Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get new steam wand?

Options
  • 04-02-2008 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I have a Gaggia Evolution espresso machine which comes with the pannarello steam wand. The plastic nut that holds it onto the metal pipe seemingly had a weakness and it has become a multi-part component (read broken into bits) despite no ill treatment.

Therefore I need a new one. That being said I'd prefer a fully metal steam wand. I've seen some mention of fitting a different steam wand to Gaggia machines and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not a different type will fit my machine and also where to get it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jimmytwo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

+1 for Happy Donkey.

Give Scott a call on +44 1189 759 858 and he should be able to
    sort you out.

Another option is to try Gaggia UK, 0870 442 0300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Great minds and all that eh?

I hadn't realised that Happy Donkey did parts mainly, I think, cos I've never scrolled down far enough on the page!

Damn. Emailed Happy Donkey this afternoon to enquire about shipping only to get the following back...
    Scott wrote:
    unfortunately for the time being we will now only ship if
    you have a uk postcode.

Anyone know anywhere else to get it? I see that Ristretto have Rancilio spares but no steam wand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

If you can't get one closer to home, the guys at http://www.espressoparts.com/ will probably sort you out if you drop them an email explaining what you want. They seem to carry just about every spare on the planet, they ship to Ireland and are very knowledgable when it comes to customizing machines.

Disclaimer: I've never bought anything from them personally, but they're very widely praised on the net for the quality of their service. I did enquire after a part last year. They were extremely helpful and would have supplied it, but I found one locally in the end. They were going to charge 15.50 to ship a steam wand to me from the USA, which I thought was expensive but not at all extortionate. Total price they quoted for the wand plus shipping was around $50.

• Advertisement

They do have them for just shy of $23. However, according to their website, it would cost about $50 for shipping! (they use fedex). When you enquired did they offer to use usps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Yes, I contacted them direct and they sent me a revised estimate with a price for usps delivery. They seem like decent people so it's definitely worth asking. Mad that you can't find one nearer to home though.

Goodluck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sorry to see that Happydonkey no longer ship to Ireland.
    Have you spoken to Scott or dropped him an email?

I've ordered parts from both Happydonkey and Gaggia UK.

Did you phone Gaggia UK? Their shipping was quiet reasonable
    the few times I used them.

I filled in the contact form on the Happy Donkey website and the quote above is from the reply email. It's a pity.

TBH I don't really want to get a replacement bit for the machine as I'm more keen on getting a proper steam wand without the pannarello attachment.

I'm currently tracking one on ebay but if that falls through I'll be mailing the guys in espressoparts.

Finally got one of these. The one on ebay got away so I contacted espressoparts.com. They were extremely quick to get back to me and were more than happy to ship via usps. Got it yesterday evening (there was a delay in them getting it back in stock) and it works perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Is it just the standard Rancilio Silvia wand you've got, and is it a direct replacement for the Gaggia one or is there some foostering involved? I'm not averse to foostering, just curious...

It is the standard Silvia wand.

The nut which comes with the steam wand needs to be replaced with the one from the Gaggia machine - simply take off the tip and slide the ugly rubber bit (I left this off as I imagine it would be a nightmare to keep clean) and nut off and then slide on the Gaggia one.

Depending on the Gaggia machine you have the most awkward bit will be getting the covers off to unbolt the old wand and bolt on the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

I recently orderd and received a steam wand from Happy Donkey. I was told to put their address as the posting address and my own as the billing address and it arrived a few days later no hassle.

FYI I Had to file down the end with a Kife Steel cause it was about 1mm too thick for my Gaggia Classic...

Advertisement