Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rice bridge lifts.

• 04-02-2008 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

does anyone know where there i can get this info?
    I go to wd once a week, soon to become twice a week, and id rather avoid a bridge lift if i could...
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

angryaine wrote: »
    does anyone know where there i can get this info?
    I go to wd once a week, soon to become twice a week, and id rather avoid a bridge lift if i could...
    thanks

As you cross the bridge coming into town there's an electronic sign that tells you when the next one is scheduled for.

You could also check AA Roadwatch (www.aaroadwatch.ie) before setting out - they usually have them.

Maybe try calling the city council or checking their website (www.waterfordcity.ie) ... maybe they post this information online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That sign is useless unless traffic is moving slowly - it scrolls across at half the speed you need.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

mike65 wrote: »
    That sign is useless unless traffic is moving slowly - it scrolls across at half the speed you need.

Mike.
    haha lol im always missing it myself.
    traffic needs to be crawling to see the dates on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I cannot be certain about this but as far as I know they lift the bridge at midnight on the first Friday of each month to check it operates properly.

There are not many bridge lifts for shipping nowadays, but you could be unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They lift the bridge when a vessel heads up to Fiddown Bridge to the oil depot but thats only on a high tide as far as I know. I think the Morris oil tanks are being moved downstream of the bridge but not certain of that.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

mike65 wrote: »
    They lift the bridge when a vessel heads up to Fiddown Bridge to the oil depot but thats only on a high tide as far as I know. I think the Morris oil tanks are being moved downstream of the bridge but not certain of that.

Mike.
    Yup, you're correct. It was actually one of the main stumbling blocks when plans were being drawn up for the new bridge. There'll be fewer bridge lifts once the tanks are moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

I had reason to travel from Carlow to Waterford on almost a daily basis.
    for a month before Christmas In this time there was only 1 bridge lift that affected me,but believe me the process is a lot less of a nuisance and less time consuming that the train level crossing at the Crannagh (?) Junction just before you reach swaterford. A train is due in around 5.30 but with CIE's punctuality this can vary considerably. So forget about the bridge lift and get a cie timetable and try to avoid the area within 10 minutes on each side of the scheduled arrival/departure times....and of course there are also goods trains...Good luck.

That's true. The Grannagh level crossing is a worse disruptor than any bridge lifts. I work in KK, and coming home last night there was a massive queue right out by Dunkitt. Worse, what little movement there was inbound on the N9 favoured all the drivers coming in from the N24 direction, as they had priority at the crappy little roundabout there.

After 30 minutes of queueing, I reached the pinch point: some engineers were doing work on the level crossing. Now I know it's necessary, and they probably started work around 7.30 so as not to cause disruption during rush hour, but if they could just have put diversions in place via Smartscastle (?) - that little road that runs under the bridge opposite the Night Cap, I could have saved half an hour of sitting twiddling my thumbs.

At least the new roads under construction will do away with the level crossing. Roll on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

fricatus wrote: »
    The Grannagh level crossing is a worse disruptor than any bridge lifts.

But a complete blessing for those of us coming in from Ferrybank direction - not having to yield to anything at the roundabout really speeds things up on our side :)

But a complete blessing for those of us coming in from Ferrybank direction - not having to yield to anything at the roundabout really speeds things up on our side :)

Hehe, ye Wexies are in trouble come 2009 when the level crossing is bypassed! Although, having said that, ye can use the new bridge... although given that ye'll have to pay a toll, ye'll still use Ricer... I never saw a Wexy stick his hand in his pocket for anything other than his phone! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

fricatus wrote: »
    Worse, what little movement there was inbound on the N9 favoured all the drivers coming in from the N24 direction, as they had priority at the crappy little roundabout there.

Now you know what us coming in from the N24 had to put up with for decades when there was no roundabout;)

Advertisement