Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Shorts

• 04-02-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Just though I'd throw my shorts up here to see what people think...

My First Short
    TURN

"An unexpected turn changes Peters outlook on life."

My Second
    My BALL

"A film about a man and his relationship with his ball."

I did it a bit arse ways in that I did a 15 min four day shoot 16 months in post for my first and then did a 4 min one evening shoot one night edit for the second...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Just watched your 2 shorts there man, there very good.

Turn had a lot of potential to be a great short but it was too long, and the over used what if moments were boring and slightly predictable near the and. Also the camera pan and fade shot must have happened 10 times in 5 minutes at the start. Some of the acting was over done but it was watchable. Fair play.

My Ball was shot well but i'm not a fan of black and white unless its actually set up in black and white [with lights, shadows and clothes etc.] and not just done with a click of a button. But it was everything you'd expect from a short so fair play...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

craze7 wrote: »
    Just watched your 2 shorts there man, there very good.

Turn had a lot of potential to be a great short but it was too long, and the over used what if moments were boring and slightly predictable near the and. Also the camera pan and fade shot must have happened 10 times in 5 minutes at the start. Some of the acting was over done but it was watchable. Fair play.

Thanks for checking out my short and giving your opinions…

But in fairness now, 10? I take it you’re on about the bedroom scene which was one sequence and went like…

Pan right - fade to black
    Fade up - tilt up – pan left - fade to black
    Fade up - pan right - fade to black
    Fade up - pan left

In saying that, that wasn’t the way I would have liked to have done that sequences but due to location restraints and other logistical reasons we had to go to plan B

And I think the fade to black was used only once more towards the end not including the fade out at the end.

Where was some of this over acting?
    craze7 wrote: »
    My Ball was shot well but i'm not a fan of black and white unless its actually set up in black and white [with lights, shadows and clothes etc.] and not just done with a click of a button. But it was everything you'd expect from a short so fair play...

As for My Ball while I know where you’re coming from with regards the black and white. This piece was written so that it would cost nothing to make with no crew and one actor (Although some people have said that the ball stole the show:D)

Also from the day I wrote it I could only picture it in B&W…a simple story about a simple man… and what’s more simple than B&W…

As you guessed it was shot in colour with it taken out in post. I had for a moment considered leaving it in as we shot it in the middle of July, one of the good evenings we had and the colour was beautiful, the yellow, the greens, the flowers in bloom, the whole lot… but that would have distracted from the Man and his Ball. The man dose not care for the colour of the plants around him or the sound of the farmers cutting corn, note the lack of sound other than his thoughts (and music).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

i know what ur saying, keep it up man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lumix

I liked ball, very different but well done, the black and white worked well i thought, but was alittle over exposed in some spots. All in all it was a good short.
    keep them coming!

Advertisement