a joke, tbh. for that money you would expect cc standard, you can get a 00 accord with cc fitted for peanuts.

if i was the op i would take time out and get up close and personal with this dealer, and also name and shame nothing to gain by keeping identity.

regardless of whether the dealer knew or didn't know it was standard, their attitude afterwards is appalling.

They should be bending over backwards to sort this for you and do all teh chasing.

Had you picked it up on the PDI and not handed over the cheque, I imagine their attitude would be totally different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

promethius wrote: »
    Why PM the name of the dealer? Should it not be put up here so we can see how they treat this customer? If they do a good job on fixing the situation then fair enough, if not at least other people will be going in there with their eyes open.

Exactly, is that not the point of boards.ie? Pretty pointless otherwise.
    They are working with you towards a solution.

want2play wrote: »
    promethius wrote: »
    Why PM the name of the dealer? Should it not be put up here so we can see how they treat this customer? If they do a good job on fixing the situation then fair enough, if not at least other people will be going in there with their eyes open.

Exactly, is that not the point of boards.ie? Pretty pointless otherwise.
    They are working with you towards a solution.
    OK, let's play a game of deductions. I'll start - my guess is that the dealer in question is that shining showpiece of customer service, Grandons in Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mountain

a few years ago, friend of mine ordered an alfa 147, red with cream seats,
    special order, waited months for it. Finally, it arrived, red with black seats!

He complained to Alfa/fiat ireland, sHe ended up keeping that one for 3 months or so, while the correct one came in, and when it did, it was a straight swop.

BTW, the dealer concerned was mentioned earlier in a post by name!!!

Advertisement