Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem connecting to wireless broadband (posted in wireless, but it may be for here)

Options
  • 04-02-2008 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Howdy. My cousin recently moved into my apartment and I've been trying to get her Dell PC to connect to the eircom wireless broadband connection I have in the apartment. Every time we try to connect, the computer simply wont connect. The connection comes up as broken (using connection wizard on XP). When we try to repair the connection, the computer goes through the process until it gets to a process called 'renewing your IP address' and then it tells us this cannot be completed.

The connection I have is private and passworded. We've tried (as a test) to connect to an unsecured network in the area but even this does not work. I think it may be a problem with the PC. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and what may be a solution.

Oh yeah, I tried renewing the IP address using the cmd prompt, but not even this worked.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hmmmmmm. Too many unknowns.

To be clear, this is NOT wireless broadband. If it's eircom, you are more than likely getting your internet over your phone line [DSL]. I assume that you have a wireless router or wireless access point. Wireless internet is a total different sack of spuds.

Are you using WEP / WPA / WPA2 wifi security?
    If you are using the default eircom security [which you SHOULDN'T be] then all I can say is RTFM. The information IS there.
    What router are you using [exact make and model, I don't know what eircom supply]?
    Provide screenshots of every tab in the XP wifi config screen. Don't show passwords in this thread. We don't need and don't want to know.

The easiest way to fix this is to attach the DELL machine to the router / wifi AP and surf to it's control panel. You can then copy the password into your clipboard and paste it into your XP wifi configuration. Disconnect your network cable and it should just work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If your broadband is connecting then this is nothing to do with broadband and instead is a wireless config issue, please don't cross post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement