Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

159 Cruise Control update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote:
    my guess is that the dealer in question is that shining showpiece of customer service, Grandons in Cork!

Good find :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Yeah, but car sales men don't know such technical things.

I swear that of all the sales people in all the world, it is the car salesperson that knows his/her product the least. For instance, how many could definitively tell you if a car in question is fwd or rwd? multivalve? service mileage interval? t-belt or chain? petrol octane requirement? Synth or dino oil needed? I could go on. But I might be accused of ranting, which would be OffT.

Back OnT:

OP, any news?

I agree, it bugs the crap outta me. How can you sell me something if you can't answer my questions?
    However, it's not exclusive to the car world, most large chain electrical stores are the same (apart from DID). The sales guys in them know nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    ya, but the salesman is making assumptions based on something you say he knows nothing about....the 1st thing they should be doing is finding out if it can be done, not saying it can't...

and
    regardless of whether the dealer knew or didn't know it was standard, their attitude afterwards is appalling.

They should be bending over backwards to sort this for you and do all teh chasing.

Had you picked it up on the PDI and not handed over the cheque, I imagine their attitude would be totally different

.........Lex hits the nail on the head in both posts !

No more to be said IMO !

It would appear though, that ordering a car in 2007 for delivery in 2008 mean they can supply you with a MY2008, normally built from September 2007 on and the have the right to ammend the spec. without prior notice.

Either way it would be a really poor show if between them the dealer and importer didn't sort this out....................I believe they will !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snake Nose

If this happened to me, I'd have my CC by now or a full refund...

I'd have phoned them as soon as they opened the next day, and if I didn't get IMMEDIATE satisfaction, I'd have driven down, and told them to take ithe car back and write me a cheque for a full refund, on the basis that the gave me something that I didn't order - it's not a complex issue. It's as simple as "I'd like a refund, as you haven't given me what I paid for". The law protects you in this situation. If they refused, I wouldn't leave. If they tried to remove me from the premises, I'd be having my friends videotape the whole scene anyway, of me remaining calm, and asking nicely if they'd please obey consumer laws and give me the refund I'm entitled to. If they removed me, I'd harrass them with phonecalls - i.e. constant redial, and congest their switchboard, until I got satisfaction. I'd also be in immediate contact with my solicitor & teh ombudsman. Oh, and I would leave the car on their forecourt, on the basis that it's not mine, and they owe me money. But it wouldn't get that far...

Know your rights, and put your foot down - be nice but firm and accept no excuses except 100% satisfaction! The law is on your side. "Item not as described" - it's a clearcut case, whether is something as simple as a dishwasher, or a car!

I always get what I'm entitled to, and I have NEVER been shafted by chancers. Consumer laws protect me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Snake Nose wrote: »
    If this happened to me, I'd have my CC by now or a full refund...

I'd have phoned them as soon as they opened the next day, and if I didn't get IMMEDIATE satisfaction, I'd have driven down, and told them to take ithe car back and write me a cheque for a full refund, on the basis that the gave me something that I didn't order - it's not a complex issue. It's as simple as "I'd like a refund, as you haven't given me what I paid for". The law protects you in this situation. If they refused, I wouldn't leave. If they tried to remove me from the premises, I'd be having my friends videotape the whole scene anyway, of me remaining calm, and asking nicely if they'd please obey consumer laws and give me the refund I'm entitled to. If they removed me, I'd harrass them with phonecalls - i.e. constant redial, and congest their switchboard, until I got satisfaction. I'd also be in immediate contact with my solicitor & teh ombudsman. Oh, and I would leave the car on their forecourt, on the basis that it's not mine, and they owe me money. But it wouldn't get that far...

Know your rights, and put your foot down - be nice but firm and accept no excuses except 100% satisfaction! The law is on your side. "Item not as described" - it's a clearcut case, whether is something as simple as a dishwasher, or a car!

I always get what I'm entitled to, and I have NEVER been shafted by chancers. Consumer laws protect me.

damn right Snake Nose,

This is one of those times where you need to take a stand and not accept any shoite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Anan1 wrote: »
    want2play wrote: »
    OK, let's play a game of deductions. I'll start - my guess is that the dealer in question is that shining showpiece of customer service, Grandons in Cork!

do you have inside knowledge?

That would be my guess too, especially after my sister dealt with them on numerous occasions with similar responses as the OP

Lex Luthor wrote:
    do you have inside knowledge?

Read OPs two current threads on this forum and you can deduct it can only be that dealer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Okay - Thanks for bearing with me guys.

I got this offer by email.

He [FIAT Ireland] is willing to offer you a 24 month service programme, for the inconvenience caused.

The servicing of an 159 is quite costly and while I can get it serviced 2/3rds of it's life while under warranty it seems a good deal to me and € wise it's seems good too, considering the optional extra of CC is only €350.

I just need clarification back that I'll get the car serviced as per Irish regulations i.e. once a year and not just once in the two years.

BTW, I take it the Laois dealer doesn't have a petrol/Diesel station? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

You're being offed a credit note, albeit a potentially generous one.

So, for servicing, would you be tied to the dealer you purchased from?

Will the 24 months cover any major service interval do you think? Like timing belts - (I wouldn't think so)?

Is there an upper mileage limit? I.e 24 months/60,000km?

smcgiff wrote: »
    Okay - Thanks for bearing with me guys.

I got this offer by email.

He [FIAT Ireland] is willing to offer you a 24 month service programme, for the inconvenience caused.

The servicing of an 159 is quite costly and while I can get it serviced 2/3rds of it's life while under warranty it seems a good deal to me and € wise it's seems good too, considering the optional extra of CC is only €350.

I just need clarification back that I'll get the car serviced as per Irish regulations i.e. once a year and not just once in the two years.

BTW, I take it the Laois dealer doesn't have a petrol/Diesel station? :D
    Stop being such a sucker and get the fookin' CC you paid for! It makes me sick seeing people rolling over like a dog while getting shafted with lame "deals" to make you go away.

So the extra cash you paid for CC - that was for CC, or a 24-month service programme? Either stick to your guns fully, or don't bother complaining at all... You either wanted CC or you didn't. Do you work hard for your money, or are you happy to piss it away and get made a fool of by this dealer? It's not a simple "inconvenience", as they put it - it's quite simply a case of you not getting what you paid for, and being legally entitled to either 1) a full refund, or 2) getting the CC added so the car is exactly AS DESCRIBED. And they know this - if they thought they were right & it was your mistake, they would offer you nothing. They know where they stand (i.e. nowhere) and are hoping you'll go away like a sucker who doesn't know his rights.

Sorry for coming accross so aggressive - but don't accept mediocrity. Either demand 100% satisfaction for your money, or go away and stop complaining unless you're willing to take a stand. The middle ground here (i.e. their suggested/pathetic compromise) is just as bad as rolling over like a little bitch. IMO.

Here's an analogy: I preorder a spiffing new bike that's advertised as having 21 gears - I pay the extra because I want 21 gears as it's better than 15 or 18, etc. (ie higher spec). I get it home and discover there's only 18 gears. I bring it back and they offer me a free lock for my "inconvenience". What do I do? Do I need to continue? The situation is black & white...

You seemed like a man who was going to stick to his guns, so PLEASE don't be fobbed off by a pathetic offer of something you wouldn't have paid for in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

An earlier post mentioned the resale potential of the car. If you're going to keep it beyond the regular warranty then the extra 24 months sounds good and you can probably get the CC retrofitted anyway, but if you aren't going to keep it too long then maybe you should demand the CC. The 159 is a high end car and 2nd hand buyers will be picky if yours is the only one without CC on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Stop being such a sucker and get the fookin' CC you paid for! It makes me sick seeing people rolling over like a dog while getting shafted with lame "deals" to make you go away.

So the extra cash you paid for CC - that was for CC, or a 24-month service programme? Either stick to your guns fully, or don't bother complaining at all... You either wanted CC or you didn't. Do you work hard for your money, or are you happy to piss it away and get made a fool of by this dealer? It's not a simple "inconvenience", as they put it - it's quite simply a case of you not getting what you paid for, and being entitled to eitehr 1) a full refund, or 2) getting the CC added so teh car is AS DESCRIBED. And they know this - if they thought they were right & it was your mistake, they would offer you nothing. They know where they stand (i.e. nowhere) and are hoping you'll go away like a sucker who doesn't know his rights.

Sorry for coming accross so aggressive - but don't accept mediocrity. Either demand 100% satisfaction for your money, or go away and stop complaining unless you're willing to take a stand. The middle ground here (i.e. their suggested/pathetic compromise) is just as bad as rolling over like a little bitch.

Give that man a 10 minute consumer affairs spot on one of them dar afternoon shows with Blathnáid Ni Whatserface. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Do a bit of research as to whether cruise control can be retrofitted, try www.alfaowner.com or www.alfa156.net, if it can, take their servicing offer and sort out the cc yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mountain

free servicing is a bit vague, whos to day that when you have a service done,
    the garage wont find items that are not normally covered in a service.

Unless you can tie down exactly what they will give you under a service, that deal is too loose.

Of course, it moves you well away from the first time you posted about this,
    when really you needed that cc.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Do a bit of research as to whether cruise control can be retrofitted, try www.alfaowner.com or www.alfa156.net, if it can, take their servicing offer and sort out the cc yourself.

That would be my approach too. Especially if you can agree with the dealer that a timing belt change is included provided you hit 36k miles in two years!

mountain wrote: »
    Of course, it moves you well away from the first time you posted about this, when really you needed that cc.

Exactly:
    smcgiff wrote:
    This was supposed to be a standard feature FFS! And it's not here.

Cruise Control was a must have for the car I replaced my SAAB with.
    Where's that conviction gone? Or are you just opening your ass nice n' wide now to take a ghey service deal up your rectum?

smcgiff: Since you seem to be contemplating that lame service deal, where would you have drawn the line specifically? What if you ordered a sunroof and didn't get it - would that be okay too? Or what about alloy wheels? Or what if they accidentally gave you a smaller engine - would that also just be an "inconvenience"? What specifically is okay for you to bend over for, and what isn't? Where would you REALLY draw the line? Wrong colour? Or maybe you'd be okay with that if they offered you some washer liquid for the "inconvenience"...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭fletch

What happens if you get a few penalty points and a fine because you are caught "speeding" due to the lack of cruise control? i.e. doing 102kph in a 100kph zone for instance where, had you got cruise control, you could have set your speed to exactly 100kph. Tbh I would be taking Snake Nose's advice on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

TB's on the JTDm engines dont need replacing as often as the petrol engines.. 72K miles is good & safe enough for them.

The reply from FIAT Ireland was not from a gent with the initials CG was it?!

If your going to take a step back from your original determination to have what you ordered, I'd push the boat out and request more than just a 24 month service program. Especially if the CC can be retrofitted on the 159.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Stop being such a sucker and get the fookin' CC you paid for....Here's an analogy: I preorder a spiffing new bike that's advertised as having 21 gears - I pay the extra because I want 21 gears as it's better than 15 or 18, etc. (ie higher spec). I get it home and discover there's only 18 gears................The situation is black & white...

Or I suppose you could just throw a tantrum on the dealer's forecourt? Maybe lie on the ground kicking and screaming about how you know your rights and insist on not getting shafted.

The above analogy would be correct if the warranty service offer was indeed a middle ground compromise, like the 18 gears you mention. However, the fact that the warranty may be worth more than the CC option can invalidate the analogy.

This is where it pays to pause and think a bit, not just react. Ask the question: which is the better deal to me? Evaluate pros and cons.

I particularly liked those two suggestions: to negotiate a longer warranty service contract and to research a CC retro fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭alfarocks

ciarsd wrote: »
    TB's on the JTDm engines dont need replacing as often as the petrol engines.. 72K miles is good & safe enough for them.

They're due a change at 55K now I believe, I had one go at 66K..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I'd want one of the following:

A. My money back
    B. A retrofitted cruise control and servicing or reembursment for the inconvenience
    or
    C. A replacment with the correct spec that i ordered.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Or I suppose you could just throw a tantrum on the dealer's forecourt? Maybe lie on the ground kicking and screaming about how you know your rights and insist on not getting shafted.
    Nice reply - pity I never suggested that.
    However, the fact that the warranty may be worth more than the CC option can invalidate the analogy.
    If they retro fitted the CC, I would still expect a similar service deal for the "inconvenience" as well. No matter what happens now, the OP has ALREADY been inconvenienced. And what if I had planned on getting it serviced elsewhere? All that "offer" is doing, is making me go back to them for a service...and why would I want to do that anyway, since now I don't believe they can be trusted to deliver a high standard service?
    This is where it pays to pause and think a bit, not just react. Ask the question: which is the better deal to me?
    I have thought of everything. The beter deal is the CC he paid for, PLUS something for his incovenience. I bet the service deal costs the dealer less than the CC originally cost the OP, as they'll likely only have to replace some pads and and air filter - big deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

alfarocks wrote: »
    They're due a change at 55K now I believe, I had one go at 66K..

What year JTD engine? Newer Euro iv emissions lump (JTDm) or original JTD? 8v or 16v?

I was talking from a (Nov 07 built GT) JTDm 16v experience - sorry should've stated that.
    Has anything been done about petrol engined Alfa's - not read up on them much of late?

Would retrofitting the cruise control invalidate the warranty/servicing package?

If the OP does decide to take up the servicing offer, maybe he could suggest that the dealer also makes a contribution to his favourite charity, say 500 euros to the Simon Community. That way the OP is sorted with his servicing deal, and a charity also stands to benefit,

If the OP does decide to take up the servicing offer, maybe he could suggest that the dealer also makes a contribution to his favourite charity, say 500 euros to the Simon Community. That way the OP is sorted with his servicing deal, and a charity also stands to benefit,
    WTF does a charity have to do with it?

lol random post of the month! :d

Snake Nose, what are you so agressive over??

A charity would benefit from the error that happened, if the OP is prepared to take the service offer, and have the dealer make a contribution to a charity, then that seems like a good solution.

Snake Nose, what are you so agressive over??

A charity would benefit from the error that happened, if the OP is prepared to take the service offer, and have the dealer make a contribution to a charity, then that seems like a good solution.
    I'm not aggressive - but I don't see where a charity even comes into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think what you really need to do is make the decision whether you can live with it or not. If its possible to get it retrofitted, not by alfa, then would the warranty be valid? I still think the dealer is wrong and you can get it done. If its available as an optional extra, then all the wiring looms are there. Its just a reprogramming of the ECU and a stalk. The cars don't roll off the line, one with the wiring loom and one without.

The cost to you for 2 years servicing is a lot more than the cost to the garage. I still think they have short changed you. 55k and they treat you like this.

Cruise control is becoming a standard on most cars these days so it might give you a stumbling block come time to sell.

If it was me, I'd insist on the cc

Balls in your court now

Advertisement