Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental leave - what is the point?

Options
  • 04-02-2008 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Why do they bother having parental leave in Ireland? It is a joke. I have 2 3 month old boys who are terrible feeders, terrible sleepers, have reflux, etc etc. Neither of us get any sleep.

My wife has to deal with them all day and then I have to take over when I get home from work to give her a break. Just applied for parental leave to be told that they don't want to give it to me. If I apply now they will defer it for 6 months and they said they will most likely defer it another 6 months after that as they are allowed to do. So I need to apply now for leave next Feb. What the hell good is that to anyone...I may not need it then!

Also, why does it have to be in min 6 week blocks or one day a week? What if the wife gets sick and I need to mind them for a week? Does this mean that I need to know that she is going to get sick a year in advance so I can book time off to cover the work? And even then I would HAVE to take 6 weeks off even if I am needed only for a week? Are they not just encouraging people to call in "sick" themselves with such a retarded system?

Anyone know if this is just the usual backward thinking of this country or are our stupid parental guidelines common in other coutries also?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/parental_leave/?searchterm=parental%20leave
    Apart from a refusal on the grounds on non-entitlement, an employer may also postpone the leave for up to six months. This must be done before the confirmation document is signed. Grounds for such a postponement include lack of cover or the fact that other employees are already on parental leave. Normally only one postponement is allowed.

It would seem that your employer does not want you to have this entitlement at all...
    The 14 weeks per child may be taken in one continuous period or in separate blocks of a minimum of six weeks. If your employer agrees you can separate your leave into periods of days or even hours.

I think your employer can divide it up anyway they wish but they have to offer a minimum of a 6 week block.

Perhaps if you spoke with them and came to an alternative arrangement where you wouldn't be taking 6 or 14 weeks off in one block (i.e. your company would not have to provide cover) they might let you have it when you want/need it.

In my opinion parental leave is just a token entitlement that the majority of parents don't/can't afford to use. I am sure that when the recent legislation increased the age of the child for which you can use this leave from 5 years to 8 years, it made very little difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

You should ask them what their grounds for postponement are, can they not get cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The usual excuses...tight deadline at end of year and not enough cover. The 2nd deferment mentioned mystifies me though. It is only allowed for "seasonal variations in the volume of work". Don't understand how that can apply to software engineering where there is always a deadline to work to. I could possibly understand it with something like agricultural work where there is only a set time in the year where certain work can be done.

Anyhow, the whole thing stinks really and is a complete waste of time. As High&Low said, it is just a token entitlement to make you think the government is trying to help you out whereas in fact it is totally useless and not at all helpful when you might actually need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Perhaps you should look to some sort of arrangement like working from home for a day or two which might allow both sides to met in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

No answer for you on parental leave - on our third child and now working for myself but before that neither my company or DH's company would oblige with anything other than take all 14 weeks together (yeah right!! and how to pay mortgage, creche fees etc during that time:rolleyes::mad:)
    But if your wife is taken ill you are entiteld to "force majeur" leave not much I'm afraid - but 5 days over 2 years and a max of 3 at any one time (I think)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I was in the same dilemma. My daughter would not settle with a creche or childminder and was evicted from both. She would not stay with anybody else bar my husband and I. When i mentioned parental leave to the boss, I was told there was already one member of staff taking one day per week leave and we're so understaffed she couldn't afford to let me have it. Like you, OP, I can't see the point in having it!
    Do you work in the public sector? I found out in an emergency you're entitled to take special leave without pay, you can give as little as one day's notice for this leave, and you can take it for up to one year. I don't know if this applies in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's long past time we had proper paternal leave here.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The phrase live to work, or work to live is never so apt. In this country it comes down to the quality of the place you work in and the people you work with. Theres either empathy for others or there isn't. The better places allow you to spread it out. Like a day or two a week. Thats probably the ideal way to get it. Unless of course you can afford to take it en masse. If you get family and friends to give you a hand over the first few months it makes a big difference. Getting your sleep is important. Otherwise both parents risk getting sick and thats no use. I switched to a job with easier hours for ours, less money but it was worth it. If your in IT Software, its probably easy to move around. I had one contract let me work from home one I hit the project deadlines.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Both of us have taken parental leave and have found it ideal for when the kids go to school..herself is on 3 half-days and 1 do one half-day per week and we use leave for the other halfer..

However for emergencies etc you're back on the understading of your boss..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 R&R

"Why do they bother having parental leave in Ireland?"

Should read "Why do they have parental leave in my job?".

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be working out for your particular circumstances but it works reasonably well for many others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Ivicia

It is my understanding that it can only be deferred once. It is a statutory entitlement that you must be granted. You are now entitled to take in min 6 weeks block - up to now the employer could insist that it be taken in one block. Holiday entitlemnet does not reduce so bear this in mind also.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ludo wrote: »
    Just applied for parental leave to be told that they don't want to give it to me. If I apply now they will defer it for 6 months and they said they will most likely defer it another 6 months after that as they are allowed to do.

Assholes tbh. They obviously don't care about you. Leave. The jobs market is good for those with software engineering experience at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭eugenedoc1

I am in the same situation as yourself. My last daughter was born in november 2008. I applied for parental leave in mid january 2009 and was told head office has approved it. It was up my manager to find cover to facilitate the leave. Its now the end of march and after repeated requests for an update my line manager recently told me she does'nt have cover for annual leave or sick leave never mind parental leave.(management issue or what!!)
    My wife is now suffering form Post Natal and support from family is non existant, i sorely need this entitlement.
    I have contacted my union SIPTU and was told that my employer can postpone this only for 6 months.After this they are obliged to grant you this entitlement. Google parental leave either siptu or www.citizensinformation.ie
    Im now pushing the company head office for a response to my application.
    This place really is a backwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Khannie wrote: »
    The jobs market is good for those with software engineering experience at the moment.

Had a double take at this until I saw the date. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

It is entirly up the to the employers discression, because they have to cover leave. A friend of mine works as a Nurse (so there is plenty of cover) she takes one parental day off a week. It means she only works 4 days a week, but it doesnt apply to her night duty.

Advertisement