Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online radio licenses/other issues

Options
  • 04-02-2008 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I know there is lot's of information on this out there, and I have been and will be Googling extensively, but I would like to get some feedback from anybody with firsthand experience of this sector of websites.

If one was to look toward building a new www.pandora.com, or LastFM, etc. what does one need to look into regarding a license to stream music on the internet?

And secondly, where can one source all the music? Is it a case that you simply store it all on a massive server and have to acquire it yourself? Or are there other ways of making a huge number of songs across the spectrum of artists available?

Looking forward to your responses,

Mirror

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Dunno, personally, I think a chat to irma would be no harm...

I had a similar idea before, and I found myself running around in circles regarding legality/copyright and all that crap... so I decided to just forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Aye, I thought about IRMA, but then my legislation would be worldwide, considering the music would come from everywhere and the streaming would be gonig to everywhere (theoretically speaking...)

Any other thoughts folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Mirror wrote: »
    Aye, I thought about IRMA, but then my legislation would be worldwide, considering the music would come from everywhere and the streaming would be gonig to everywhere (theoretically speaking...)

Any other thoughts folks?
    For the record, music laws, are localised, and so if you have a server hosted in ireland with music on it, it follows irish law. For example, allofmp3 was a russian website going by russian rules. although people felt russian rules were too leniant.

On the other hand, IRMA may not welcome such a site, and the information may not be as helpful as you would like it to be.

I'm sorry i wasn't of more assisstance...

NevF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Actually that was very helpful, as I wasn't aware of that! Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm not entirely certain thats accurate, IMO you should consult a lawyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'm not entirely certain thats accurate, IMO you should consult a lawyer.

What Aidan says ...

Russia has very different laws regarding the licensing of music (something along the lines of the owner of the music has the right to distribute that music as they see fit ... hence allofmp3 were able to sell at next to nothing)

Ireland on the other hand is more in line with us / uk law

You might want to read through this old enough article ...
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070305-internet-radio-may-face-crippling-fees.should-xm-radio-and-sirius-be-alarmed.html

Also seek Legal council ... what you've heard here won't hold up in a court of law

Future quotes being along the lines of
    But nevf told me it'd be ok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

licenses and royalties are collected locally. the organisation that does this in Ireland for all international and national artists is IMRO.

they will come after you at some stage and the licenses are quite pricey. it's all dependent on how long you can go under their radar for. personally i ran a site with over 1,500 bands on it with some 5,000 songs uploaded before IMRO came knocking and even then we were kinda let away with it (though that was more because we were doing what IMRO should have been doing ;)

anyways, to answer your question in full you will need to contact Brendan Griffin in IMRO (his email is brendan.griffin@imro.ie )

they guys in IMRO are very helpful , informative and approachable. if you need any further help of pointers feel free to bang me a PM

Advertisement