Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leak in ceiling

Options
  • 04-02-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭

advice and opinions sought here...

a few weeks ago a tile blew off my roof in high winds - it was actually half a tile from right beside the chimney, far too high for me to go up and replace myself. I checked the area through binoculars and it looked like it was well covered by the flashing from the chimney, so I left it.

the other day I noticed water stains on the sitting room ceiling - several stains in the same corner of the room. Obviously this has come from the missing tile you might think, but I'm not so sure... there's no sign of any leak in the bedroom above the sitting room, or in the (converted) attic above that.

Also the corner of the sitting room with the leaks is directly under the hotpress which has all the central-heating pipes going through it, so I'm suspecting a leaking pipe (but there no signs of a leak in the hot press either).

So whats the best way of finding where the leak is coming from - do I need to cut a hole in the ceiling? Do I need a plumber or a roofer? Anyone any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I would replace the tile first as you have to do that anyway, if the problem persists, then get the plumber in.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I had a leak in my ceiling recently which caused a fairly big stain on the ceiling.The issue was to do with a loose connection on a copper pipe(when house was built it was not tightened properly). The only way to access pipe really was to break through a hole in ceiling and tighten from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

when the cylinder is cool check the joints to the cylinder
    and any other ones you can see with a dry piece of kitchen paper
    this will show if any of them are weeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

found a leak recently...ie ten minutes ago....:mad: and it was caused by rainwater running down a tv coax that was comming from the antenna on the chimney. it found its way to the nearest downlighter in the office by trickling down the coax.you would be surprised how water can follow gravity trough ducts and conduits. if posible i would lift a floor board over the ceiling in the bedroom to see if there are wires or pipes comming from the attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dave09

:confused:i have a leak in the sitting room over where the chimney meets side wall i live in a bunglow just got the flashing done and its still the same the floor on the attic is bone dry had 2 roofers out and they dont know what is causing it anyone any suddestions

• Advertisement
Advertisement