Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noisy Brakes!

Options
  • 04-02-2008 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

I've got my test coming up in 3 weeks. However my brakes can be very noisy like a screechy sound almost like metal on metal seems to be worse in wet weather, I usually drown the sound out with the radio but this wont be an option in the exam.

I got them checked by my mechanic a while ago and he said they're fine and the brake pads we're hardly worn some cars just tend to make that noise from time to time. The car has also passed the NCT a few months ago so the brakes are fine.

Would this go against you in the driving test though??? It is pretty loud and does sound like theres a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Noisy brakes are ok, the tester is not qualified to say that your brakes are not adequate. Mine were slight bit noisy when doing my test

A good way to get rid of the noisy brakes is to apply some copper grease to the back of the pads where the piston pushes on them . Copper grease available at most motor factors.

This is proabably best suited in Motor Forum than Learning to Drive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

You breaks could need new disc, even if you brake pads are ok.

Usually what happens is when the previous set of pads have worn down to metal on metal, it leaves a scare in the metal on disc.

So when you break with your fresh new pads, what is actully happening is a vibration from that scare line around the disc. As suggested, the copper will help but will only assist for a while as it is usually used to break the pads in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ian-101-

Thanks guys,

as i said my mechanic said the brake pads and plates are fine, im just worried that in my test the tested might think im not taking correct care of my car and fail me as a result!

I suppose if they do make alot of noise on the day ill just explain that i got them checked and theyre fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Ian-101- wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

as i said my mechanic said the brake pads and plates are fine, im just worried that in my test the tested might think im not taking correct care of my car and fail me as a result!

I suppose if they do make alot of noise on the day ill just explain that i got them checked and theyre fine.

if the tester does say any thing about the break pads which i know he wont. he will see the nct disc anyway which confirms that the car is in sound condition . so you'v nothing to worrie about;)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

that was my worry as well when i was doing my test!!! i got my car serviced just 3 days before my test. And right after the service i had a lesson, my instuctor taught me how to do an emgency brake ( clutch in and brake at the same time ) and my brake was noisy... my instructor said this is is see if ur capable to perform an emergency brake and see how the brakes are off the car..and he said mine were very noisy!!! told him got it serviced, so he said thats fine as long as you got proof.

went on my test not a bother. And passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

he will see the nct disc anyway which confirms that the car is in sound condition
    The NCT disc only confirms that the car was roadworthy on the day of their test (and according to their standards). The NCT test could have been done just under 2 years ago and the disc could expire the day after the driving test.

Advertisement